Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008...ormula-one-bbc

Murray Walker returns to BBC's F1 commentary team
    Murray Walker is to be part of the BBC formula one commentary team next year - but only on the web.
    VERSTAPPEN: ‘If I’d let Sainz past, dad would’ve kicked me in the nuts!’

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I really liked Jim Rosenthal, his awkwardness was hilarious, and hugely entertaining, and done in a likable way as well I thought.

And I appreciated how he came from a non-F1 background, and grew to really appreciate the sport.

with Ted, I'm pretty neutral, I wouldn't really miss him if he didn't follow to the BBC, but I can't say I'm disappointed or excited that he has. He done a good job.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    Quite a few people seem to be worried about Legard, it's the same on the BBC forums - he was the first BBC Motorsport correspondent, as opposed to Motor Racing commentator. A position that no longer exits sadly, as it's brief included WRC, BTCC, Le Mans. I've got no real problem with him.
    I think he's an excellent sports broadcaster, but I was never 100 per cent convinced by him as F1 commentator on 5 Live. Difficult to say why. Nonetheless, I'm sure he'll do a good job.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    I think he's an excellent sports broadcaster, but I was never 100 per cent convinced by him as F1 commentator on 5 Live. Difficult to say why. Nonetheless, I'm sure he'll do a good job.
    I think it comes down to the right voice and delivery as a commentator. People like Murray Walker, Ben Edwards, David Croft, Martin Haven, you can hear their joy and genuine enthusiasm from their voice whereas with Legard you're left wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    I think it comes down to the right voice and delivery as a commentator. People like Murray Walker, Ben Edwards, David Croft, Martin Haven, you can hear their joy and genuine enthusiasm from their voice whereas with Legard you're left wondering.
    Well, to be honest, I find anybody who is verging on the hysterical when commentating to grate a little.

Interestingly, when I lived in Italy, the commentary team (Clay Regazzoni was the expert) were, perhaps surprisingly, very dead-pan and never hyper.

I much preferred it to Walker's efforts. I'm not brain-dead, so prefer not to be treated as such.

Mind you, it was the mid 80's, and Italian F1 fans had feck all to get excited about.

Although, if you'd ever heard the French guy on Europe 1 radio in the early 80's, you'd think that Walker & Allen were heavily sedated.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tamburello
    Well, to be honest, I find anybody who is verging on the hysterical when commentating to grate a little.

Interestingly, when I lived in Italy, the commentary team (Clay Regazzoni was the expert) were, perhaps surprisingly, very dead-pan and never hyper.

I much preferred it to Walker's efforts. I'm not brain-dead, so prefer not to be treated as such.

Mind you, it was the mid 80's, and Italian F1 fans had feck all to get excited about.
    I didn't mean it as such, though 'verging on the hysterical' is where I put Charlie Cox. He doesn't know when to stop cracking jokes and seems to be getting to the point where Steve Parrish is finding it tiresome at times when he wants to move on and be seriously analytical.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Will be good to hear MW commentating a bit again.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knock-on
    Will be good to hear MW commentating a bit again.
    From what I can see his role is as a pundit in the studio, but still it's still fantastic to have the prospect of his return. He may not be up to live commentating any more but the recent TV stuff I've seen him do, e.g. the One Show mini-feature about Mike Hawthorn, he's still more than capable of TV work.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    From what I can see his role is as a pundit in the studio, but still it's still fantastic to have the prospect of his return. He may not be up to live commentating any more but the recent TV stuff I've seen him do, e.g. the One Show mini-feature about Mike Hawthorn, he's still more than capable of TV work.
    Yes, sorry. I meant doing some features and discussions.

Would be great to see him doing a pit lane walk about