Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Giuseppe F1
    Bernie says that this is to put emphasis on the top guys to win rather than settle for points.

Problem is, not everyone is a "top guy" or in a podium winning car so what is the motivation for drivers in the now very competitive F1 midfield?

To race for 'classification' rather than 'points' - just seems so unneccasary!

OK, Lewis won the title by only crossing the line in 5th but.....SO WHAT?!!!!!!!

This is a title which runs over a WHOLE SEASON and it was just a point that he finished 5th in that race, he still won others which put him in that position for the title in the first place.

Massa finished races lower than 1st and so if he won the title in Brazil by finished 1st, it just would have been the chance that the 1st occured at the final race to make it all the more dramatic.

A championship is one over a WHOLE SEASON and not a SINGLE RACE.

An F1 season is not a 'RACE OF CHAMPIONS' style shoot-out and never will be

LEAVE THINGS ALONE!!!

calm down nothing is for sure

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    A horrible idea. I thought it was an April Fool, and am dead against it.

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    I was watching a video about Damon Hill's championship season recently and during his commentary Murray Walker mentioned how rare it was that a WDC went down to the final race of the year.

It may have been rare then, but it has become increasingly common recently, and much of that is down to the points system, particulary the narrower points gap between 1st & 2nd which was introduced at the start of the 2003 season (IIRC). Of course there are those who argue that that change was purely aimed at negating MS's advantage, but it has undoubtedly close up the WDC.

Perhaps it has done that to the extent of encouraging consistent points finishes, not wins. A win, comparatively, is not as valued as it was in terms of the points race.

Bernie's idea attempts to address that, and place the emphasis on winning races being the deciding factor. I'm not sure that's wrong as such, but perhaps it is too radical an idea.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Another move to make F1 more of a show and less of a motorsport!
    More show => more tv audience => more money for the mop head greedy little gnome.
    Why is that I'm not at all surprised?

Tell you what, F1 is going to die if Bernie doesn't leave. Times are changing, people's view of thing are changing too, but Bernie is way to old and slowed by his senility and greed to see all this happening.

This crisis we are going through now is gonna change some things dramatically (let's hope it will be in the right direction).

Max has been taking some steps in the right direction by trying to paint a greener image of F1 and this might help, but not as long as the midget is pulling in the wrong direction.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    did they not change to points with 8 points after michael won the title so early in the year. why not just go back to 10 6 4
    VERSTAPPEN: ‘If I’d let Sainz past, dad would’ve kicked me in the nuts!’

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderbolt
    why not just go back to 10 6 4
    That would make to much logic! In today's world you need to "change" no matter if it's good or not cause some will still buy it because it's "new"!
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderbolt
    why not just go back to 10 6 4
    Perhaps because WDC's could again be won "too soon". There no doubt that a last race title decider generates more interest than if the title is settled with a number of races to go, but awarding medals wouldn't necessarily solve that particular issue.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Quote Originally Posted by Malllen
    The 10-6-4-3-2-1 points scheme never seemed to promote cruising for points. I don't see why that can't just be reverted to instead of this medals rubbish.
    I never understood why it had to be changed.

Oh, hold on....it was to stop Ferrari running away with the title.

And to think some people really believe that the FIA stands for Ferrari International Assistance.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    This is a stupid idea. One of the more interesting things for me is the points battle.

This will just eliminate 17 drivers from caring in every race.

It's not A1 GP. However at least they get points as well as medals.

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    so 17 race season, Hamilton wins the first 9 races, with Massa second in each, then Massa wins the remaining 8 and Hamilton fails to finish at all, but takes the title 9 golds to 8, although in points Massa would be streets ahead (152 - 90)? also the title would be dead at 9 wins, regardless of the races left, even if someone could theoretically take more points

very simplistic, but stranger things have happened (last lap in Brazil anyone)
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.