Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    It's interesting to read a couple of the comments from the Barcelona test:

Robert Kubica: "Of course we lose a lot of downforce compared to the 2008 car. But because we are back from grooved to slick tyres, we have substantially more grip in slow corners. So with some more development I don't think there will be too big a difference between the 2009 and 2008 cars."

Marc Gene: "We got rid of as many things as possible, to try to create the downforce we'll have the next season. But the main thing is the slicks. I couldn't directly compare them, but the first feeling is that the grip delivered by the new tyres compensates the lower downforce."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72177

The more things change, the more they stay the same
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1

Robert Kubica: "Of course we lose a lot of downforce compared to the 2008 car. But because we are back from grooved to slick tyres, we have substantially more grip in slow corners. So with some more development I don't think there will be too big a difference between the 2009 and 2008 cars."

Marc Gene: "We got rid of as many things as possible, to try to create the downforce we'll have the next season. But the main thing is the slicks. I couldn't directly compare them, but the first feeling is that the grip delivered by the new tyres compensates the lower downforce."

But they aren't the same.

Aerodynamic grip is easily lost when in turbulent air, whereas mechanical grip from the tyres & chassis is not affected whatsoever.

In theory therefore, it should be a whole lot easier to get closer to the car in front and precipitate that most rare of natural occurences - a genuine overtake.

However, don't underestimate the genius of aerodynamicists. They are cunning swines whose mantra is "What the good lord taketh away, the wind-tunnel giveth back eventually"

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

The difference will be that mechanical grip coming from the tyres wont be gone as soon as you get close to the car in front in a turn
    I got my motorcycle jacket, but I'm walking all the time...

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tamburello
    I was simply referring to Kubica's comment that "I don't think there will be too big a difference between the 2009 and 2008 cars". That despite major changes to the regs.

Hopefully the increased mechanical grip will improve the racing, but much of what I've read about the prospects for the new cars confirms your aerodynamicists mantra that much of the lost aero grip will be recovered.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

I was simply referring to Kubica's comment that "I don't think there will be too big a difference between the 2009 and 2008 cars". That despite major changes to the regs.

Hopefully the increased mechanical grip will improve the racing, but much of what I've read about the prospects for the new cars confirms your aerodynamicists mantra that much of the lost aero grip will be recovered.
    I read Kubica's comments as referring to the respective pace of the cars, not the way they will perform to get that pace.

Gene's comments seem to endorse that.

That said, give those aero buggers enough time & soon enough you'll be bemoaning the loss of all the winglets, chimneys and horns that gave us such a competitive field!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tamburello

Aerodynamic grip is easily lost when in turbulent air, whereas mechanical grip from the tyres & chassis is not affected whatsoever.

In theory therefore, it should be a whole lot easier to get closer to the car in front and precipitate that most rare of natural occurences - a genuine overtake.

However, don't underestimate the genius of aerodynamicists. They are cunning swines whose mantra is "What the good lord taketh away, the wind-tunnel giveth back eventually"
    I doubt that very much, in anything other than a slow corner, were they have no trouble following closely anyway, aerodynamic grip is the determining factor, not mechanical. It might be that they can follow closely through mid to fast corners now or they might not, we wont know until they start racing, but I doubt the mechanical grip will be the defigning factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper
    I doubt that very much, in anything other than a slow corner, were they have no trouble following closely anyway, aerodynamic grip is the determining factor, not mechanical. It might be that they can follow closely through mid to fast corners now or they might not, we wont know until they start racing, but I doubt the mechanical grip will be the defigning factor.
    Aerodynamics will always play a part, but these regulations would appear to have moved the emphasis towards mechanical grip. With that shift in emphasis, the turbulent air from a car is not such a defining factor.

For now.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i see chris bangle has moved across to the F1 team...
    the wise man does at once what the fool does finally - macchiavelli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Even IRL crap wagon looks pretty now !

I dont agree with the new rules, F1 should be an enginering sport too ! Overtaking, yes of course, but i still think this is the wrong way to go, i would rather see a push to pass button, and and tourbo engine to boots overtaking, than this, a crying same, and a bad move by F1 !

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Claus Hansen
    Even IRL crap wagon looks pretty now !

I dont agree with the new rules, F1 should be an enginering sport too ! Overtaking, yes of course, but i still think this is the wrong way to go, i would rather see a push to pass button, and and tourbo engine to boots overtaking, than this, a crying same, and a bad move by F1 !
    Big wings and silly winglets are the things which have made F1 somewhat of a snorefest for the last few years. This year was exciting in some ways but it wasn't the cars that provided the excitement.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.