Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDS
    As I understand it the IRL offered them three weekends, the ones around Japan and selection of weekends in March. I understand they also offered to run it again as a non-points event. Yeah, it sucks, yeah TG should have found a way to make it work, but from what I've heard the Aussies were unwilling to negotiate on anything, so really, its not entirely his fault.
    The dates around the Japan race were too close to the grand finals for the AFL and NRL, not to mention being right in the middle of the Phillip Island 500 and Bathurst 1000 V8 Supercar races, which would have made it impossible for the V8's to show up at the Gold Coast.

The date in March clashed with the F1 Grand Prix in Melbourne (which has far more support than IndyCar in Australia).

The alternative dates offered were ones that didn't fit in with major events in Australia.

Back when the Gold Coast Indy was in March, the F1 was held in Adelaide at the end of the year. When the F1 moved to Melbourne and became the first race of the season, CART moved their race to the October date within a couple of years. IIRC CART and F1 only clashed for 96 and 97.

The best way for the IRL to handle this was to schedule a final round in the US one or two weeks after the Gold Coast Indy (and not at Homestead either, that's another ridiculous idea from the lemmings running the IRL IMHO). The short schedule of IndyCar is really a joke. What other major racing series has it's finale way back in the middle of September?

As for A1GP taking over, well the QLD government has gone from a series that's weak but at least has momentum and credibility to one that has serious doubts about its future. Hardly a brilliant move. I expect that the Gold Coast event won't last much longer, which is a pity for racing fans everywhere.
    Q: Juan, can you explain your gesture on the last lap to Michael?
    JPM: I just said ‘what happened, what were you thinking’. That’s all.
    MS: I thought you were congratulating me.
    JPM: I never do actually.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieV8
    The dates around the Japan race were too close to the grand finals for the AFL and NRL, not to mention being right in the middle of the Phillip Island 500 and Bathurst 1000 V8 Supercar races, which would have made it impossible for the V8's to show up at the Gold Coast.

The date in March clashed with the F1 Grand Prix in Melbourne (which has far more support than IndyCar in Australia).

The alternative dates offered were ones that didn't fit in with major events in Australia.

Back when the Gold Coast Indy was in March, the F1 was held in Adelaide at the end of the year. When the F1 moved to Melbourne and became the first race of the season, CART moved their race to the October date within a couple of years. IIRC CART and F1 only clashed for 96 and 97.
    So it doesn't actually sound like there was any room to negotiate, hence what was the point in actually talking if your country wasn't willing to offer more money or consider an alternative date?

Quote Originally Posted by AussieV8
    The best way for the IRL to handle this was to schedule a final round in the US one or two weeks after the Gold Coast Indy (and not at Homestead either, that's another ridiculous idea from the lemmings running the IRL IMHO). The short schedule of IndyCar is really a joke. What other major racing series has it's finale way back in the middle of September?
    Seriously you wanted them to find two new events just to accommodate Surfers? I like Surfers, its by far one of my favorite races I've ever attended, but really, demanding the IRL add two dates to accommodate one tracks non-negotiable desires? I can't fault them for leaving if the Aussies were unwilling to compromise in any way. I would like to see the season extended a bit too, but it wasn't going to happen in 2009.

I bet had the Aussies found another $2 mill for the purse the event would have happened again in 2009, and then perhaps your scheduling idea could have worked for 2010, but not before then.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    And you know what? I bet attendance won't even take a hit. That's no reflection on the IRL (or CCWS or CART for that matter), but rather, that this event has very little to do with the racing and everything to do with ***** & beer.

I for one, am glad that TG is putting the racing in front of the party.

Cheers.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by millencolin
    Well... i guess thats it.

Goodbye American Open Wheel Racing. I know you and I we have been friends for well over a decade. I've supported you through all your ups and downs, i've been there for you. But now you decide not to visit me, I don't think we can be together anymore. I dont believe in long distance relationships. Plus lately, your arrogance and general selfishness has put a strain on our relationship. You seem to be thinking all about yourself lately. I'm sorry, but its over between us.

I'm moving on. I've found a better series. She is faster, much better looking (cause you ahve gained so much weight lately, in the strangest places, makes you look quite the ugly one) and is more cultured and refiened internationally. She is called the A1gp, and I believe that our future together promisies to be long and meaningful. I know you have been flirting around with One and a half mile ovals in middle America, I know you get tempted by them. But I dont see those relationships lasting when your... *ahem* crowd, is small.

I'm sorry IRL, but i'm moving on. I don't need you anymore. Youve become fat, seflish and slow. Goodbye, and good luck for the future... cause your gonna need it
    Nicely done!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by downtowndeco
    And you know what? I bet attendance won't even take a hit. That's no reflection on the IRL (or CCWS or CART for that matter), but rather, that this event has very little to do with the racing and everything to do with titties & beer.

Cheers.
    Considering attendance was down this year, and they will be back to REAL race cars next year, I would expect attendance to go up.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Let the hand wringing begin. This was an untenable situation for both sides. The ICS realized that they needed to end the series in the US and needed to do it before the NFL season kicked in. The Surfer's folks also realized they had similar issues with the proposed dates the ICS folks could offer (i.e. conflicts with other sporting events). Both sides are acting like the other's concerns were of no consequence and THEY were the one who needed to change.

When the Austrailian F1 event was in the fall and the Champcar event was in the spring, everyone was happy. When the two were switched, it was just a matter of time before this came to a head.

It's too bad too, because this was a great event. But I am afraid it was inevitable. I have yet to hear a solution from EITHER side that was really workable and took into acount the realities that BOTH sides faced.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by downtowndeco
    And you know what? I bet attendance won't even take a hit. That's no reflection on the IRL (or CCWS or CART for that matter), but rather, that this event has very little to do with the racing and everything to do with ***** & beer.

Cheers.

Surfers Paradise was all about racing.

Through the many years I've watched it, there have been some extremely exciting moments.

The "Miss Indy" pageant was perfect for the event, given that the beach was only about 100 feet away.

So did it have little to do with the racing? Eighteen years running. Look it up on Youtube, I'm sure you'll find lots of great footage on what you've been missing all of these years.

Guess that won't matter any more though. TG's ego won't let him see that his series is the worst high profile open wheel series that ever existed......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRfLM5W4XcM
    :champion:car Continuing since 1909
    http://www.youtube.com/user/champcar4ever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennybigb
    I just thank God that TG didn't cancel Iowa or Kansas to make room for Surfers.

We all knew this merger would bring some tough choices, at least we will still be racing at our corps events.

Thank you TG for keeping your vision.

So how would getting rid of Iowa or Kansas help keep Surfers? Maybe you could expand you logic to see how getting rid of a mid summer race would save on that didn't want to leave October?
    Most posters on this forum can't think past their own screen names...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Now the IRL can focus on getting Michigan back and bringing Phoenix, Atlanta, and Las Vegas on the schedule.
    Danica Patrick- 2013 Sprint Cup Series Champion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by millencolin
    Well... i guess thats it.

Goodbye American Open Wheel Racing. I know you and I we have been friends for well over a decade. I've supported you through all your ups and downs, i've been there for you. But now you decide not to visit me, I don't think we can be together anymore. I dont believe in long distance relationships. Plus lately, your arrogance and general selfishness has put a strain on our relationship. You seem to be thinking all about yourself lately. I'm sorry, but its over between us.

I'm moving on. I've found a better series. She is faster, much better looking (cause you ahve gained so much weight lately, in the strangest places, makes you look quite the ugly one) and is more cultured and refiened internationally. She is called the A1gp, and I believe that our future together promisies to be long and meaningful. I know you have been flirting around with One and a half mile ovals in middle America, I know you get tempted by them. But I dont see those relationships lasting when your... *ahem* crowd, is small.

I'm sorry IRL, but i'm moving on. I don't need you anymore. Youve become fat, seflish and slow. Goodbye, and good luck for the future... cause your gonna need it

Well, the sponsors and the IRL really don't care. It's the truth. The sponsors didn't want their money to be spent down there because they didn't do any business down there. You could have had 500,000 people there and it wouldn't have mattered to the corporate bean counters. Target doesn't sell there, the US National Guard doesn't recruit there, etc. etc. It would make about as much sense as Bartercard or Super Cheap sponsoring a La Liga team. And as the teams had stated repeatedly it was a $$ loser for them, with Penske saying they were not coming back unless the race was in the championship. Assuming A!GP is still around next year, best of luck to them

If Craig Gore was really millions to sponsor a car for just one race than that was one of the worst ROI's in the history of racing. It makes absolutely no sense for every single team to lose money so one car could appease a sponsor.

Poor business thinking like that killed champcar...
    Most posters on this forum can't think past their own screen names...