Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts

Tracks for disabled spectator access

My little brother is totally mad about motorsport - all forms, rallying / F1 / touring cars / bikes / you name it. If it has an engine and at least one wheel on the ground he'll love it.
    He's also getting more and more handicapped. He used to come out and service on rallies for me, then when he struggled to walk we'd go watch local club events, but now he's sadly in a wheelchair and so needs all the facilities that a club day at an old airfield cant provide.

Being so open to all types of racing, I figured on treating him to a few different types of events next year, bikes, GT racing (looks fun so I might even enjoy it) and if I could possibly afford it maybe even a DTM race. He lives in Birmingham so there are a lot of tracks we can get to in a day

Does anyone have any experience of disabled facilities at any particular venues? Does it alter with the type of racing? Anyone aware of any clubs or whatnot?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rockingham has good disabled facilities in the main stand

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    I know that Donington lets you park your car basically overlooking the track if you have a disabled pass. It's a bit difficult to get around tho, due to the rocky ground. I belive Silverstone operates a similar policy.

As already said, Rockingham is probably the best bet, I'm not sure if you can get on top of the pit garages without using steps but you can get pretty much everywhere else (but at Rockingham that doesn't say much)
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Rockingham is probabily the best from my experience, Silverstone isn't bad either now. Brands was poor back in 2001, haven't been there for a while though. For using a wheelchair, Rockingham, Silverstone & Oulton are the 3 that spring to mind as being reasaonably wheelchair friendly. Silverstone and Oulton both have decent quality paths around the track, so long as your able to cope with the pebbled roads. Rockingham is by far the best though, all paved and plenty of lifts and dedicated disabled viewing areas. Donington Park let you into a parking area by Craner Curves. It's not perfect for wheelchairs, especially when wet, but the view is excellent.

Donington, Oulton, Croft all let you take your car pretty close to trackside
    Silverstone, Rockingham, Knockhill, Brands don't the last time I visited them.
    2nd place in the big quizz challenge!

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfa Fan
    Donington, Oulton, Croft all let you take your car pretty close to trackside
    Silverstone, Rockingham, Knockhill, Brands don't the last time I visited them.
    Knockhill certainly does. On the outfield, along the fence between the start/finish line and the first turn, disabled drivers/passengers can park right up to the boundary fence, it's ever bit as good a view as you'd get from anywhere, and you don't have to get out of your car . In fact I often stand around that area.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yep, Rockingham's the best by miles. I think a lift also serves the underpass to the garages, so a trip in-field can be done, but can't honestly remember. Thing is, they're a friendly bunch and would probably sort something out for you if you rang well ahead anyway - but you may end up trapped in-field all day as a result.

Brands is okay, but clearly hilly in parts. Some areas are soil, stone path or grass but others are fine.
    "The Jaguar's going cheap"
    "Shouldn't it be purring?" :confused:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Silverstone has smooth paved paths and isn't too hilly, although the car parks can be a trek away on major race weekends. I assume there is priority disabled parking there, but I havne't needed to ask so don't know.
    Despite how great the racing is, I wouldn't want to tackle the Goodwood events in a wheelchair - just a warning.
    Speedqueens website is offline while I rehome it, but it will be back, and much bigger than before.

Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts
    Thanks folks, hadn't considered Rockingham or Oulton but they're both in easy reach from Birmingham.
    I'm thinking go for some quieter lesser forumulas (but often just as fun I seem to remember) at first, get a feel for the facilities (we're learning the hard way that what a website claims is good wheelchair access doesnt always match up with reality) and then splurge more money on bigger events.

Time to start checking out the fixtures list

Admin
    A smart approach I think. Big events such as the BTCC can get quite busy at some tracks so going to see lower formulae is a good approach, and quite often the racing is just as good too!

Obviously not for Formula 1 or BTCC, but about 5 years back I went to a minor event at Silverstone, and I was able to drive my car right up to the inside of Copse corner! No disabled pass required or anything, from there you are right next to the paddock, and a great viewing spot.

So I'd recommend Rockingham and then minor events at Silverstone (assuming the parking is the same), in that order.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ive seen a disabled man at the European Drift Championship in Silverstone last year at Luffield corner in a special disabled seating area if it helps