Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Italian woman in right-to-die debate dies

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7880070.stm

In July, a court in Milan ruled that doctors had proved Ms Englaro's coma was irreversible. It also accepted that, before the accident, she had expressed a preference for dying over being kept alive artificially.

So why should the government insist that she be kept alive? If that was her wish, then they SHOULD respect it.
    the big print giveth the small print taketh

Liked 646 Times in 511 Posts
    According to the article she has been in a vegetative state since 1992
    That means at the age of 21 she had already made a decision to not resuscitate
    Was that standard operating procedure in Italy in 1992!
    Who said she made this request?
    And I'm not saying that she didn't!
    Without this info it sounds to me like a political spitting match!

BTW--- "The Vatican, which had described the decision to let Ms Englaro die as "abominable", asked for God's forgiveness for those responsible."

Best backhanded blessing I've heard in awhile
    May the forza be with you

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    Her father, who has been fighting for her right to be disconnected from artificial life support for the last 10 years, said she made this request.

As for Berlusconi and the state of Italian politics - separation of executive, legislative, judicial (and eclesiastical ) powers-... no comment

United in diversity !!!

Quote Originally Posted by donKey jote
    Her father, who has been fighting for her right to be disconnected from artificial life support for the last 10 years, said she made this request.

As for Berlusconi and the state of Italian politics - separation of executive, legislative, judicial (and eclesiastical ) powers-... no comment

(Tazio says as he shakes his head)
    "That's just plain sad"
    When my son had his spinal cord injury my biggest concern was whether or not he would have the will to live as a Quadriplegic.
    Although he's made a lot of progress, and may yet get enough dexterity to operate a hand controlled Van,
    his window of opportunity is closing on being able to walk. I encourage him to keep up the exercise program
    because a neurological breakthrough is fast approaching.
    However if the original diagnosis of being a ventilator dependant Quad did end up being correct,
    I would honor his wish and off him myself he could convince me that he was too miserable to carry on!
    Thank God I don't

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Details are sparce still but we have a husband charged in Thunder Bay Ont. with assisting a suicide and criminal negligence causing death.
    People have been charged with assisting suicide before in Canada but a jury has always found them not guilty despite there been no question that they did help.
    The criminal negligence is a new charge for this type of case.
    No details of the 'why' are available yet. Always before it has been health, usually advancing dehabilitating disease with no hope or cure.

Liked 387 Times in 327 Posts
    The euthanasia issue is very sensible and I can understand the reasons of both camps.

The only thing that keeps a question mark in my head is what happens in the mind of the person who is in charge to remove the feeding tubes.
    Even if a law would permit it and if you're aware that you cut the patient's agony and the family anguish what happens with your conscience? Deep in your soul don't you feel that you're acting like a murderer? Is the purpose of the act enough to empower you to take a life?

P.S. I have the same doubts about people who are in charge to take a life in the countries where the death punishment wasn't abolished.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazio
    (Tazio says as he shakes his head)
    "That's just plain sad"
    When my son had his spinal cord injury my biggest concern was whether or not he would have the will to live as a Quadriplegic.
    Although he's made a lot of progress, and may yet get enough dexterity to operate a hand controlled Van,
    his window of opportunity is closing on being able to walk. I encourage him to keep up the exercise program
    because a neurological breakthrough is fast approaching.
    However if the original diagnosis of being a ventilator dependant Quad did end up being correct,
    I would honor his wish and off him myself he could convince me that he was too miserable to carry on!
    Thank God I don't
    Tazio, I have always read your previous threads and posts on your son's progress with a knot in my throat, and always wanted to somehow express my feelings but never made a comment because I'm a bit of a donkey when it comes to putting them in words. I applaud and admire your and especially your son's strength. Thank God you don't...

But this is a case where political bickering has taken the front role. Eluana was not able to actively convince her father about anything anymore. She had no cognitive function - that's what I meant about artificial life support.
    I don't know what I'd do if I found myself in his situation and I hope I'll never know. Above all, I believe that these decisions should be a private matter between the closest family and the doctors, and that people like Berlusconi and the Vatican should have no place in taking them.

I think therefore I am. If I were to lose the ability to think, let my closest relatives decide for me when to mourn my going. Nobody else.
    United in diversity !!!

But this is a case where political bickering has taken the front role. Eluana was not able to actively convince her father about anything anymore. She had no cognitive function - that's what I meant about artificial life support.
    I don't know what I'd do if I found myself in his situation and I hope I'll never know. Above all, I believe that these decisions should be a private matter between the closest family and the doctors, and that people like Berlusconi and the Vatican should have no place in taking them.
    In a case this clearly terminal I have to agree. Let nature take its course. I could see it taking one, two, or even three years to exhaust all possible hope of her regaining some cognitive ability but 17 year is a long time to leave a family without, even being able to begin and reconcile the closure process!

Of course this is political. Thus the joke about the benevolence of the church with their backhanded blessing!

I think therefore I am.
    Rene Descartes!
    A phrase The Existentialists really ran with.
    Have you read "The Wall" by Jean Paul Satre?
    It’s setting is your Spanish Revolution
    I highly recommend it!
    Peace,
    Bro

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_spackman

So why should the government insist that she be kept alive? If that was her wish, then they SHOULD respect it.
    Read Pretty VS United Kingdom. According to that decision, the right to life does not mean you have the right to die.

I don`t agree with it, but that is how courts view it.
    "signature room for rent"

Quote Originally Posted by Tazio
    Have you read "The Wall" by Jean Paul Satre?
    No, but I have seen the film and got the album

thanks
    United in diversity !!!