Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RacinRandy
    I heard that Penske will return in 2010, but not in a Porsche......Can you say Toyota? The word is out that Toyota wants to win Lemans! This is a rumor, but from a good source on the inside.
    Seems doubtful with the recent news of Toyota's decline in sales and pending layoffs!
    "You can mop the blood up later." - R.A. Lafferty

Liked 304 Times in 214 Posts
    No Audi and no Peugeot on the Sebring Winter Test entrylist published yesterday by the IMSA !!!!

Only Acura in LMP1...

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    wmcot...but don't be too sure. If Penske is coming back with something.....then it has to be someone who isn't Acura or the Big 3...that doesn't leave a lot of options. Toyota is slowing down..they are NOT on death's door...
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    wmcot...but don't be too sure. If Penske is coming back with something.....then it has to be someone who isn't Acura or the Big 3...that doesn't leave a lot of options. Toyota is slowing down..they are NOT on death's door...
    Let's just hope that Penske and others do come back. If not, ALMS could end up being GT2 only...
    "You can mop the blood up later." - R.A. Lafferty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would imagine that in both the ALMS and European LMS, we will see just P1, P2 and GT2 very soon. A re-write of the rules for all classes is certainly on the cards, hopefully encouraging more people in all classes. Will GT1 return to its former glory? I honestly think it may not, leaving just one GT class..... but is that really a bad thing?

And as for Toyota - I would certainly not rule them out. The economy may rise and fall, but I have no reason to think that within 4 years grids will be full again, and Toyota may decide this is an ideal opportunity to advertise itself.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Rumour I heard...and this was on the NASCAR channel and they were talking about the economy and racing was that Jaguar was making noises about coming back to ALMS. Not sure on what class...but Paul Gentilozzi was doing some PR work at the Detroit Auto Show and apprently he is kind of behind it. Not sure how well that would come out.....my opinion of Gentilozzi is pretty well known.......not good...
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Jaguar in ALMS ???

They would need a new engine for GT2.

Don't see them in ALMS P1 or P2... doesn't fit their market profile.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Andy Priaulx still staying in WTCC though according to his Wiki-page he's doing select rounds of ALMS....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The news is coming in fast (well by ALMS standards)

BMW Drivers Confirmed, no WTCC drivers as BMW will continue that problem due to some favorable decisions made by the FIA to ensure competitive racing with the SEAT Diesels. That's for another thread, but let's just say that SEAT just ran a flawless program last year and really only had the faster car at high altitude (Curitiba and Puebla).

With that said, I believe you will see Jorg Muller (Test driver) and Priaulx at Sebring and Petit Le Mans.

Since Hand was signed by BMW, I think we can expect Millner to run his father's Panoz again with the usual suspects at PTG.

Porsche confirmed its US drivers. Wolf is moving over to FBL and Pat Long without a LMP2 ride (Penske only running 1 DP in Grand Am) is going to take his place at Flying Lizard in the lead 997.

Tafel closed its doors effectively leaving just ONE competitive Ferrari F430 with the extra competition to come from Chevy and BMW. There's a rumor a new Ferrari team might appear.

Speaking of Ferrari, CRS has confirmed its driver lineup for the FIA GT Championship and Rob Bell is one of them. With FIA and LMS, looks like no ALMS events for Rob. AF Corse has not confirmed its driver line up, this will be key as to who will join Jamie Melo in the lead Risi car. With Bell out, it leaves Vilander or Bruni. Either way there will be seats to fill, especially if that second Ferrari team comes to life in the ALMS.

The Winter Test entry has been released. No Ferrari's on it. BMW will be there and so will LG. I bet LG will be testing parts for GM Racing...

So we're about 2 months away from the start of the 2009 ALMS season. With the reduced car count, I think people are overtly worried about a bad season. I think you'll be surprised how well the LMP2's go as I don't think the new LMP1 Acura will be sorted until after the break for Le Mans. I expect the Fernandez Acura to be very competitive at the two early season street races.

I'm not sure where Dyson's new Mazda program fits into this yet, we won't know how good the Mazda/Lola Coupe combo is until Winter Testing really, if results in Europe are anything to go by, it should be at least competitive with the Acura(s) and be fairly quick at Mosport and Road America.

No sour grapes, the season will be fine, a bit muted but fine overall. I think you'll start to see a rebound in 2011 actually as car companies should return to profitability by that time.
    Check Out My Motorsport Blog - http://pfmotorsports.blogspot.com/

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hmmm, dont like the sound of this, only 2 LMP1 cars, and 2 LMP2 cars at the winter test, a second Lola Mazda at the 12hrs, but what else, is there moore LMP cars in the US ! Sports car racing is much about privat running teams ! Last year the where 20 LMP cars at Petit... Tough times indeed (