Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcot
    I'll be surprised if Penske isn't back with Porsche. He seems to thrive on domination!
    Got the word today.

Penske will race Grand-Am in 2009(no word if the entire season of just a few selected races).

Then he will return to the ALMS in 2010 as the "factory" Porsche LMP1 team

Liked 304 Times in 214 Posts
    Pedro Lamy to run 09ALMS in BMW GT2 ???

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    Got the word today.

Penske will race Grand-Am in 2009(no word if the entire season of just a few selected races).

That's interesting...
    Formula 1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Got the word today.

No offense, but Grand-Am seems to be a step down for Penske.
    "You can mop the blood up later." - R.A. Lafferty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I can't see Lamy driving a GT2 car as he's a paid driver for "The Lion" and I don't expect him to be dropped from the team.

I expect Dyson who's playing its cards close, to pick up Lola's powered by Mazda engines and run around in P2. I don't think he's interested in spending the cubic dollars needed to compete with Acura/HPD and Audi Sport.

That still leaves the original BK car(s) going forward. I expect somebody maybe a current Indy Car team to pick up that, if maybe BP stays as a sponsor or moves onto Dyson, who's already got tire deal in place.

No further news on HPD's 2nd P2 car. Honda isn't doesn't have any money problems, but a team might find it hard to find a sponsor for a complete season, unless it was successful already, stay tuned.

I still see 10-12 Prototypes on the grid full season and up to 16-17 cars at Sebring, Petit and Laguna Seca.

ALMS stands at 11 races currently but I wouldn't be shocked if it picked up one more venue.

GT1 - Dead

GT2 -

Even with GM's money issues, I don't think this effects Corvette Racing, because I think GM finally understands what Porsche has always known, racing improves the breed and as long as people continue to buy every Corvette built and as long as the Corvette Group's advert budget isn't slashed, they should be fine for a full season and keep its plans as stated before. I think they already knew how cash strapped GM was before the media got wind of it.

The only confirmations not to come yet -

Tafel (not sure where they get their money from....)

Confirmed from available information -

Risi - Tracy Krohn has said as much that he would like to return to Le Mans and isn't worried about money. I think Risi gets enough money from his sponsors and as long as the 2nd car is driven by paid drivers he should return with two car effort. What's not know is who will drive really.

Salo has said he is staying with Risi after talks with NASCAR teams not going as planned. That doesn't mean we won't see Mika in Cup or Nationwide car next year, he's most likely been promised just a Bush ride and if he's successful (Top 5 Finish, Pole, Top 10 Finish) he might get a shot at one of the Cup events. But since Nationwide's only two road course events come in the 2nd half of the season in Aug, he'll miss the Sears Point round of the Cup series, ONE would think.

Anyway could be Melo/Salo and Bell/Bruni - Just reading that should put a shudder in the competition...

No news on BMW's driver line up yet. Macau is this weekend and its pretty much been confirmed by several people in the know, that BMW's Factory WTCC effort is over and that BMW is lobbying the ACO to get approval for M3 GT2 since its Saloon/Coupe 4 seat car and the ACO considers those car's not approved for GT2 rules as traditional "Sports Car".

LMS GT2 isn't that deep actually, I could see them approving this as its really only semantics, but might frown on factory involvement in a class traditionally held for limited experienced drivers.

If that happens, that sets up AC Schnitzer (BMW Team Germany/Brazil) to just carry over into LMS GT2 or "The Rat" could approve them for use in his series (FIA GT) so stay tuned for that.

Anything I missed?

Discuss
    Check Out My Motorsport Blog - http://pfmotorsports.blogspot.com/

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dj4monie
    Even with GM's money issues, I don't think this effects Corvette Racing, because I think GM finally understands what Porsche has always known, racing improves the breed and as long as people continue to buy every Corvette built and as long as the Corvette Group's advert budget isn't slashed, they should be fine for a full season and keep its plans as stated before. I think they already knew how cash strapped GM was before the media got wind of it.
    In 1971 Henry Ford was in Washington saying something they wanted would cost too much.
    The politicians asked him how much he was spending racing.
    The next day Ford pulled out of all forms of racing in the U.S. without exception.

Now G.M. is begging Washington for money; how do you think they will reacti if a poitician asks them how much they spend racing?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
    In 1971 Henry Ford was in Washington saying something they wanted would cost too much.
    The politicians asked him how much he was spending racing.
    The next day Ford pulled out of all forms of racing in the U.S. without exception.

Now G.M. is begging Washington for money; how do you think they will reacti if a poitician asks them how much they spend racing?
    Darn it Bob, you know I can't post on 10 Tenths until next season....

Yes I know Ford shut the doors on its "Total Performance" shop after the 1971 season.

But 9 years later they came roaring back....

Ford out of the Big 3 I feel is in the best shape. They are still out selling Opel/GM in Europe. Opel has gone to the German government for some cash and they said, if you promise NONE of it is going to GM USA we'll let you have it. Didn't seem to stop RML from testing its new Cruze however, even if the Chevy (read: Daewoo) effort is not connected to Opel or GM in America and their racing budget hasn't been cut. In fact GM just opened a new plant in Russia.

Some have said this is a ploy by the Big 3 to get file Chapter 11 so they can re-do its deal with UAW. I watched them both days on C-Span it was amazing that nobody is calling for Rick Wagoneer's head.

All that being said though, Bush does not want to be tagged for crashing the entire Auto Industry in America as suppliers not being paid by either Chrysler, Ford or GM wouldn't be able to make payroll or other needs because of the credit freeze and thus BMW, Hyundai Toyota, Honda and Benz would all be effected in various ways that would impact the plants and jobs I'm sure.

They'll get the infusion of cash, but what strings are attached too it are for another post.

This won't effect Corvette Racing, as their budget was basically baked into the cake. Remember they get help from Compuware and other sponsors its not just GM writing the checks.

In fact I would day the cars might change color and sport e85 decals if it came to that, Ethanol has not confirmed returning to Rahal/Letterman for next season.

With IRL on Versus of all things I think the Ethanol board might opt for a series that is on OTA TV more often than IRL which currently only looks like Long Beach and Indy on ABC.

Stop replying to my threads man they go off in ten different directions when you do that
    Check Out My Motorsport Blog - http://pfmotorsports.blogspot.com/

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dj4monie
    Darn it Bob, you know I can't post on 10 Tenths until next season....

Yes I know Ford shut the doors on its "Total Performance" shop after the 1971 season.

But 9 years later they came roaring back....

Ford out of the Big 3 I feel is in the best shape. They are still out selling Opel/GM in Europe. Opel has gone to the German government for some cash and they said, if you promise NONE of it is going to GM USA we'll let you have it. Didn't seem to stop RML from testing its new Cruze however, even if the Chevy (read: Daewoo) effort is not connected to Opel or GM in America and their racing budget hasn't been cut. In fact GM just opened a new plant in Russia.

Some have said this is a ploy by the Big 3 to get file Chapter 11 so they can re-do its deal with UAW. I watched them both days on C-Span it was amazing that nobody is calling for Rick Wagoneer's head.

All that being said though, Bush does not want to be tagged for crashing the entire Auto Industry in America as suppliers not being paid by either Chrysler, Ford or GM wouldn't be able to make payroll or other needs because of the credit freeze and thus BMW, Hyundai Toyota, Honda and Benz would all be effected in various ways that would impact the plants and jobs I'm sure.

They'll get the infusion of cash, but what strings are attached too it are for another post.

This won't effect Corvette Racing, as their budget was basically baked into the cake. Remember they get help from Compuware and other sponsors its not just GM writing the checks.

In fact I would day the cars might change color and sport e85 decals if it came to that, Ethanol has not confirmed returning to Rahal/Letterman for next season.

With IRL on Versus of all things I think the Ethanol board might opt for a series that is on OTA TV more often than IRL which currently only looks like Long Beach and Indy on ABC.

Stop replying to my threads man they go off in ten different directions when you do that
    There are all kinds of "rumors" popping up in various forums and even the talking heads on TV about what Detroit may or may not do.
    A recent one was Chrysler stopping ALL racing activities, but that is just a rumor.
    G.M. cutting Tiger's money though DOES make one wonder what is really going on.
    Personally, I think the G.M. employees should dig up Roger Smith and hang him in downtown Detroit.
    Bob
    PS-- With the rhetoric based on ignorance THE OBAMA has spewed about Detroit, it may get nasty.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Could we be seeing customer R10s after the wake of Audi's 'pull out'?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Got the word today.

I heard that Penske will return in 2010, but not in a Porsche......Can you say Toyota? The word is out that Toyota wants to win Lemans! This is a rumor, but from a good source on the inside.
    \"Start um when they look good\"