Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rex, I imagine the F1 crowd spent more per capita in tourism dollars but I don't know that it exceeded either the Brickyard 400 or Indianapolis 500. An economic impact study a few years ago showed the "500" and "400" ahead of the F1 race, which was fifth, with the Super Bowl and Daytona 500 also in the top five.

Yes, I used that number in respect to F1 attendance. F1 events don't come close to the Indianapolis 500 or Brickyard 400 in attendance.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by downtowndeco
    I don't think Surfers is nearly as important to a series as you think it is.
    Its not my opinion. The global business community thinks very highly of the Surfers race. You'll be surprised by the response you get from some of the team owners who were there last week.

Then there's the fans that follow many professional race drivers from that geographic area. If overseas TV is an important revenue component to a series then its good business practice to race in that vicinity.

Why does the ICS race in Japan?
    LBGP: The Sound - The Spectacle. Racin' at its finest.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The ICS races in Japan obviously because of its relationship with Honda. Secondarily (and I can't remember where I read this), outside of the U.S., there are more hits on the Speedway website from Japan than any other country.

Yes, I'd be very surprised if the business-oriented owners who lose money by going to Surfers might like the race, but can't afford the tab.

And for AMERICAN sponsors which are not factors of consequence in the "global business community," it's a throwaway.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    Nobody would be talking about starting another series if the IRL was putting out a quality product.
    Do you really think that "GreenPrix" will compete with the IndyCar Series????

Do you know Ben Johnston??? His background in racing (should not take long to find out -very little). Business background?? (other than is own PR BS?)

This guy has NO experience in forming, running a race series. He DOES NOT have the $$$ to run a series. The best you will see is an "Executive Drive" type deal, not a professional race series.

I hate to see the Atlantic Series go away, but it will. Paul G. has a ton more money that Johnston ever thought about having.

TA will go the same way Trans-Am went --down the drain.
    I love all racing!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    Maybe? You must be kidding... maybe??? So you think the solution to the problems, and yes there are problems, is to start another series? Oh, yes that is going to fix things, just like it did when the idiot grandson had the supreme vision and started a new series back in 1996.

Gary
    The ICS was started using a core component from CART - the Indy 500 - by someone who was a CART insider, with the specific intention of destroying CART. Thus it was a civil war. That was what was so damaging. The idea that because the civil war was won this grants immunity to all future challenges is a head in the sand attitute.

A brand new series from scratch is not the same at all. If the ICS is operating well and with all its core components and players intact, then there is no reason to break a sweat at all when some newcomer comes along. If the ICS is hemoraging away important components that others are collecting (such as the Surfers or other races, a fleet modern racecars, support series), well don't blame the ones who aquire them and save them from death. They weren't stolen from under the IRL's feat like happend in 1995. We have people right in this thread advocating the IRL to discard some of these components of itself - but then shocked, somehow absurdly are shocked, that someone else might come along and build something with those components

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CCWS77
    The ICS was started using a core component from CART - the Indy 500 - by someone who was a CART insider, with the specific intention of destroying CART. Thus it was a civil war. That was what was so damaging. The idea that because the civil war was won this grants immunity to all future challenges is a head in the sand attitute.
    No one suggested granting immunity. I said it was a stupid idea to start another series based on the discarded components of the war between CCWS and IRL. Explain to me how using "discarded" components is "a brand new series from scratch". By using these components it is positioning itself in direct competition for the same viewers, teams, drivers, fans and most important... sponsors. We tried that for twelve years, it didn't work. Why is there a new found hope that it will miraculously work now? Tell me who's head is in the sand, with that brainstorm.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    If the series gets even off the ground it will not threaten anyone. It is to be, as I understand, it arrive and drive with all the cars looked after by the organizer. You will rent a ride race by race and will not have your own shop or crew but those supplied by the organizer.
    In other words basically rent a drive rich racers. I highly doubt if any real pros will take part.
    Who the heck is going to want to watch Richie Rich the 17th race? If he was any good he would be in one of the other pro series.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Drifter
    If the series gets even off the ground it will not threaten anyone. It is to be, as I understand, it arrive and drive with all the cars looked after by the organizer. You will rent a ride race by race and will not have your own shop or crew but those supplied by the organizer.
    In other words basically rent a drive rich racers. I highly doubt if any real pros will take part.
    Who the heck is going to want to watch Richie Rich the 17th race? If he was any good he would be in one of the other pro series.
    Exactly!

It is simply a new vintage racing series, with the distinction that, rather than having a half dozen or so arrive and drive outfits providing the majority of the cars taking part, there is just one providing all the car. But, because the cars are former CCWS cars, some people get their knickers all up in a knot over it. There is zero overlap with the IRL.

Zero.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Seeing the current situation of Indycar and their ***** cars, I would be greatly interested in another open wheel series, business wise it may sound stupid to some people, but I'm a motorsport fan and at the very least, there's 2 more years before Indycar has a new chassis, so there's at least something proper to watch.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by speeddurango
    Seeing the current situation of Indycar and their ***** cars, I would be greatly interested in another open wheel series, business wise it may sound stupid to some people, but I'm a motorsport fan and at the very least, there's 2 more years before Indycar has a new chassis, so there's at least something proper to watch.
    At what price? Didn't we learn ANYTHING from the past twelve years? It was a really stupid idea when the IRL was formed, and it would be an equally stupid idea for another open wheel series to be formed to chase the same fans, venues, driver and sponsors.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.