Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    so max wants to save F1 from the financial crisis, but as of next year, he reduces by 30 percent the single biggest advertising area on the cars?

well, that makes sense...
    the wise man does at once what the fool does finally - macchiavelli

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    Set the rules, allow the teams to race and may the best team win. Or set the rules to level the playing field and improve the "show".
    Or have it balanced between the two, that way F1 is still the engineering pinnacle, and you get the best people aspiring to be in F1, and you still have a show in on track racing, and developments of cars and such.

The former is the way F1 has worked. The latter the way it appears it may work in the future, and if that is the case I fear that F1 is about to join the many other spec-series that already exist, and are still being created (see A1GP, Superleague & F2).
    True, but I see part of the reason why they want some restrictions on technology, and part of it is that high tech aerodynamics inhibit passing more than they ever did in F1.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper
    ^No, but then what has that got to do with the performance of an F1 car.

Besides, if F1 cars get much slower than GP2 well be able to qualify on pace for an F1 race.
    Now that WOULD be retro!

(I'm referring to Jacky Ickx at the Nurburgring in 1967, setting the third fastest qualifying time for the German GP despite driving an F2 car.)

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey T
    so max wants to save F1 from the financial crisis, but as of next year, he reduces by 30 percent the single biggest advertising area on the cars?

Actually I believe that the sidepods and the airbox are bigger and more visible for advertising that front and rear wings.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    I think F1 has been seen as the pinnacle of motorsport for a number of reasons, not just speed. As others have pointed out there are, and have been, faster cars out there, so it has to be more than that.

Young drivers aim for F1 more than anything else. Few get there, which emphasises its exclusivity. Then there are the locations around the world, the teams, and all the history, as well as the cars themselves.

I don't think there is a series that can offer all of that. Certainly some have the history & tradition (Indy), some have a location (Le Mans), but none can offer a driver what F1 offers, and I think that's why it's seen as being top dog.

As someone who has only a vague knowledge of the technology involved I think you're right about the general public not particularly caring about the spec engine, but that's where I hope the "purists" (including those in FOTA) will still have some influence on the future shape of F1. If not, we will see the dumbing down of F1.
    All very true Not once did you mention innovation It really is the overall package that makes F1 what it is. I don't think F1 should be dumbed down to NASCAR level because that really would kill it but I think there is a certain level of dumbing down that can be down without harming the sport which could actually make for more spectacle. If some fussy purists get pissed off then that can only be a good thing. Everyone has their own little picture of what makes F1, Rallying, rock music, a good steak what they are and so on are but you should concentrate on the big picture rather than details which are actually quite minor when you think about it.

In an ideal world we'd have different manufacturers for engines and so on and no regulations but time and time again manufacturers have shown they can't be trusted to keep things safe and to keep to caps and so on. In the WRC the FIA has stood by while the sport has priced itself to death and most of the people on the forum realise this. F1 is running the risk of doing the same and people seem to be resisting. Why? I don't know
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    Actually I believe that the sidepods and the airbox are bigger and more visible for advertising that front and rear wings.
    I remember reading an article a while back that said that the mirrors are now a favourable piece of realestate for the sponsors
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schmenke
    I remember reading an article a while back that said that the mirrors are now a favourable piece of realestate for the sponsors
    Bizarre! The mirrors being some of the smallest parts on a F1 car. Maybe because it's cheaper?
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    No, if I remember correctly, it had something to do with camera angles.
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey T

I don't see the problem. If it's popular, people are going to see it.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schmenke
    No, if I remember correctly, it had something to do with camera angles.
    Correct. Whenever you see a close up of the driver, you always get a prominent view of the mirror.