Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Phillip Island MotoGP

My second favourite racing weekend of the year (behind Phillip Island WSB!) is on this weekend. As usual, the local buildup has been lacklustre but hopefully when the bikes fire up tomorrow the interest will pique a bit. The weather forecast is all over the joint but the latest report is of a fine weekend.

And to the racing. Obviously Rossi has to be favourite given his stellar recent form and a very good record around the seaside circuit. Stoner had a welcome return to form at Motegi last weekend and is last years winner but his crook wrist casts a bit of a doubt as to whether he can beat Rossi over a race distance, especially now that Vale and Yamaha are really humming along. Nicky Hayden is one to watch and a real dark horse for the win. He'e has always been fast around the Island and will want to leave Honda on a positive note.
    Pedrosa surprised many with his quick adaption to the Bridgestone tires last time out and with more time on them, he's only going to get faster though Phillip Island perhaps isn't one of his strongest tracks. The Anti-Pedrosa, Jorge Lorenzo, will also likely be right up there again, duelling it out with his rival of the past couple of years in Andrea Dovizioso who will want to get that first podium in a very impressive debut season.
    Chris Vermeulen has generally gone fairly well at the Island but he and fellow Aussie, Ant West will likely need a bit of moisture to fall to be near the pointy end come race day (especially Westy) at their home race. All in all, it should be a cracking weekend of racing at a track that is high on the riders list of favourites.

I'm heading down tomorrow to take my seat in the Bass Strait stand. If anyone is coming down, keep an eye out for a skinny dude wearing a Stoner cap or floppy Kawasaki hat with a green t-shirt that has "Stoner Vermeulen West, Aussie riders are best" in yellow writing. That will be me!
    Get off my lawn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Stoner is monstering the field again

Stoner broke the lap record on lap 14 of first practise, with a 1:30.094... Rossi is so far the only other guy going under 1:31 with a 1:30.764.

Jason O'Halloran took pole for the Australian Superbike event, with a 1:34.295 on his CBR1000RR. O'Halloran the current lap record holder in that class.

1 C. STONER AUS Ducati Marlboro Team 1'30.094
    2 V. ROSSI ITA Fiat Yamaha Team + 0.670
    3 A. DE ANGELIS RSM San Carlo Honda Gresini + 0.949
    4 A. DOVIZIOSO ITA JiR Team Scot MotoGP + 0.957
    5 R. DE PUNIET FRA LCR Honda MotoGP + 0.976
    6 D. PEDROSA SPA Repsol Honda Team + 1.067
    7 S. NAKANO JPN San Carlo Honda Gresini + 1.127
    8 J. LORENZO SPA Fiat Yamaha Team + 1.141
    9 L. CAPIROSSI ITA Rizla Suzuki MotoGP + 1.154
    10 J. TOSELAND GBR Tech 3 Yamaha + 1.183
    11 N. HAYDEN USA Repsol Honda Team + 1.190
    12 C. EDWARDS USA Tech 3 Yamaha + 1.274
    13 S. GUINTOLI FRA Alice Team + 1.438
    14 C. VERMEULEN AUS Rizla Suzuki MotoGP + 1.625
    15 M. MELANDRI ITA Ducati Marlboro Team + 1.709
    16 J. HOPKINS USA Kawasaki Racing Team + 1.720
    17 A. WEST AUS Kawasaki Racing Team + 2.117
    18 T. ELIAS SPA Alice Team + 2.321
    Phantom... Bike Who Parks

"It's a tour, not a race... but don't get in my way while I'm touring!"

I so want to comment on the "Stoner" cap and the green tshirt.............but I won't. Have a great weekend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Lorenzo currently on fire...... new outright lap record of 1'28.990... 10 mins to go.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hayden 1'28.756 ..... new outright lap record...... incredible quali session. 7 mins to go.

Valentino in pits after crashing at the 15 min to go mark.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Stoner 1'28.665.... Outright Lap Record and Pole with a handful of seconds to go...... fantastic pressure riding.

Rossi failed to complete his final flying lap after running out of time...... starts 12th

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    the way he crashed was quit weird.. But I think he can still manage a podium

quali was very good! it seems that I have had more pleasure on this year's qualifying sessions than on the races itself.. bit like F1
    RIP Marco Simoncelli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    mmmm would it be fairer if we had a TT style time trial, it certainly couldn't be much less exciting.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    The races today were quite good.

Congratulations to Mike di Meglio for winning the 125cc race and the 2008 125cc world championship. 10+ secs lead is not something you expect in 125s

gread close racing in 250cc all the way to the finish line, the best class in GP this season (no wonder Dorna wants to destroy it )

MotoGP was also good. Stoner just run away with it, Hayden tried but couldnt keep up. Rossi, JT, Lorenzo and Dovi gave a good show.
    I got my motorcycle jacket, but I'm walking all the time...

Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
    The races were good indeed. Finally again a win for Stoner. Hayden was again good and West was again before Hopkins in the standings.

Hopefully West could go to WSBK next year with a Kawasaki.