Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Openwheel not Allmendinger's first choice

Now that he's officially released from Red Bull he's debating his next move.

Red Bull announced he won't be with the team next year and Allmendinger gave up his ride for the final seven races to look for a job. He's been contacted about returning to open-wheel racing, but wants to stick it out in NASCAR — if he can. "We're not going to rush the decision to make sure we're employed. I don't want to make the wrong decision," he said. "The next step I take, the next team I go to is very critical in my development as a race car driver and that's something you've got to take wholeheartedly and not make a quick decision.
    http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...ng-open-wheel/

I'd be interested to know which teams are looking at him, the only top team with open seats is KVRT.

Personally I think he would be better off in Open wheel as he's not going to
    a top seat in NASCAR. I would think the best he could do in NASCAR is DEI or RYR. If he could get a ride with a mid-level IRL team like a second seat ar RLR or Panther he could probably win races.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

deja vu

How about as team-mate to PT in the new Forsythe Indycar program ???

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Gerry is not going to the .irl. He dislikes George or sp we have been led to believe.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i know - it was a joke......

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDS
    Now that he's officially released from Red Bull he's debating his next move.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...ng-open-wheel/

I'd be interested to know which teams are looking at him, the only top team with open seats is KVRT.

Personally I think he would be better off in Open wheel as he's not going to
    a top seat in NASCAR. I would think the best he could do in NASCAR is DEI or RYR. If he could get a ride with a mid-level IRL team like a second seat ar RLR or Panther he could probably win races.
    Interesting.....hmmm

There's something telling me that AJ was just saying that because...he had to. The same thing when he said when he was in CCWS that he "loved" that series yet that didn't stop him to NASCARville anyways. So the point is, he was saying that because he was looking for a job in NASCAR. But when all doors have shut closed on him........exactly. "I've been dreaming of coming to IndyCar", how about that for a start.

Please don't buy into these drivers' loyal or disloyal statements. They "HAVE" to say those just for that moment for them a get a job.

AJ, we'll see you in IndyCar sooner or later
    "Lawyers are the best investment"....Tom Leykis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Wiatrowski
    Gerry is not going to the .irl. He dislikes George or sp we have been led to believe.
    I have known/am related a number of people who worked for Gerry over the past couple of years, and worked for Gerry for a time. Its not so much that he dislikes TG, as much as he believes him to be a redemptiveless moron bent on mismanaging OWR.

I've been around him when he has gone on of TG and every thing he says is professional critism, nothing personal. He doesn't think he's smart enough to run AOWR, but I don't think that means he dislikes him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cart750hp
    Please don't buy into these drivers' loyal or disloyal statements. They "HAVE" to say those just for that moment for them a get a job.
    There is absolutely truth in what you're saying, but there aren't a lot of open seats in the ICS at the moment. Conquest, Roth, KVRT and potential second seats at Foyt and RLR. I think it's unlikely KK and Vassar want him unless they have a sponsor lined up that wants an American driver. Conquest would be a step down based on last year's performance, Foyt's a hard man to get along with and I haven't heard anything about a second car at RLR or Panther materalizing. HVM most likely has Robert Doornbos signed for their second seat, so that is probably closed.

In NASCAR there are more options, and most, if not all, pay much better wages than what he would earn in an Indy car.

I'd like to see him back, but honestly I'd rather see Andrew Ranger in a seat.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDS
    I
    There is absolutely truth in what you're saying, but there aren't a lot of open seats in the ICS at the moment..
    You just pointed out what I'm saying. One reason why he said he prefers NASCAR now because no seat available in IRL for his choice. (Castroneves seat could come up soon). And he has all reasons to say he'll stay in NASCAR now but he won't have the choice when his reasons for NASCAR are in jeopardy. In this business, we all have seen drivers and owners eat their own words. So this AJ thing won't be any different.

I don't disagree with you, MDS.
    "Lawyers are the best investment"....Tom Leykis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'll bet if a seat becomes open at Penske, AJ will "have always wanted to come back to Indycars because it is the pinnacle of American motorsports".

Someone mentioned Foyt - that would be a hoot - seems like Allmendinger is a fragile sort of guy mentally - can't see how Foyt would be good to/for him.....

Personally I would hope he find a good home in the IRL - he is a great driver in the right situation, kind of the Massa of AOWR

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I think after 2 years in NASCAR, he has gotten used to a regular paycheck that wont require him to bring 3 million plus dollars in sponsorship with him. One of the things I have noticed from my endless hours on the road listening to the NASCAR Sirius station is that in THAT world, AJ has some value in the eyes of many and it is likely he will take a ride with Ganassi replacing Reed Sorenson.

Get with the program guys, he is GONE from the Indy Car world. Roger Penske might have an open seat if things go bad for Helio, but you can bet AJ will not be on the speed dial. AJ will make a good living racing for a second rate NASCAR team because it is a challenge to grow with a team. Last year lots of people were taking shots at him for taking the money and sucking, but since the summer he has found a lot of speed and has made progress in stock cars. Live with the reality he is gone......
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    I think after 2 years in NASCAR, he has gotten used to a regular paycheck that wont require him to bring 3 million plus dollars in sponsorship with him. One of the things I have noticed from my endless hours on the road listening to the NASCAR Sirius station is that in THAT world, AJ has some value in the eyes of many and it is likely he will take a ride with Ganassi replacing Reed Sorenson.

Get with the program guys, he is GONE from the Indy Car world. Roger Penske might have an open seat if things go bad for Helio, but you can bet AJ will not be on the speed dial. AJ will make a good living racing for a second rate NASCAR team because it is a challenge to grow with a team. Last year lots of people were taking shots at him for taking the money and sucking, but since the summer he has found a lot of speed and has made progress in stock cars. Live with the reality he is gone......

This is what gets me. AJA was finally starting to get it this year and to qualify decently and run well. He did a great job at Fontana and raced in the top 10 a good part of the race, and when challenged, raced very well and maintained his position and occasionally improved on it.

Red Bull rushed Allmendinger into Sprint Cup before he was ready, even though he competed well in CTS. But as we all know, Sprint Cup is a different animal. Red Bull is getting it right with Scott Speed and he is responding in the manner you'd expect of a talented driver as he ups his game with every promotion. Unfortunately, AJ is going to pay a price for Red Bull's poor handling of his development. They utilized what they learned to do a better job of bringing Scott Speed along.

Should AJ go back to open wheel in ICS? I'd keep it as an option. Maybe one of the transitional Champ car teams could take an interest and he could help them along as they get competitive in Indy Cars. If he did give up the 84 Red Bull car to look for a job, that was a mistake. He should have stayed and continued to race, because racers are supposed to race. If by hook or crook he won a race, his case for a ride would be twice as strong.
    "Racing is life. Everything before or after, is just waiting." Steve McQueen, Le Mans