Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rider salaries!?!?

Hi there,

I was curious what kind of money riders make?

WSB, AMASB, SS MotoGP, 250, 125 etc etc. Anyone have an idea

I believe MotoGP guys are in the millions, at least the sharp end. I hear there is not alot of money in WSB. And lots in AMA.
    HELLO CHAMPCAR!! WAKE UP!! ARE YOU THERE??!!?? HELLLLLOOOOOO!!!!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Salaries and earnings are one of those things riders dont talk about

From the things we read in the press, Rossi had estimated earnings of US $34 million in 2007.

According to BRW, in 2007 Stoner made AUS $4.2 million and Mat Mladin AUS $6.6 million. Both were topped by motocrosser Chad Reed who made AUS $7.8 million. Stoner should be making much more in 2008.

Salaries are just one part (the smallest?) of their earnings, most are bonuses and sponsorships
    I got my motorcycle jacket, but I'm walking all the time...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

riders salaries

Some riders get nothing Just personal sponsorship

some riders pay for their riders and get a percentage back in return from the money put in

some riders get a sponsor to pay for their ride and then end up in debt
    when their smaller sponsors renaig on their deals.

some riders are so rich but still wont let go of the sport when no one wants them that they pay a team and ride for nothing all season.

Young riders . whilst doing well in the support classes and sure of getting podiums and a bit of t.v. coverage and journal exposure.get all sorts of promises from leather and crash helmet companies that they will stay with them all the way. Give them free leathers bit of money to keep them happy. Then when they are in the bigger classes and they are probably not going to get any podiums these wonderful companies disappear and tell the same story to some other youngster.

Thats just some of the things that happen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisS

From the things we read in the press, Rossi had estimated earnings of US $34 million in 2007.

According to BRW, in 2007 Stoner made AUS $4.2 million and Mat Mladin AUS $6.6 million. Both were topped by motocrosser Chad Reed who made AUS $7.8 million. Stoner should be making much more in 2008.

Salaries are just one part (the smallest?) of their earnings, most are bonuses and sponsorships
    The figure quoted is of interest given that Ducati and others have said that CS was 'cheap' in 2007 and it was reported that his base salary was around 300k.

I recall earlier this year/late last year it was said to have re-signed with Ducati for around 900k - 1 million, so the earnings quoted are either way off or total earnings as distinct to salary.

As has already been said by other posters most riders will not discuss salary for much the same reason and you and I may not. It is purely a private matter between the employer (team/manufacturer) and employee (rider) and is no business of anyone else.

However, there is salary and then earnings which are two distinctly different numbers altogether.

The salary is the 'retainer' paid by the employer (team) to the employee (rider) to have that rider on that specific machine.

Earnings would include all various personal endorsements that will generally move with the rider should they decide to change bikes or teams. An example of this could be Jorge Lorenzo who were he to move would take the ChupaChup personal sponsorship but not the Fiat team sponsorship. Fiat Yamaha pay his salary but ChupaChups contribute to his total earnings.

Most truly top riders (say those in the top few) will generally double to quadruple their salary with endorsements.

Garry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm still trying to figure out some of the AMA guys make so much money. It's a shame that WSBK riders don't make as much given that AMA rode as a support class at Miller. That's just not right, IMO. I'm guessing it's sponsership dough... but, like someone else mentioned, no one's willing to speak up and explain this.

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisS

On the news last year it was reported that Stoner was making $6 million in a 4-year deal. I might be wrong on that though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gco0307
    The figure quoted is of interest given that Ducati and others have said that CS was 'cheap' in 2007 and it was reported that his base salary was around 300k.
    Casey's dad Colin is his manager, and he's a cluey bloke. He did a deal with Ducati that set a low base salary ($300k is probably spot on) but with a very lucrative bonus scheme based on results. And we know how his results went in 2007!

Vermeulen was on around $2M for 2008. One of the reasons he took so long to come to terms with Suzuki for 2009 was that they wanted to half his salary.
    Phantom... Bike Who Parks

"It's a tour, not a race... but don't get in my way while I'm touring!"