Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Robin Miller piece on Indycar site......Mario and Paul were together a long, treasured time......

http://www.indycar.com/news/?story_id=12632

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This doesn't sound like much, but I want to share it anyway. You remember that appearence on Jay Leno where he and Paul Newman raced karts? You knew Leno had no chance, but even as Paul was winning by an increasingly wider margin, I began to focus on his technique. His car control was very disiplined and almost effortless, even if he hung the tail out a bit. He was so smooth you forgot he was driving a kart. And this is from an 80 year old guy.

There were very few greater friends to racing than Paul Newman.
    "Racing is life. Everything before or after, is just waiting." Steve McQueen, Le Mans

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mate
    I was in shocked about paul newman! My thoughts, Prayers and condolences are with his family and friends
    He did have cancer! You might have been the only one who was shocked!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A very great man. He lived his life to the fullest and loved by many. A life lesson to all of us.
    "Lawyers are the best investment"....Tom Leykis

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I know I am getting in late to this one...but I will really miss Paul. He didn't just talk about helping people, or made meaningless gestures towards charity, but he put his money where his mouth was.

The fact he was a hell of a race driver is why we are mourning him here, but he was a tremendous man in so many ways that there is no justice we can bring to his legacy.

A buddy of mine met Paul in the most interesting way. One year at the race in Toronto, us local Timing and Scoring volunteers were not needed to assist the CART timers, so we were looking for places to watch. My buddy Paul found a spot with the TV spotter on a small platform under the Timing tower at Pit Exit. He settles in with the spotter when they hear a voice behind them as the cars are doing pace laps "you guys have room for one more?" It was Mr. Newman of course...and of course they found a chair for him there on the spotters stand. Since no one but authroized people could get there, PLN knew he would be safe from the prying eyes of the press and fans. He loved his racing and didn't want to be a distraction, so it was why he rarely watched the races from the pits. They talked racing and enjoyed the race, which Mikey Andretti happened to win, making Paul's day...and my buddy's as well. It was very much the fact he was a regular guy despite the fame that has made him such an endearing guy..and why we mourn his loss so...

Godspeed Paul...you were a tremendous actor, racer, phlantropist and man....and we will all miss you.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    I know I am getting in late to this one...but I will really miss Paul. He didn't just talk about helping people, or made meaningless gestures towards charity, but he put his money where his mouth was.

The fact he was a hell of a race driver is why we are mourning him here, but he was a tremendous man in so many ways that there is no justice we can bring to his legacy.

A buddy of mine met Paul in the most interesting way. One year at the race in Toronto, us local Timing and Scoring volunteers were not needed to assist the CART timers, so we were looking for places to watch. My buddy Paul found a spot with the TV spotter on a small platform under the Timing tower at Pit Exit. He settles in with the spotter when they hear a voice behind them as the cars are doing pace laps "you guys have room for one more?" It was Mr. Newman of course...and of course they found a chair for him there on the spotters stand. Since no one but authroized people could get there, PLN knew he would be safe from the prying eyes of the press and fans. He loved his racing and didn't want to be a distraction, so it was why he rarely watched the races from the pits. They talked racing and enjoyed the race, which Mikey Andretti happened to win, making Paul's day...and my buddy's as well. It was very much the fact he was a regular guy despite the fame that has made him such an endearing guy..and why we mourn his loss so...

Godspeed Paul...you were a tremendous actor, racer, phlantropist and man....and we will all miss you.
    I envy you that one, Mark. Nice tribute to a great man.
    "Racing is life. Everything before or after, is just waiting." Steve McQueen, Le Mans