Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    My memories about Herbert are that he was firstly an unlucky driver often retiring front point-scoring positions, although this was made up by 3 wins, all which involved luck-factor. Secondly he looked like a consistent and reliable driver, although on most occasions lacked of pace and usually got beaten by his team-mates of strong caliber (like Irvine, Barrichello, Alesi, Frentzen, not even mentioning MS) over a full season. His finest seasons were probably those, where Johnny wasn't in a shadow of his team-mate (93, 97). We may discuss what could have been without that nasty 88 Brands Hatch accident, but... alas in the end those discussions don't change anything...

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    He quickly went from being the hottest new talent (early 1989), to being a solid reliable team-man. However, Johnny accepted his predicament with his customary good humour.

Herbert did suffer more than his fair share of ill-fortune. Perhaps the most frustrating setback was Monza '94, when he qualified very strongly, only to be sidelined at the start by a crash which was not of his making.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Walker
    Did Alan Henry really say that? He is more stupid than I thought he was then.
    Seems like it'll be his turn to run round a race track naked!

There was an excellent interview with Johnny in a recent issue of MotorSport magazine. It illustrated just what trials and tribulations he went through during his career. Thankfully, he has not lost that impish sense of humour!

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    That was a frank and revealing interview. Quicker than Piquet at one point probably shows what might've been

Then again he said previously before the accident he was shy, inward and a bit arrogant and used an outward humorous personality to hide the awful pain. Judging by the former I wonder whether he really would've been the next Senna (I was too young to follow F3).....

Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    That was a frank and revealing interview. Quicker than Piquet at one point probably shows what might've been

Then again he said previously before the accident he was shy, inward and a bit arrogant and used an outward humorous personality to hide the awful pain. Judging by the former I wonder whether he really would've been the next Senna (I was too young to follow F3).....
    #

Yes, the relevation that he "changed" his personality after the accident was new to me. I only really started following his career in the aftermath of the crash.