Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Honda to Sponsor Tornto Grand Prix

There should be a press conference later today to announce that Honda will be the title sponsor of the 2009 Toronto Grand Prix.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...TPStory/Sports

The rumor is that they're putting up $2 to $5 million for the naming rights and the festival is going to make more money by selling the pouring rights to a Canadian beer company, which will mark the first time they've not had two wrap the two into the same deal, which should speak well to making the festival profitable.

While it's good to see Honda step up its involvement and see Toronto get a big-name sponsor its also a bit bittersweet. Sure Honda is a great partner, but their sponsorship doesn't do anything to diversity the sport's sponsor pool. Not to sound unappreciative of Honda, but the sport would have been better served if Molsen, LaBatt's or Air Canada had stepped up. While its a good thing, it ups the number of races directly tied to Honda to three, Motegi, Mid-Ohio, and now Toronto. What happens if Honda decides to decrease its involvement? At what point is the IRL too deeply in bed with one partner?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDS
    There should be a press conference later today to announce that Honda will be the title sponsor of the 2009 Toronto Grand Prix.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...TPStory/Sports

The rumor is that they're putting up $2 to $5 million for the naming rights and the festival is going to make more money by selling the pouring rights to a Canadian beer company, which will mark the first time they've not had two wrap the two into the same deal, which should speak well to making the festival profitable.

While it's good to see Honda step up its involvement and see Toronto get a big-name sponsor its also a bit bittersweet. Sure Honda is a great partner, but their sponsorship doesn't do anything to diversity the sport's sponsor pool. Not to sound unappreciative of Honda, but the sport would have been better served if Molsen, LaBatt's or Air Canada had stepped up. While its a good thing, it ups the number of races directly tied to Honda to three, Motegi, Mid-Ohio, and now Toronto. What happens if Honda decides to decrease its involvement? At what point is the IRL too deeply in bed with one partner?
    An anecdote:

Today (just about 30 mins ago infact) on Prime Time Sports the Toronto sports radio station's drivetime show, Michael Andretti was to appear (the show is also televised) to trumpet this wonderful faux sponsor the race has acquired.

Bob McCowan and the other hosts tried to fill the dead air as they waited to make contact with Michael Andretti with talk about Honda. Then they couldn't wait so they went to commercial and said they'd try to get him after the break.

Well, after the break, an audibly (and I am sure visibly), angry McCowan came back on and said "we aren't going to have Michael Andretti so no free promotion for Honda and the race I guess...let's move on to something that actually matters." At this point, one of the other hosts attempted to comment but McCowan cut him off. You could tell he was really pissed off, and I'll be surprised if anyone from Indycar is ever invited on the show again.

Another feather in the cap for Indycar, Andretti and the Toronto Honda Indy...well done!!!
    Bye

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 994ever
    An anecdote:

Today (just about 30 mins ago infact) on Prime Time Sports the Toronto sports radio station's drivetime show, Michael Andretti was to appear (the show is also televised) to trumpet this wonderful faux sponsor the race has acquired.

Bob McCowan and the other hosts tried to fill the dead air as they waited to make contact with Michael Andretti with talk about Honda. Then they couldn't wait so they went to commercial and said they'd try to get him after the break.

Well, after the break, an audibly (and I am sure visibly), angry McCowan came back on and said "we aren't going to have Michael Andretti so no free promotion for Honda and the race I guess...let's move on to something that actually matters." At this point, one of the other hosts attempted to comment but McCowan cut him off. You could tell he was really pissed off, and I'll be surprised if anyone from Indycar is ever invited on the show again.

Another feather in the cap for Indycar, Andretti and the Toronto Honda Indy...well done!!!
    Really?!

Was it worse than that time when CC suppose to make an announcement "live" on streaming video yet it end up a bunch of 3 chairs, one girl sitting down, bunch of guys walking around her in a very dim light or was just the video? In the end no one made an announcement. For a moment there, I thought I was watching a jihadists about to execute somebody.

Was it worse than that, 994ever? If that's the case, then that sucks!
    "Lawyers are the best investment"....Tom Leykis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cart750hp
    Really?!

Was it worse than that time when CC suppose to make an announcement "live" on streaming video yet it end up a bunch of 3 chairs, one girl sitting down, bunch of guys walking around her in a very dim light or was just the video? In the end no one made an announcement. For a moment there, I thought I was watching a jihadists about to execute somebody.

Follow the logic. If it was not worse than that, then it is all right. If something is not worse than the oh-so-evil CCWS than everything is just fine. Then Mikey should do this more often. Of course, if you like beating a dead horse, be my guest.
    “It used to be about trying to do something. Now it’s about trying to be someone.”

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cart750hp
    Really?!

What does that have to do with ANYTHING being discussed here? Reality alert: CC does not exist any more. Gone. Finito. Stick a form in 'em they're done.

But as the good Dr. said, if you are still beating a dead horse, go right ahead if it makes you feel better.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.