Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I disagree with a couple, but domaza has it pretty well down for me in starting the thread.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great things about 2008

I think the number 1 great thing about this season is that the last 2 guys standing for the IRL Championship at the last race of the season, are both committed IRL guys. No rumors of NASCAR or Formula 1 or NHRA or A1GP or WRC or go-kart racing, anywhere to be found.

For the first time in 3 years, the IRL Champion and the Indy 500 Champion will be back to defend his titles.

The exodus from American Open-Wheel is over. The trend is reversing. Franchitti is back. Brent Sherman jumped over from Nationwide. Rumors are now starting to appear about NASCAR, Nationwide and ARCA drivers coming to openwheel.

Another great thing about the season is how quickly the ex-CCWS teams adapted, persisted, laughed, cried, and fought their way into contention in the series. To be especially congratulated is KV Racing with Servia finishing in the top 10 point standings and a win for Will Power at Long Beach. Honorable mention goes to Newman Haas Lanigan for their epic wins at St. Pete and Detroit. HVM Racing also showed great signs of competitive prowess with E.J. Viso running well all season and then having the resources to go to a 4 car team in 2009. (2 IRL, 2 FIL) .

Hideki Mutoh managed to win a Rookie of the Year Title that actually meant something and not the farce the IRL has had the past few seasons for this particular award. Justin Wilson just narrowly missed capturing the title this year.
    HOO HOO HOO HOOSIERS !

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagocrewIRL
    For the first time in 3 years, the IRL Champion and the Indy 500 Champion will be back to defend his titles.
    Hornish came back in 07 to defend his title in 06.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagocrewIRL
    Another great thing about the season is how quickly the ex-CCWS teams adapted, persisted, laughed, cried, and fought their way into contention in the series. To be especially congratulated is KV Racing with Servia finishing in the top 10 point standings and a win for Will Power at Long Beach. Honorable mention goes to Newman Haas Lanigan for their epic wins at St. Pete and Detroit. HVM Racing also showed great signs of competitive prowess with E.J. Viso running well all season and then having the resources to go to a 4 car team in 2009. (2 IRL, 2 FIL) .

Hideki Mutoh managed to win a Rookie of the Year Title that actually meant something and not the farce the IRL has had the past few seasons for this particular award. Justin Wilson just narrowly missed capturing the title this year.
    I would agree it is fitting Mutoh won it, simply because he was a true rookie in the sense of never having big-league experience whereas Wilson, Power and others got slapped with the rookie tag even though they had prior years in Champ Car. Just b/c of their lack of oval experience. Would have been nice if TV mentioned it on Sunday but they were too fixated on the wives...

All told it was an especially trying year for the ex-CC teams. Hopefully with an actual off-season to tweak setups and improve their cars, they won't be as far behind next year. I fear for N/H/L though b/c of Newman's health and the corresponding sponsorship that goes with it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I have enjoyed 2008 Immensly

Ive enjoyed
    The mix of Road and Street Races
    Championship comming down to the wire - would of been cruel for Wilson if he lost it but kudos to Helio and Penske for making it close
    Indy 500 Qualifying format
    The end of Diancamania (Sorry but I cant stand her) and more commentating on the performing drivers of the season.
    The few races where there was side by side racing - wish there was more
    Ryan Briscoe's season (and not having to worry about where he will end up whilest reading motosport silly season threads

What I dont like.....
    Uncertainty of Surfers Paradise beyond 2008
    Posiblitiy of loosing TV Coverage In Oz
    Clouded future off Team Australia
    Street Circuits too narrow - wheres the passing opportunities
    Finding some teams thrive on Road or Street Races and not on the other - would like it more even
    Casey Stoner: 2007 World Champion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    A decent TV package for Canada. If ABC were showing the race fine although the commercials got a bit much.
    If it was ESPN (of any type) in the US it was TSN up here, sometimes TSN2, now gone, and at any hour, often midnight or later. I missed several races because of that and when I was at a motel they (different ones) if it was TSN 2 they didn't have the channel on cable. I eventually gave up and quit following the series.
    TSN didn't have side by side so even more was missed due to commercials.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cart750hp
    It looks like the first was more of the second year. There are tons of good things came up when these two series finally reunited. Sure, there are bad stuff and negative things lurking around this one unified series but quite honestly, this is just the first year. As the series' move on as one series, this just gets better. Just waiting for that series sponsor and more manufacturer to climb on board and IndyCar will be again just like it was.

Not to be out of the topic but there's one main thing lacking this time of the year during the CC years when I was a fan. That is: CC management lies. They put hopes on the fans yet couldn't deliver when it's due. This year.............................................. NONE OF THAT AT ALL.
    Well stated and I agree and add that we still don't know about Surfer's so the the water is still not totally clear.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Pro: Paul Tracy finishing 4th at Edmonton.

Con: Paul Tracy only raced at Edmonton.
    "For 80 years this place has run on tradition. From today forward it will run as a business." - Tony George (Failed businessman)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelred5
    Michigan and Fontana need to be on the schedule just like Road America and Cleveland. These are 4 of the best tracks for open wheel racing in this country, with some of the best races ever in Indycars/Champcar history, and none of the 4 are on the schedule.

Dump Iowa, Homestead and Kansas and add in these 4, then find a chassis not so painful to look at to put on them and I'd be 100% better than I was this year. As much as I tried to stay interested, I was hard to watch most of the year. That just wasn't my guys out there..............
    Damn skippy, nigelred5. Couldn't have put it better. Bring back the REAL ovals, not the cookie cutter BS, not ovals less than a mile long (a bit ridiculous for top level open wheel racers), and bring back the classic roadcourses, all of what you stated above. That will get the fans excited and and looking for better things to come.
    "Racing is life. Everything before or after, is just waiting." Steve McQueen, Le Mans

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nigelred5
    Michigan and Fontana need to be on the schedule just like Road America and Cleveland. These are 4 of the best tracks for open wheel racing in this country, with some of the best races ever in Indycars/Champcar history, and none of the 4 are on the schedule.

Dump Iowa, Homestead and Kansas and add in these 4, then find a chassis not so painful to look at to put on them and I'd be 100% better than I was this year. As much as I tried to stay interested, I was hard to watch most of the year. That just wasn't my guys out there..............
    Damn skippy, nigelred5. Couldn't have put it better. Bring back the REAL ovals, not the cookie cutter BS, not ovals less than a mile long (a bit ridiculous for top level open wheel racers), and bring back the classic roadcourses, all of what you stated above. That will get the fans excited and looking for even better things to come.
    "Racing is life. Everything before or after, is just waiting." Steve McQueen, Le Mans

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well, Chap and NigelRed, those are all fine race tracks but the sanctioning body and the promoter at those venues must strike a bargain for a race to happen at them, i.e., MONEY. And if it doesn't make financial sense for either or both the promoter and sanctioning body, they aren't gonna happen, IMO.