I came across this link and couldn't believe it when I read it.

http://www.rfmsports.com/IMSA/ALMS/S...ence.2008.html

This is what the conference was about:

The official banner of the conference was: “Fuel economy and energy efficiency: How racing can deliver innovative solutions…fast!” The unofficial tag was “Relevancy” and that theme was raised throughout the daylong conference held on Belle Isle at the Detroit Yacht Club.
This is what Fred said:
In contrast, Fred Nation, Executive V.P. of the IRL and Indianapolis Motor Speedway, offered only that all their cars operate on 100% ethanol. The remainder of his presentation focused on changes (or the lack thereof) to the IRL format following the “reunification” with CWS. For example, no one should expect to see less than 50% of their races held on ovals; the relevancy of which was lost on most conference participants. When asked if IRL was willing to become more radical, even in terms of chassis development, Nation remarked that there was “too much inertia in favor of the current evolution of Indy cars” to become really radical.
So at a conference of Industry big wigs and engineers, a perfect opportunity to state some of ideas the IRL would like to see in their future engine and chassis designs, they send Fred Nation in to say that. Brilliant!! I'm sure Fred's off topic and lack of vision for the future speech impressed the manufacturers to consider future involvement in the IRL. A stupid self inflicted wound.

Too bad the didn't have Rahal as the official IRL spokesman as he sounded great. Unfortunately he seemed to be there more for BMW and the ALMS.