Thread: Working in WRC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Working in WRC

Hi,

I am very interested about working in WRC. My current profession is an IT project manager and I would like to hear what are the options to work in WRC if you are not a mechanic or engineer - e.g. I guess there are lot of to do in IT field or in any other field as well. Where should I start to search contacts from? Which companies should I contact to?

I know that http://www.easynet.com is providing WRC events with the infrastructure of all live timings, results etc. So I guess contacting with this company would be one option.

So, if you have any experience or thougths of how to get into WRC, then please help

Ergo

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    I hear Max needs an assistant. But you have to be into BDSM.

Sorry Ergo, I just couldn't resist
    Another Flying Finn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Have a look at the M-Sport (who run the BP Ford, Stobart and Munchi's WRC teams) and Prodrive (who run Subaru's WRC team) websites, and see the careers sections. Both are usually looking out for skilled engineers and mechanics.

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    well i think that getting directly into WRC without prior experience in motorsport IT services is a bit optimistic...don't know your age but if you are young enough try finding a job into a smaller motorsport corpooration or a smaller rally/motorsport team.

Best of luck/success in whater you do.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    ISC-T had a opening in the IT section, they run the timing and start/finish and tracking etc. at the events.

If you are into IT, it would be up your street
    Passion will make you crazy, but is there a other way to live ? :burnout:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProRally
    ISC-T had a opening in the IT section, they run the timing and start/finish and tracking etc. at the events.

If you are into IT, it would be up your street
    I went for that job (advertised in Autosport magazine) and unfortunately didn't get it. But I did asked for advise on future opportunities and basically you need to attempt to get into a team at whatever level and then start making contacts within the WRC community.
    I know a few people who work at various levels, such as media, technical and broadcast and opportunities a few and far between and when an opening arises lots of people apply.
    Personally this year I have done some media and IT work for a couple of small teams and people in the uk and this got me trips out Sardinia, Spain and Wales.

Always worth sending speculative letters off to teams and events - often making the tea or fixing a laptop for a stressed PR manager offen helps your profile!

Flipper

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    My advice. Don't work with something you love. It'll become just like any job and you'll grow to hate it.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts
    @ergo,

I agree with Daniel, except I won't use the word "hate". I am currently working in GP2 and have previously worked for two F3000 teams (Team den Blċ Avis, Super Nova satellite team run by Paul Jackson, and the start-up phase with Brand motorsport). I have also worked for Forix, F1Racing.net (now GPUpdate) and Flagworld writing articles about F3000 & GP2.

But - as Daniel say, your passion for motorsports will not be the same, and working in motorsport is very tough. It hard work, with nasty deadlines, a lot of work in weekends and the money ain't that good.

But if you get lucky getting into the world of rally, I wish you the best.
    Supporting Ogier in the WRC & Ferrari in F1 & Ducati in MotoGP.