Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rundgy
    BS, Helio is the worst blocker I have ever seen. It's about time he was called on it. If drivers were allowed to block like that there would be no passing and many more crashes.
    I don't think there'd be more crashes - Helio didn't run him into the wall.

There would be no passing primarily due to the fact that the IRL at the moment fancies poky little street circuits over circuits like Road America and Cleveland.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theugsquirrel
    I don't think there'd be more crashes - Helio didn't run him into the wall.
    Only because it was JW and not PT that the dancin' man pulled this crap on. Justin had the sense to back off or they both would have been taken out, with Justin in the wall. Which is precisely why this rule exists.

Why should auto racing be any different from track and field in this regard. In that sport you are not allowed to block your opponent. If they are faster and can get by you must allow them. You don't have to make it easy, you are just not allowed to prevent it. In that sport it is about who is the fastest, not who is the most aggressive. Why should that not be true in auto racing as well. I can understand why it is tolerated a bit more in fendered series. There the blockee has a fighting chance to take on the blocker and dish a bit back, but in open wheel that would be a formula for disaster or worse.

And, mind you, I am not suggesting that you have to castrate the sport either. There is a difference between taking a line that prevents the driver behind you from being able to pass and moving that driver over once they are along side. The latter being CLEARLY what Helio did.

I am a big fan of Helio. I think he is a great driver and personality. But in this case he was flat out wrong, and needed to just shut up and take responsibility for his own infraction of the rules. Which by the way, as far as I know, do NOT stipulate a warning must be given.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.