Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Member The instant classic's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    Still can't find that pesky shift key huh?

Gary
    i have put ,,,,,,, alot?
    Thats The Way Of The Road.Thats The Way She Goes.Sometimes She Goes Sometimes She Doesn't Go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Anthony George prove that not only is he a clue-less twit, but so are the brown -nosers he hires.
    Thank god there is still sprint and drag cars.

Senior Member The instant classic's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
    Anthony George prove that not only is he a clue-less twit, but so are the brown -nosers he hires.
    Thank god there is still sprint and drag cars.
    hate to say it but i agree
    Thats The Way Of The Road.Thats The Way She Goes.Sometimes She Goes Sometimes She Doesn't Go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The IRL fan
    yes oh yes i miss that one it was late here my eyes where almost shut nore:
    but i still stand by why not bring it with the new car? have everything come in 1 year, i never really agreed with nascar using the COT at some race tracks last year, and now full time this year,, to me indycar just doesnt seem to be organized ,, for this year they keep adding tracks on the season, and it mess up alot i feel,,next year new mufflers, year after new cars,, the way i feel wait till the new car is done, and ready, then lets bring the new mufflers,, then add more tracks,, and not be so disorganized, over this past year indycar has change alot, we all know why, but i feel they are pushing to much to soon
    I don't see what mufflers have to do with the new car. The mufflers are part of the exhaust and that's part of the engine. This is Honda's problem, not Dallara.

And while I'm typing, slow transitions are better than fast ones.

NASCAR took forever because they had no idea if the COT would actually work in a race. Keeping the old spec around was an exit strategy.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    NASCAR failed with the new car. They are without a doubt about the most ungainly looking pos, although I can't say I love the Dallara either. I think the IRL should have a commercial that shows the cars side by side and asks "which one is the race car?"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Miatanut
    They are going to use mufflers next year and DROP them when the turbos come in, due to the natural muffling effect of a turbo.

(Does this mean it's time for a ten page debate on whether turbos actually muffle the exhaust note, or can we all take that as a given from the experience of our own ears at the track?)
    I'm prepared to take you at your word, but for the sake of illumination, can you explain how that works? I'm honestly curious as to how that happens.
    "Racing is life. Everything before or after, is just waiting." Steve McQueen, Le Mans

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Miatanut
    ...(Does this mean it's time for a ten page debate on whether turbos actually muffle the exhaust note, or can we all take that as a given from the experience of our own ears at the track?)
    There is no question that turbos muffle the exhaust sound of an engine - just listen to the turbo-aspirated cars in the ALMS.

I just hope the engine design/turbo combination do not excessively mute the engine, like the ALMS/LMS diesels. Despite their technological coolness, the Audi and Peugeot diesels do not have an appealing sound. I got about as close to them as is possible during Le Mans (the straight between Mulsanne and Indianapolis) this year and all I can say is this: they sound like extra-quiet vacuum cleaners.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerIMS
    There is no question that turbos muffle the exhaust sound of an engine - just listen to the turbo-aspirated cars in the ALMS.

I just hope the engine design/turbo combination do not excessively mute the engine, like the ALMS/LMS diesels. Despite their technological coolness, the Audi and Peugeot diesels do not have an appealing sound. I got about as close to them as is possible during Le Mans (the straight between Mulsanne and Indianapolis) this year and all I can say is this: they sound like extra-quiet vacuum cleaners.
    It's my understanding that the Audi and Peugeot LMP1's also have the diesel particulate filters installed. This would also significantly muffle the sound.

That, and as it's a marketing exercise to explode the myth of "clunk diesels" alot of NVH work is included that a regular race car wouldn't have.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaparral66
    I'm prepared to take you at your word, but for the sake of illumination, can you explain how that works? I'm honestly curious as to how that happens.
    I would have to say my knowledge of it is just from being at the track and noticing the difference between turbos and non-turbos of various outputs, and noticing the turbos are consistently quieter.

I took a class in acoustics in grad school, but I don't think I can explain just how it works.

I think it's basically just that the vanes of the turbo smooth the exhaust flow, which reduces the amplitude (loudness) of the pressure pulse (sound waves) coming out of the exhaust ports.

My instructor in school (an acoustical consultant) said mufflers work on the principle of a Helmholtz resonator, and that the friction on the restricted opening between the chamber and the main body of the muffler took the energy out of the exhaust note (reduced its amplitude).

I like a muffler that gives you more power more than one that takes some away!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think a turbo also muffles due to taking energy out of the exhaust as it transfers the energy back into the motor.