Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mufflers coming in 2009

Until 2011, the IRL hopes to soften the sound of the normally aspirated engines with mufflers now under development. They should be in place next season.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...8/newsletter01
    "For 80 years this place has run on tradition. From today forward it will run as a business." - Tony George (Failed businessman)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I just realized something. 20 years ago, Indycars were turbocharged. Today, they aren't. In 3 years, they will be again.

Does that qualify as some kind of technolgical regression?
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The turbos are being added primarily because the series is going with more road courses. I do not see the turbos being helpful on the ovals, besides the sweeter sound. In fact, the ovals will be what limits the power of the new engine, and compromises street performance. The mid 90s had all kinds of cheating with the turbo valve and on large ovals it made the racing unsafe. I'd be happy if they went with a 700 hp v6 turbo and controlled power electronically. And lots of post-race testing like NASCAR does.

Senior Member The instant classic's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i find it kind of dumb that, they will use,new mufflers in 2011,, why not use them in 2010 with the new car? seems dumb to me,, to make the new car for 2010, and just have the next year re-make the cars all over again for the mufflers dont you think?
    Thats The Way Of The Road.Thats The Way She Goes.Sometimes She Goes Sometimes She Doesn't Go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The IRL fan
    i find it kind of dumb that, they will use,new mufflers in 2011,, why not use them in 2010 with the new car? seems dumb to me,, to make the new car for 2010, and just have the next year re-make the cars all over again for the mufflers dont you think?
    They are going to use mufflers next year and DROP them when the turbos come in, due to the natural muffling effect of a turbo.

(Does this mean it's time for a ten page debate on whether turbos actually muffle the exhaust note, or can we all take that as a given from the experience of our own ears at the track?)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Miatanut
    Does this mean it's time for a ten page debate on whether turbos actually muffle the exhaust note, or can we all take that as a given from the experience of our own ears at the track?
    My ears agree with you.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dataman1
    My ears agree with you.

Well, we need something to talk about since the activity in here has gone to almost zero
    Chrome Horn Racing
    Will Power, 2011 Champion!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wink

What's the title of this thread again?
    "For 80 years this place has run on tradition. From today forward it will run as a business." - Tony George (Failed businessman)

Senior Member The instant classic's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Monaco
    What's the title of this thread again?
    yes oh yes i miss that one it was late here my eyes where almost shut nore:
    but i still stand by why not bring it with the new car? have everything come in 1 year, i never really agreed with nascar using the COT at some race tracks last year, and now full time this year,, to me indycar just doesnt seem to be organized ,, for this year they keep adding tracks on the season, and it mess up alot i feel,,next year new mufflers, year after new cars,, the way i feel wait till the new car is done, and ready, then lets bring the new mufflers,, then add more tracks,, and not be so disorganized, over this past year indycar has change alot, we all know why, but i feel they are pushing to much to soon
    Thats The Way Of The Road.Thats The Way She Goes.Sometimes She Goes Sometimes She Doesn't Go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    yes oh yes i miss that one it was late here my eyes where almost shut nore:
    but i still stand by why not bring it with the new car? have everything come in 1 year, i never really agreed with nascar using the COT at some race tracks last year, and now full time this year,, to me indycar just doesnt seem to be organized ,, for this year they keep adding tracks on the season, and it mess up alot i feel,,next year new mufflers, year after new cars,, the way i feel wait till the new car is done, and ready, then lets bring the new mufflers,, then add more tracks,, and not be so disorganized, over this past year indycar has change alot, we all know why, but i feel they are pushing to much to soon

Still can't find that pesky shift key huh?

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.