Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_andrew
    No, NASCAR allows and encourages blocking.
    It is a gimmick similar to caution flags in that actual racing becomes a casualty in order to manufacture spectacle.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Folks, get back on topic. This is not supposed to be a political thread.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    I think the last line should read: Oval racing fans saw it as their savior attempting to control the sport and bring the good old days back.

I was not among them. I was clearly in the CART camp, but I don't discount the IRL folks the way you do as being blind to the attempt to control the sport. I am pretty sure they knew it as well as anyone else.

Gary
    I hope not.

CART was a democracy of the owners. A would-be dictator wanted to take the sport over. Why wouldn't anybody for Indy, mom, apple pie, and Chevrolet be against such an un-American concept?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Miatanut
    I hope not.

CART was a democracy of the owners. A would-be dictator wanted to take the sport over. Why wouldn't anybody for Indy, mom, apple pie, and Chevrolet be against such an un-American concept?
    That's the foxes watching the henhouse, doesn't work (and didn't work).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart

Even though the power is modest up to 2500 rpm, the transmission's lower-gear ratios keep the Ralliart from being too sluggish from a standing start. If you find the base Mitsubishi Lancer ($13,990) a little too poky and the Lancer Evolution ($32,990) too pricey, your ship has come in. Actually, two ships have come in: a Lancer GTS ($17,990) with a larger engine for 2009, and a turbocharged 2009 Lancer Ralliart (under $27,000, estimated ) to bridge the gap between the more pedestrian Lancer and the fire-breathing Evo. Mitsubishi characterizes the Ralliart as more of a tuned-up Lancer than a detuned Evolution.
    -----------------------------------------
    anupacraig

wiki posting

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Back on topic,
    F1 was never better than when Michelin and Bridgestone battled on track. They had completely different characteristics, and every race and quali for that matter was exciting. Unfortunately the development costs and safety issue (USGP) create a problem. The option tire was/is an attempt, by both CC and F1 to bring the excitment of multiple tire mfg's into the racing without the other issues. It's not perfect but it's better than nothing. (push to pass is a similar attempt at having multiple engine mfg's, different hp/torque characteristics etc.)
    Standing starts, for me are one of the most exciting, suspensful moments in motorsport. The buildup during the parade lap and anticipation as all that horsepower lines up on the grid... They are no gimmick. It's has good as racing gets IMO.
    A longtime fan of CART/CC and I've never liked the rolling starts on streets/roads. They're competely ridiculous, uncontrolled and quite often a gong show.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by F1boat
    How can a powerboat use a flying start hock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXCHCy1IFmY

Actually pretty much the only powerboats that DON'T use flying starts are F1 tunnelhulls and Drag boats. ALL inboard hydros use a flying start, off shore powerboats use a flying start. It takes most hydro's and offshore powerboats so long to get on plane it's mind numbing. In the states, even most outboard powered tunnel boats use a flying start. Only the F1, Champboats and SST 140's in some areas use a dock start i nthe states and drag boats start from a static line. That said, I love tunnelboats. I've got a little 12ft former c-sport hydro with a 40 tohatsu that I play in on the river.

Standing starts are the only fair way to start at most streetcourses IMO, ESPECIALLY Long Beach with the rediculously tight hairpin leading onto shoreline. Leave the rolling starts to the ovals.
    HINCHTOWN!!