Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A merged series should incorporate the best of both, right? Most of this year has been IRL priority with regards to teams, tracks, and cars. If down the road some of what CC had are integrated, the series has the potential to improve. I liked the standing starts last year and they were devoid of accidents.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pits4me
    Standing starts, option tires and dedicated passing lanes all lead to better excitement on non-oval circuits. Too bad push-to-pass is off the table.
    Exactly. Short of having multiple chassis, engine, and tire manufacturers, option tires and P2P can accentuate some differences among the near-spec cars...if done right.

Standing starts just make sense on a roadcourse, where well-executed and fair rolling starts are nearly impossible.

The passing lane is an interesting idea, but I'm not completely sold on that.
    Domm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDomm
    The passing lane is an interesting idea, but I'm not completely sold on that.
    It completely transformed San Jose.

Not so much a "passing lane" as "pick your lane and stick to it. Definitely led to a lot more passing.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Miatanut
    It completely transformed San Jose.

Not so much a "passing lane" as "pick your lane and stick to it. Definitely led to a lot more passing.
    I like what it did too! I am so tired of watching the blocking moves that in a closed wheel series would never be tolerated by a competitor. In a closed wheel series some of those moves would get the you punted off the track. But for some reason the officials in open wheel are reluctant to enforce the rules on blocking. I think the painted line made it easier to enforce the already existing rule.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pits4me
    dedicated passing lanes all lead to better excitement on non-oval circuits.
    What an insanely stupid idea.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    IMHO standing starts and option tyres should not be part of IndyCar. These idiotic ideas didn't help Champ Car and I wish they would remove the option tyre from F1. These gimmicks were not part of CART and were only a part of Champ Car when they were trying to save a dying series. I'm saying this as a fan of CART of the 90's, not the budget version we saw in the last few years.

Rather than making the racing more artificial, I would rather see multiple engine manufacturers back and multiple chassis.
    Q: Juan, can you explain your gesture on the last lap to Michael?
    JPM: I just said ‘what happened, what were you thinking’. That’s all.
    MS: I thought you were congratulating me.
    JPM: I never do actually.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have always prefered rolling starts....Don't know why, when I first got into CART thats what made it different to F1 I guess, and drew my attention. Option tyres, just brings more statergy and gives teams more options, I don't mind if they want to let them.

Less down force might be better, and I'd love to see Turbo engines to make the series more distinct from many others. Tiny little 2 ltr engines with turbos. The noise oh the noise.
    Indy cars says bye to Sky. Yeah baby.......

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Option Tires...Ok
    Standing Starts.....YES.

But what I really want is no Yellow Flag Pit-stops!

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    The passing lane is a dreadful idea. Completely devalues passing moves. It sounds like a NASCAR gimmick, with no place in a racing series.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theugsquirrel
    The passing lane is a dreadful idea. Completely devalues passing moves. It sounds like a NASCAR gimmick, with no place in a racing series.
    As a means to clearly enforce a "do not block" rule, I think it is a GREAT idea. It seemed to work really well in San Jose.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.