Page 1 of 90 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Ireland 2009

Liked 128 Times in 34 Posts

Ireland 2009

Hello,

we're planning our next rally trip at the moment - Ireland 2009.
    Can anyone give me some useful information on the Ireland WRC rally?
    I've been to Germany, Portugal, Sardinia and Greece till now.
    Any cheap guesthouses?
    What about the Park&Ride? How was it in 2007?
    How's the access to the stages?
    Are there many security marshals?

Regards,
    Patrik
    http://patrik-pangerl.com
    World Rally Photography since 2005

Liked 128 Times in 34 Posts
    No one has been to Ireland in 2007?
    http://patrik-pangerl.com
    World Rally Photography since 2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hype
    Hello,

we're planning our next rally trip at the moment - Ireland 2009.
    Can anyone give me some useful information on the Ireland WRC rally?
    I've been to Germany, Portugal, Sardinia and Greece till now.
    Any cheap guesthouses?
    What about the Park&Ride? How was it in 2007?
    How's the access to the stages?
    Are there many security marshals?

Regards,
    Patrik

I went to Ireland 07, it was quite good, I didnt use the park and ride, but I'm told it was a disaster, particularly after the stages ended. Dont be expecting WRC Germany levels with it!
    Stage access is alright but check out some of the video footage, Ireland is full of thorn hedges... Its worth doing a bit of a recce to find your spots, there are some great ones if you make the effort.
    I thought the marshals were excellent, and found them to be very reasonable and friendly,if they are any bother forget how to speak english, the reverse works well for me in Germany:-)
    Remember it rains lots in ireland, and a lot of the best viewing is higher up the hills on moorland, expect to get very cold and wet

I'm old school and prefer to sleep in the car close to the stage, also has the advantage of being somewhere warm and dry between double use stages! I'd recommend spending your B+B money on a gas stove and a frying pan and staying at the stages.
    Last year I watched all cars on SS3, then approx 40 on the rerun(ss6) and had no bother getting in early in a good spot for SS9
    Deep down I'm a sound bloke!

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    I unfortunately was a victim of the Rally Ireland 2007 Park & Ride fiasco on the Lough Gill stage.

Prices were not published in the programme, or sign posted, and seemed to vary on the day. Some were charged €20, some less, some more! Wouldn't issue tickets, so anyone could hop on the bus on the way back. When asked about this, bus driver response was 'Doh!'.

Probably ques up half an hour or so, to get on at the start. Ques coming back were out of control. Major que jumping. Total chaos. Many children crying, raging mothers ringing local radio stations, etc...very sad sight. Nearly got run over by a bus, which should have picked me up. Took three hours or more to get a bus back. Many gave up and walked about 8km back. Never again. RI never apologised for this mess.

Beware programme distribution was poor last time, except for in Sligo. Some shops near the stages that stayed open 24hr for the rally, couldn't get programmes to sell!

Not worth paying to go into service area, unless you never saw a service in your life. Find a regroup or stage start.

Might be very cold sleeping in a car. Strong chance of freezing, black ice and maybe snow...

The Galway Rally is on two weeks before, probably have a better entry and no FIA bs
    'Heroes don't die, they just move on to the next stage.' CMac Forever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I went and loved it.

Sligo is a chaos place during the rally so I wouldn't go unless it is a must for you to visit the service area.

Lots of friendly and happy-to-help marshalls, that was great I think.

The weather was changeable, as you would expect in Ireland, and it went from decent to freezing cold in a couple hours.

I can't tell about the park and ride thing but I ended up walking for 5 miles rather than waiting for 30 min in queue, for the very expensive service.
    So arrive to the stages with enough time to walk.

We slept in a lovely rented place near Sligo which wasn't expensive at all, can't remember the details now, but we were 7 people and there were no complaints.
    There WAS nothing like rallying, Superrally is a joke!

LW Master!!!:champion:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I thought it was great last year.. but i had a media pass so drove into the stages... but the locations i was at there was loads of spectators but local farmers had opened there fields for a small fee you could park in the field...

i drove over 1000 miles last time and was only got stuck in traffic once.. it just takes a bit of planning to miss the traffic ( and a road book )

i wouldent stay in sligo... stay in bundoren about 30 mins up the road from sligo but more closer to the stages.. loads of holiday homes so you should be able to find one..

when your at the rally buy your petrol in the republic of ireland and not the north as its about 20 cent a litre dearer...

if you want i would first get to dublin and then get a plane to sligo from there... alot less hasstle and you will be able to get a rent a car in sligo airport.. instead of trying to get around dublin to get to sligo...

last year someone made a google maps with all the stages... its all about pre planning..
    hope this helps

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    route looks interesting. One of the longest rallies in the last few years but still pretty short considering that rallies can be up to 400 km next year.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    just for your info only 1 car dident leave the road during last years rally.... that of corse was loab

i dont think it was a fun weekend for most

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rally Guide 1 - just published
    http://www.rallyireland.org/rally-guide-1