Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Petter, Mikko, Sordo, and Atko to name a few.... they all had up-and-down first year in the works seat regardless of how much experience they had prior to driving a works machine. So I would say give Latvala a time. The fact that he won a event on his first year as works driver makes him pretty good compared to the names above.
    Waiting for Subaru to come back to be :champion:

Liked 168 Times in 128 Posts
    Well, nobody knows what M. Wilson's plans/expectations about JML were, so we can't really answer this question. If he was planning to develop JML in long term, then it was the right decision, otherwise no. If JML gets replaced for Catalunya and Corsica, that will be an indication his boss was hoping for better, but I don't think that's the case.

Liked 47 Times in 29 Posts
    JML delivered very promising performances on either gravel or tarmac rallies in 2007. Grönholm left and one seat was free. So it was a logical decision to pick Latvala. Wilson was right.

I don't see yet any dramatic event which would question JML's position in the M1 team, certainly not a couple² of mistakes required by the rally process.
    Markku Alén, 1978 World Champion

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by koko0703
    Petter, Mikko, Sordo, and Atko to name a few.... they all had up-and-down first year in the works seat regardless of how much experience they had prior to driving a works machine. So I would say give Latvala a time. The fact that he won a event on his first year as works driver makes him pretty good compared to the names above.
    But you have to consider how good the title-contending 2008 Focus is, compared to the machinery the above drivers learned their WRC craft with.

No one is doubting JML's talent but it is fair to say he has disappointed this year given the opportunity he has been given. This would all be a major problem if he wasn't damn fast.

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    I think Ford went "Why not?" when they picked Latvala. Because if they chose a slower, more consistent driver from the bunch they had to choose from, they would more or less be where they are now. Except without a talent they can cultivate into a World Rally Champion.

Although personally I was expecting a few less crashes.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    He's got the pace, but not the consistency. I think Malcom knew that over time, Latvala will improve on consistency. He's only young at the time being, he is still learning when it's the right time to be going flat out on the edge, and just making sure you finish the stage.

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
    He's got the pace, but not the consistency. I think Malcom knew that over time, Latvala will improve on consistency. He's only young at the time being, he is still learning when it's the right time to be going flat out on the edge, and just making sure you finish the stage.
    Which is better than the other way round - consistent but no pace - like Matt. Consistency comes with experience - if you haven't got pace you can't suddenly get it.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    Which is better than the other way round - consistent but no pace - like Matt. Consistency comes with experience - if you haven't got pace you can't suddenly get it.
    Suddenly... or never.
    Another Flying Finn

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC

Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
    Some people here forget that Latvala has almost the same experience in WRC than Hirvonen.