Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Manager
    Liked 73 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmicpanda
    Why only Finland and GB and not Monte? I think it's because Ford know that they can't win it again.
    Because Monte don't want to be every year in the calendar, where as Finland and GB wants.
    There are two rules for success
    1. Never tell everything you know.

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJippo
    Because Monte don't want to be every year in the calendar, where as Finland and GB wants.
    Monte want to get to run an 'old style' Rally. Finland because they're big fans of the sport, while for GB it's a 'cash cow'.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 304 Times in 214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    While I couldn't be 100% sure, I think the WRC program is run by Ford of Europe.
    Anyway, I couldn't blame Ford if they did pull out. It might be the straw that breaks the camels back. Really drastic action is needed to sort the WRC out. The last meeting was in June - when a global promoter was agreed. Since then nothing.
    If I was in charge of a Manufacturer, then I'd pull the team out - the WRC is a dead duck. I am probably wrong, but apart from Finland, is there any other country interested?

What international motorsport would Ford enter instead of WRC ???

Back in F1 ?? Endurance racing ??? Gt championships ?? American motorsports only ?? Stay in rally but in IRC(developping an S2000) ???

Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom206wrc
    What international motorsport would Ford enter instead of WRC ???

Back in F1 ?? Endurance racing ??? Gt championships ?? American motorsports only ?? Stay in rally but in IRC(developping an S2000) ???
    There's no rule that says Ford have to do any motorsports.

They can't really afford it anyway looking at their trading figures on a global basis.

MJW
    Ford actually withrew from rallying at the end 1979 and did not return at the top level untill 1985/6 with RS200.
    Also, quite worryingly someone in the manufacturing side of the motor industry told me that with all this environmental and safety driven world of ours that manufacturers prefer to attach themselves to "lifestyle sports" yachting, horse jumping, golf, tennis etc. rather than promote their motorsport success. Motorsport success can be viewed negatively re. promoting speed / using resources etc. thats why we need the bulls**t about green fuel, eco tyres etc in motorsport.

Liked 657 Times in 352 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MJW
    Ford actually withrew from rallying at the end 1979 and did not return at the top level untill 1985/6 with RS200.
    True but their intention was to be back much earlier with RS1700T. Luckily for them, when Stuart Turner returned to head Ford's rallying activities he recognized that they were building another Lancia 037 instead of a winner and canned it. Which led to three years worth of delays.

Quote Originally Posted by MJW
    Motorsport success can be viewed negatively re. promoting speed / using resources etc. thats why we need the bulls**t about green fuel, eco tyres etc in motorsport.
    I do not see these developments negative at all. Motorsport cannot stay disconnected from the real world and for example environmental issues have been discussed forcefully since 1980s. WRC has stayed viable so long because organisers have listened to concerns of local inhabitants, green movement, legislators and population in general.

MJW
    Quote Originally Posted by jonkka
    I do not see these developments negative at all. Motorsport cannot stay disconnected from the real world and for example environmental issues have been discussed forcefully since 1980s. WRC has stayed viable so long because organisers have listened to concerns of local inhabitants, green movement, legislators and population in general.
    Have you noticed that Audi and the LeMans TDI & Shell V Power Diesel successes seem to be the only motorsport winning based promotions recently. What I meant to say these adverts are publicising the economy and cleanliness of the fuel.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I think Citroen and Ford leaving would be a great thing. It would kill the WRC off totally. Only then will the FIA understand the mistakes that have been made and give the manufacturers a championship that is workable and good for spectators to watch. I'm praying Ford and Citroen leave. Would be a pity for the guys only just getting into the WRC but good for the sport in the long term.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJippo
    And you think it helps that manufactures each have their own agenda?
    No I don't, but the FIA has a monopoly and that always leads to stagnation and corruption. I was excited when I first heard about the IRC and thought the competition between them woud motivate the WRC to better promote itself and try to attract more manufacturers into the sport. Once again the FIA proved they had no interest in the WRC and continued to focus on promoting other formulas of racing and treating the WRC as if it was inferior.
    We had the same problem here in the United States with the SCCA (Now Rally America), the upper management in the association had their own personal agenda and had no interest in Rally or its potential to grow in the U.S. This eventually led to the SCCA droping Rally entirely and the birth of Rally America. RA wasn't much different because they had a monopoly and no motivation to change rally in the US. Then NASA (National Auto Sport Association) and the USRC (United States Rally Championship) steped up and and started new Rallies in new places unreached by the SCCA and RA. Now wile being very slow because the majority of Americans don't even know what Rally Racing is, the sport is now growing.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonkka