Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pits4me
    I don't think the IRL/ICS can afford to lose Surfers. The Aussies will not let a "schtick" bully them over. I see a rival OW replacing ICS there.
    The IRL can do without Surfers. They would rather not even go there this year.

I agree, a rival OW will replace it. No problem. Any world class series outside of F1 would be stupid not to take advantage of a good thing there!

Surfers is popular enough it represents a threat to Indy. We can't have that!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Miatanut

Sad
    :champion:car Continuing since 1909
    http://www.youtube.com/user/champcar4ever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Miatanut
    I've heard it's not the IRL's decision to make. Honda has been enjoying increased sales in Australia for a few years now. The sole engine supplier usually gets what they want. Same goes with Bridgestone/Firestone.
    LBGP: The Sound - The Spectacle. Racin' at its finest.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've heard it's not the IRL's decision to make. Honda has been enjoying increased sales in Australia for a few years now. The sole engine supplier usually gets what they want. Same goes with Bridgestone/Firestone.
    This is Tony we're talking about here!

He's got all the major auto manufacturers attending his conference on the new engine formula and itching to compete in his league, right? What does he need Honda for anymore, now that he's the only game in town?

Not saying this is all true, just how things look to Tony.

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drewdawg727
    Pointless in my opinion...all the fans for the most part are not gonna care to watch it because the points race is over, and the race is just like any normal go-kart race of sort.
    If fans dont care to watch an IRL event because the pure spectacle of the motor racing cannot engage the audience when it is seperate from a championship, you know it's in big trouble.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I hope you are right and Honda is ready to foot the bill and split the event with Surfers. I just wish Honda would also stand up and tell the FIA to bit it and hold the races when they want, not when Bernie feels it's ok. Champcar may have been a threat to F1 in Asia, I can't see that as a problem for the Indycars. Maybe even return the Honda to the Honda Indy as I seem to recall it wasa titled for several years.
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    a couple of points that i would like to add:

1. there is NO WAY that they will move the date to Sept. The Bathurst 1000 v8 race is early Oct, and they will not put the street rare 2 weeks before the greatest touring car race in the world. Also, the weather could be an issue in Sept - its dodgy enough in October

2. Oct 21 is Labour weekend in New Zealand, therefore it is very easy for kiwis to travel over to Australia for the race. Tourism is the main industry on the gold coast.

3. I firmly beleive that the IRL will race there in 2009, as a non points race (as in this year). it will be a one race dash for cash. I beleive that Honda will insist on the this.

4. I can't say that I have been to the USA to watch indy car racing, but I have been to the gold coast twice and from my experience - it would take some beating. the whole weekend is fantastic

those are just my thoughts....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SUBARUTEAM
    a couple of points that i would like to add:

1. there is NO WAY that they will move the date to Sept. The Bathurst 1000 v8 race is early Oct, and they will not put the street rare 2 weeks before the greatest touring car race in the world. Also, the weather could be an issue in Sept - its dodgy enough in October

2. Oct 21 is Labour weekend in New Zealand, therefore it is very easy for kiwis to travel over to Australia for the race. Tourism is the main industry on the gold coast.

3. I firmly beleive that the IRL will race there in 2009, as a non points race (as in this year). it will be a one race dash for cash. I beleive that Honda will insist on the this.

4. I can't say that I have been to the USA to watch indy car racing, but I have been to the gold coast twice and from my experience - it would take some beating. the whole weekend is fantastic

those are just my thoughts....
    That would actually be kind of cool if they just made it a post-season knockout style exhibition for a large sum of cash. Make it like a series of 3 races and the last 7 finishers of the first two races get knocked out and then the final race with whoever is left would be for the money kind of like the NASCAR all-star event.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Remember the Hawaiian GP? I don't see the ICS surviving Surfers as a non-points event.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Anyone who has been to a major sporting event in Australia will testify that the Ozzies know how to put on a show, regardless of what the event is - for the series to not go to Surfers would be an absolute tragedy, especially since it is combined with the V8's. Barring Indianapolis (and only for its tradition and the magnitude of the thing) the Gold Coast race is 2nd to none. Its a fantastic weekend, the place just goes off for 3 straight days and if any of you north of the equator people havent been - get there before some pencil pusher makes the crazy decision to can the race ! The two Aussies and the Kiwi have stirred up so much interest and enthusiasm down this part of the world that this years race will be a must-see event - crowds will be huge - points or no points !
    Go the ALL BLACKS !