Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

MotoGP - Brno 2008

Only 6 days until resumption of hostilities!

Brno has been resurfaced - meaning much of the past data for electronics and tyres has gone out the window. Brno is one of those circuits where faster laptimes each year are not a given - it's a very fast and demanding circuit, at which a rider/bike combo needs to be in peak form to gain even 0.01 in a lap.

Hopefully the following data is correct, the internet is a minefield (and the MotoGP site is useless):

Lap record (Qualifying) : 1'56.191 (Rossi)
    Lap record (2006 race): 1'58.157 (Capirossi)
    Fastest lap 2007 race : 1'58.301 (Stoner)

Given that this track is largely about speed, with absolute handling a distant second, it's hard to go past Stoner for pole and victory. I hope Rossi can put up a fight, both for a good championship and also to show that Stoner can withstand the pressure. In 2006 Stoner did a 1'58.1 in post-race testing on the LCR customer Honda, equaling Capirossi's new lap record set during that race, so he certainly has pace at this circuit. Yamaha for their part have reportedly been chasing power during the break, so here's to success on their part.

250cc resumes at Brno after missing the US round - Simoncelli leads the title chase but Kallio has good form at Brno and may be hard to beat.

In the 125s, Mike De Meglio is looking pretty good.
    Phantom... Bike Who Parks

"It's a tour, not a race... but don't get in my way while I'm touring!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I just had a look at the World Superbike times from Brno this year.

Pole position: 1'58.345 (Troy Bayliss)
    [2007 Pole]: 1'59.603 (Noriyuki Haga)

Fastest lap (race 1): 2'00.298 (Troy Bayliss)
    Fastest lap (race 2): 1'59.979 (Michel Fabrizio)

So the Ducatis had the ultimate lap times this year, even though they're a bit slower than the Suzuki for top speed. And the World Supers picked up more than a second in qualifying over last year.

Should be interesting to see how fast the MotoGP machines go round this weekend.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Nicky Hayden is out of the Czech Republic Grand Prix at after he injured himself taking part in X Games during the break.
    I got my motorcycle jacket, but I'm walking all the time...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's common practice in US motorsport for participants to attempt various events to get themselves ready. Hayden is no different, having participated in GNCC dirt track races and in this case, the Supermoto. The Supermoto at X Games is regarded as a major event because it is an event owned by The Walt Disney Company (ESPN) with national broadcasts -- the national broadcast is on network television, which gave it priority.

Ironically, it might have been a good way for Hayden to test equipment and even ideas because he has been critical of traction control because of how it hurts riders who began their racing on dirt tracks where they had to learn bike control and sliding -- speedway motorcycle racing.
    In Christ,
    Bobby

Deuteronomy 31:6-8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    is there going to be a replacement driver for the Repsol Honda Team....???
    Kimi :beer: Motorcycle racing :up:
    Look How Bad you Are :cheese:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harsha
    I can't recall Repsol Honda ever having put a fill-in rider on one of their bikes? Does anyone know?

If they did get someone, Barros could be a candidate.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would loove Barros to ride the Repsol another time, he's an amazing rider..

BTW, yamaha announced that Rossi will not use anything new on this weekend's GP.. What have they been doing at Yamaha in this last period, sleeping or something?
    RIP Marco Simoncelli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I did some research - teams can get away with a rider missing one race, but if the rider is to miss two races then a substitute rider must be placed on the bike for at least one of the two races.

As for the M1, I read that Yamaha have more power/higher rpms in a new motor for Rossi and Lorenzo (who seems to be back to reasonable fitness), and Toseland and Edwards will get the 'old' motor which is still more powerful than what they've been using. Which bodes well for Edwards who's done bloody well this year on a relatively underpowered machine!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Real shame for Hayden to miss at a track he goes ok at. Be interesting to see how much his teammate has recovered from his injuries, hopefully Dani is very competitive.
    I'm really looking forward to this race. I really hope to see a battle like at Laguna only this time Casey on the dealing out end to tighten the championship further and put Rossi under pressure to see how he can respond.
    Also, it will be interesting to see if CV can maintain his form and prove if Zook have made genuine inroads or if his past performances were more down to conditions.
    Then there is the 250 title race between Simoncelli and Kallio with Bautista looking to upset the applecart should the other 2 falter.
    Someone in the 125 pack needs to start winning regularly to peg the Flying Frenchman in Mike di Meglio back from building on his title lead. Like always, I'm sure they'll put on an epic show.
    Should be a ripper.
    Get off my lawn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harsha

Are you available then...for the Repsol team that is...