Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Another can of worms has been opened and I've decided to give my contribution too.

We actually don't know, how damaged the car was after hitting the wall, but after rejoining the track it looked at least drivable and it was a logical decision to defend position.

I'd say the incident was 50-50. If MS's car was really damaged, then why on earth did Hill need to be impatient and rush? Wait for a few more corners and see, how MS's car behaves, then decide, how to attack during the rest of the race. There were a lot of laps still to go.

I'd say it was lack of quick thinking and situation evaluation from Hill's part, while Schumacher adapted to the sudden situation quicker and took the maximum of it.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfby7GaMXmo

And at the end, Hill was gracious in defeat and still is today.
    Damon did indeed take it very well publicly which is to his eternal credit.

Even in private, he just shrugged it off as if to say "we all know what happened and it won't change anything".

Quote Originally Posted by PolePosition_1
    Your posts over last few days do show that great minds do indeed think alike lol.

This incident also impacted me big time. I always supported Damon, but that incident reinforced it, and became a huge Damon fan - he acted like a true gentleman with regards to this incident.

And I became a so called "anti-schumacher" from that day onwards - though like to think I can be unbiased.

I then went on to support Montoya because of that move he made on Schumacher in Brazil 2001.

And an Alonso fan from when he beat Schumacher in an inferior car.
    I have always admired Schumachers ability and that's what made it all the harder.

He had the ability to be the greatest ever but because of things like this, will always be tainted in my opinion.

Monty was great to watch. A real Bar Room slugger who didn't give a sh*t about who's toes he stood on. Could you imagine him and Alonso as team mates

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    Another can of worms has been opened and I've decided to give my contribution too.

We actually don't know, how damaged the car was after hitting the wall, but after rejoining the track it looked at least drivable and it was a logical decision to defend position.

I'd say the incident was 50-50. If MS's car was really damaged, then why on earth did Hill need to be impatient and rush? Wait for a few more corners and see, how MS's car behaves, then decide, how to attack during the rest of the race. There were a lot of laps still to go.

I'd say it was lack of quick thinking and situation evaluation from Hill's part, while Schumacher adapted to the sudden situation quicker and took the maximum of it.
    That's a very valid point. With hindsight, knowing as we do now that Schumys car was damaged, it would have been better to wait.

However, when a driver goes off and you see a chance to get past, what driver wouldn't have a go at him?

I'm also pretty sure that Schumacher claimed he had no steering. In that case, how did he push Hill over to the left first of all and when Hill changed to the inside line, steer to the right to crash into him?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQC_LQI1Aiw

But, it's ancient history now and probably better to take Damons lead and let it go.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    And I can garantuee you I WOULD NOT have done exactly what he did.
    That makes you a quitter in my book. Pretty sure there's team managers out there who would say the same thing.

Which DC/Button clash are you refering to? They've had a few, but I don't remember any where one had damaged his car and still defended.
    Bahrain this year. OK neither car was damaged previously but both fighting for same piece of tarmac.

And finally, you say "That incident was through the sequence of left-right 90degree corners, doubly hard to predict where your opponent is compared to the back straight of Jerez where Schumi was definitely was in the wrong."

Are you claiming Schumacher didn't know Damon was on the inside of him?
    What Murray Walker referred to is that there's a single racing line through those corners ie. outside, cut into apex, plus the concrete walls on the inside of corners are like blind spots and Damon came from nowhere.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 555-04Q2
    1. The car was not illegal.
    2. Hill drove into Michael. Watch the replay.
    1: Ok, my bad, car was fully legal when racing, it had illegal parts on it such as traction control, which was fully functional, but they never used it.....

2: Hill was in the inside, Schumacher kept on racing line despite knowing Hill was on inside and had a damaged car.

Make that what you want, but to me thats pretty unsporting attitude to take. I've messed up, damaged my car, may as well take out my opponent.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens

If MS's car was really damaged, then why on earth did Hill need to be impatient and rush? Wait for a few more corners and see, how MS's car behaves, then decide, how to attack during the rest of the race. There were a lot of laps still to go.

Because Damon Hill isn't a mind reader and doesn't know. He sees a slow moving Bennetton and makes the most of an opportunity.

How people can actually compliment Schumacher on his fast thinking on this matter.....well I dunno, we obviously have different values.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That makes you a quitter in my book. Pretty sure there's team managers out there who would say the same thing.

Bahrain this year. OK neither car was damaged previously but both fighting for same piece of tarmac.

What Murray Walker referred to is that there's a single racing line through those corners ie. outside, cut into apex, plus the concrete walls on the inside of corners are like blind spots and Damon came from nowhere.
    In my books, it makes me sporting and honest. What can I say, I wouldn't want to win a title by taking out my opponent unfairly.

Yeah, niether car was damaged....so whats point in even comparing them?

And yeah, Hill was previously 4 odd seconds behind. Yet comes from nowhere because of the speed difference. What Hill meant to do? Come to a standstill and drive behind MS, or go for the inside? Common sense would suggest go for inside.

I honestly cannot understand how people can honestly say MS was in the right on this subject.

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    And yeah, Hill was previously 4 odd seconds behind. Yet comes from nowhere because of the speed difference. What Hill meant to do? Come to a standstill and drive behind MS, or go for the inside? Common sense would suggest go for inside.
    IIRC Hill did not see MS go off track and hit the wall. He came around the corner, saw a slow moving Benetton, felt there was an opportunity and went for a gap. Rather like Jerez MS realised (IMHO) that all was lost (due to the damaged Benetton) and turned in on Hill.

In hindsight, had Hill known, he would have waited and would easily have passed the stricken Benetton, but he didn't know, and as far as he was concerned this was his chance to win the race and the title.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

In my books, it makes me sporting and honest. What can I say, I wouldn't want to win a title by taking out my opponent unfairly.
    Then you don't understand how an ultra competitive, driven-to-win, mind works.

Motor racing is a ruthless, cut-throat business and nice guys don't win. That news shouldn't be shocking to anyone.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm sorry Wedge but you can't get away with that one

Hill was a few seconds behind him, he knew that.

MS drove left across the track and changed to the righ when Hill did mirroring his move.