• Mansell

4 9.09%
  • Prost

9 20.45%
  • Senna

31 70.45%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Senna for me, but only just over Prost. They were two very different drivers who achieved similar results. Senna was absorbed by racing, totally committed and blindingly quick.

Prost never seemed that quick, and yet he clearly was. In comparison with Senna he showed little emotion, rarely seemed rattled, and simply got on with the job of winning races and championships.

Competing against eachother brought out the best in both, even more so as we got to see them race the same car in the same team for two years.

IMHO Mansell does not belong in the same company as these two. Yes he could be exciting to watch at times, and yes he could be quick when everything was going his way, but in the same car he wouldn't have been able to live with Prost or Senna over a season.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    Senna for me, but only just over Prost. They were two very different drivers who achieved similar results. Senna was absorbed by racing, totally committed and blindingly quick.

Prost never seemed that quick, and yet he clearly was. In comparison with Senna he showed little emotion, rarely seemed rattled, and simply got on with the job of winning races and championships.

Competing against eachother brought out the best in both, even more so as we got to see them race the same car in the same team for two years.

IMHO Mansell does not belong in the same company as these two. Yes he could be exciting to watch at times, and yes he could be quick when everything was going his way, but in the same car he wouldn't have been able to live with Prost or Senna over a season.
    Agree 100%
    Michael Schumacher has not won 7 world championships by driving like a christian motorist, David Coulthard on the other hand...... - J. Clarkson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Senna was fast and he had a good personality

Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1

If you had put Alain above Senna, I'd agree 100%.

I know that there are lies, damn lies and then there are statistics, but.....

My problem with Senna's statistics is a simple one but one that I never hear anyone else mention. Twice as many poles as wins, or thereabouts. Alain's stats are pretty much the exact opposite.

That, my dear boys, means Alain has much better stats from race day....and race day is when it matters.

Quote Originally Posted by tamburello
    That, my dear boys, means Alain has much better stats from race day....and race day is when it matters.
    Very true. Senna "only just" edges it for me over Prost largely because for the fans in the stands I think he was more exciting to watch. I have the feeling that Prost's success was founded on preparation (getting the car set up to win the race as you point out) rather than outright speed. I suspect he was similar to Stewart in that sense, and I don't see Stewart as a 'spectacular' driver.

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Particularly during the turbo years, Prost was a master at judging things like tyre wear, fuel consumption and general set-up, and was great at preserving his car. His strength was "finding a way to win". Senna combined many of these attributes with his passion,ambition and outright pace. This was what made him such a unique talent.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No great debate from me; from the minute I saw him at a wind and rain swept Brands Hatch in the early 80s, the shy, retiring and barely English speaking Ayrton Senna Da Silva was always going to be one of the sport's greats; even my Altzheimer's afflicted Dad remembers the day I came home and told him I'd witnessed possibly the best driver I'd ever seen don helmet and overalls.

He was never my favourite person, and his tactics were sometimes questionable, but in an age where column inches meant as much as track performance, Senna was a tour de force with no equal; I will admit Prost comes a close second, but Mansell wasn't fit to tie Senna's shoelaces.
    \"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting\" - Steve McQueen

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tamburello
    My problem with Senna's statistics is a simple one but one that I never hear anyone else mention. Twice as many poles as wins, or thereabouts. Alain's stats are pretty much the exact opposite.

What sort of logic is that?

Senna won 25.5 % of the races he started, Prost won 25.9 %. "Much better stats from race day"?

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    In case you're wondering, Mansell won 16.6 % of his races..

Senna:
    Poles - 65 (40.4%)
    Wins - 41 (25.5%)
    Podiums - 80 - (49.7%)
    Fastest Laps - 19 (11.8%)

Prost:
    Poles - 33 (16.6%)
    Wins - 51 (25.6%)
    Podiums - 106 (53.3%)
    Fastest Laps - 41 (20.6%)

Mansell:
    Poles - 32 (17.1%)
    Wins - 31 (16.6%)
    Podiums - 59 (31.6%)
    Fastest Laps - 30 (16%)

For someone who didn't look very fast Prost certainly set a lot of fastest laps, which supports tamburello's point that Prost got it right on raceday.