Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casey Mears?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Casey Mears?

He's shopping for a ride and has made it clear that he's not just looking at NASCAR. That a good seat in Indy Car would definitely be an option.

Obviously it's most likely he'll stay in NASCAR, but this is another sign the tide has turned. The exodus has stopped, and Indy Car seats are becoming more attractive.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by ZzZzZz
    He's shopping for a ride and has made it clear that he's not just looking at NASCAR. That a good seat in Indy Car would definitely be an option.

Obviously it's most likely he'll stay in NASCAR, but this is another sign the tide has turned. The exodus has stopped, and Indy Car seats are becoming more attractive.
    I doubt he is seriously looking at a IC ride. He is most likely using it as leverage.
    The Other Side - "2011 Silly Season Update" Dec 17/2010
    Bookmark Us!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chamoo
    I doubt he is seriously looking at a IC ride. He is most likely using it as leverage.

Maybe so, but even that is an indication that the tide has turned somewhat, don't you think? I mean a year ago, who would have taken seriously any thought that a NASCAR driver threatening to go to the IRL as a way to leverage a ride in NASCAR?

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    Maybe so, but even that is an indication that the tide has turned somewhat, don't you think? I mean a year ago, who would have taken seriously any thought that a NASCAR driver threatening to go to the IRL as a way to leverage a ride in NASCAR?

Gary
    A few years ago, what would he have told the NASCAR team owner? "i'll go to the open wheel series and BUY a ride if you don't pay me what i'm worth!"
    Don't take life seriously; you'll never get out of it alive!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    He didn't impress me in Lights or his limited Champ Car appearances.
    \"If you have a problem with what I\'m doing, talk to me, get it all out, then shut up.\" - Juan Pablo Montoya
    \"I tell ya, if my name was \'Juan Pablo Montoya,\' everyone would just kiss my ass!\" - David Letterman
    \"That was a mugging.\" - Tommy Kendall \"You can\'t spell \'fiasco\' without the FIA.\" Those are shark gills, not shark fins! Get it right!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic
    He didn't impress me in Lights or his limited Champ Car appearances.
    His first run in CART with Rahal Racing was impressive finishing 4th in 2000. His other efforts in the IRL was with Galles and that team was junk since 1993 in CART. 2001 he replaced Zanardi at Nunn Racing and that was another team that was junk but still finished 8th at Fontana. If he lands in a good team I think he will be good out there but the chemistry need to be right.
    The Only True Triple Crown Winner-- Al Unser Sr. 1978- Indy 500, Pocono 500, Ontario 500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I am not sure it is "leverage" for NASCAR - whom is he levering?? I think it is a realistic assessment that his options in NASCAR are limited and that the IRL is a more viable option than it used to be....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris R
    I am not sure it is "leverage" for NASCAR - whom is he levering?? I think it is a realistic assessment that his options in NASCAR are limited and that the IRL is a more viable option than it used to be....
    He is probably in discussions with a Nascab team, but trying to get some extra money out of them to stop him from going elsewhere.

I am not saying all this to be negative, I just don't believe he would be seriously looking at an ICS ride. Also, I would like a link to the story where he says he would be interested in driving anything, not just tin tops.
    The Other Side - "2011 Silly Season Update" Dec 17/2010
    Bookmark Us!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think this might be the start of a turning point. Drivers are starting to realize that that Tony Stewart's quick transition was the exception rather than the rule. People who have won things in the open wheel ranks like A.J., Hornish, Franchitti, J.V., etc come over, feel like they know everything and end up running at the back.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chamoo
    He is probably in discussions with a Nascab team, but trying to get some extra money out of them to stop him from going elsewhere.

I am not saying all this to be negative, I just don't believe he would be seriously looking at an ICS ride. Also, I would like a link to the story where he says he would be interested in driving anything, not just tin tops.
    I have to agree with your sentiment as rudely put as it is. However, if he doesn't get on with a top flight team, I could see him coming back to open wheel.