Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Phillip Island 2008

Race day at Australian GP offering more on track action than before

Sunday, 5 October is shaping up as “Sensational Sunday” at the 2008 Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix with more on-track action than ever before.

For the first time in the event’s history, three national support races will be held on Sunday.

Australian Superbikes competitors, for the first time, will vie for supremacy in two 8-lap races, while the Australian Supersport riders will also make their Sunday debut and battle it out in a 6-lap contest at the majestic Phillip Island circuit.

Joining the present crop of the country’s best domestic road racers on Sensational Sunday will be the two finest motorcycle riders this country has ever produced, as well as a globally respected US import, long admired by local fans. Former world champions Mick Doohan and Wayne Gardner will be joined by American ace Randy Mamola. “The Legends of MotoGP” will take to the track in a series of demonstration laps of the 4.4km track.

Adding to the action-packed schedule will be another first at an Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix - a special demonstration of junior motorcycle racers. A total of 24 young riders aged 9 - 16 from the development programmes of Honda and Metrakit will give an expected bumper crowd a glimpse of tomorrow’s superstars.

To top off this mega line-up, the world’s quickest men on two wheels will battle it out in the MotoGP class of the 2008 Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix.

Be there as reigning MotoGP World Champion Casey Stoner continues his relentless pursuit of a second successive crown. Our two other Aussie hopefuls - Chris Vermeulen and Anthony West – will also be there, giving it their all as they take on the world’s best.

Joining them on the starting grid will be the biggest names in MotoGP. Make sure you’re trackside to witness the doctor, Valentino Rossi, and the Spanish young guns, Jorge Lorenzo and Dani Pedrosa, go head-to-head with our local heroes at speeds in excess of 320 kilometres per hour.

Watch the stars of tomorrow battle it out in both the 250cc and 125cc Australian Grands Prix, where Kallio, Simoncelli, Bautista and Pasini are already making names for themselves.

The mammoth programme has been made possible due to local daylight savings starting on Sunday, 5 October. This will see all three Grand Prix races commencing one hour later than usual, with track activity finishing up one hour later than in 2007. The last race of the day – the MotoGP class Grand Prix – will kick off at 4:00pm and should wrap up around 4:45pm.

With tickets selling fast, Drew Ward, CEO of the Australian Grand Prix Corporation, is urging fans to book now.

“We’re coming off the back of a year that welcomed home an Australian world champion and saw an Australian win on home soil for the first time since 1998,” said Mr Ward.

“The possibility of a showdown between Stoner and Rossi, together with our huge line-up of on-track racing and demonstrations on Sensational Sunday, 5 October, is proving to be a very popular offer. I encourage anyone who wants to see the world’s finest motorcycle racing right here in Australia to get their tickets now to avoid disappointment.”

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Good stuff Roby44,

I'd love to be there, but I am doing a trackday at PI in November (taking in the Snowy Ride along the way), and two trips to PI from Queensland in 4 weeks is a bit more than the budget and family can handle! I haven't been to a PI GP since 1999!!!
    Phantom... Bike Who Parks

"It's a tour, not a race... but don't get in my way while I'm touring!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I will take extra photos for you then.