Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pits4me
    F-1 showcases technology at mega-dollar budgets. US based open wheel has been dumbed down considerably. The surviving series is convinced fans want to see an emphasis on ovals even though Champ Car proved attendance was much stronger on road and street circuits.
    There's a difference been dumbed down and kept at a point where the driver still has input. F1 has gotten to a point where you could put a chimp in a Ferrari and have them win the constructors championship. Maybe that's why europeans considering to be racing or something, but to us all it shows is that if you spend enough money and you qualify well you can buy a championship. The two F1 races I watched on Fox this year were abysmal. You couldn't even pass if you were significantly faster than the car in front of you.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weeflyonthewall
    Change or lose more fans and sponsors to ALMS.
    And lose the casual fan back to NASCAR. The road racing fan matters very little in the long run.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pits4me
    The surviving series is convinced fans want to see an emphasis on ovals even though Champ Car proved attendance was much stronger on road and street circuits.
    Simply not true.

First off attendance at the street festivals was always overstated to the point of being ridiculous. Secondly, many, many of the suppossed CCWS "fans" were nothing more than lookie loos checking out what was going on in their downtown. Zero share ratings proved that the festivals weren't turning these attendees into fans.

Road course attendance was also very marginal. The only time it improved was when they would run with ALMS.

CCWS attendance is an urban myth. It was never as great as some of you make it out to be. If it had been they'd still have the doors open.

Why then, should the IRL go to these types of tracks? Diversity. A balanced mix of ovals (small, medium & super speedway), road, street and airport. If attendance is not all it's cracked up to be at a couple of the tracks that's OK. The important thing is the basic product has diversity and integrity.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BenRoethig
    There's a difference been dumbed down and kept at a point where the driver still has input. F1 has gotten to a point where you could put a chimp in a Ferrari and have them win the constructors championship. Maybe that's why europeans considering to be racing or something, but to us all it shows is that if you spend enough money and you qualify well you can buy a championship. The two F1 races I watched on Fox this year were abysmal. You couldn't even pass if you were significantly faster than the car in front of you.
    I can't believe we've seen some of the same races. With traction control gone, F1 has been completely transformed for me. It's no longer true you can put a chimp in it, unless you want it swapping ends out of every corner. With the spec American open wheel has been using this year, and both series the last few years, there has been an excess of grip over power, so the chimp could do a lot better in the American formula.

As for no passing, road racing will always be different from oval racing. It's like the difference between basketball and soccer. They are both trying to get the ball into the net, but with one, it's a lot harder and a goal is something to be savored.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by downtowndeco
    Simply not true.

First off attendance at the street festivals was always overstated to the point of being ridiculous. Secondly, many, many of the suppossed CCWS "fans" were nothing more than lookie loos checking out what was going on in their downtown. Zero share ratings proved that the festivals weren't turning these attendees into fans.

Road course attendance was also very marginal. The only time it improved was when they would run with ALMS.

CCWS attendance is an urban myth. It was never as great as some of you make it out to be. If it had been they'd still have the doors open.

Why then, should the IRL go to these types of tracks? Diversity. A balanced mix of ovals (small, medium & super speedway), road, street and airport. If attendance is not all it's cracked up to be at a couple of the tracks that's OK. The important thing is the basic product has diversity and integrity.
    CCWS attendance wasn't urban myth. Just go to motorsport.com/photos. The IRL would really pack them in in some places, particularly Texas, but on Friday and Saturday (when the race is on Sunday) there are never more than an handful of fans. CCWS fans would show up on Friday and Saturday, and they would always publish the three day attendance. To most IRL fans, qualifying is not something you watch. It's just a different perspective on motor racing.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Miatanut
    I can't believe we've seen some of the same races. With traction control gone, F1 has been completely transformed for me. It's no longer true you can put a chimp in it, unless you want it swapping ends out of every corner. With the spec American open wheel has been using this year, and both series the last few years, there has been an excess of grip over power, so the chimp could do a lot better in the American formula.

As for no passing, road racing will always be different from oval racing. It's like the difference between basketball and soccer. They are both trying to get the ball into the net, but with one, it's a lot harder and a goal is something to be savored.
    I don't know of a time when there hasn't been a dominant team or two at the very top in F1. But I fully agree with you: this F1 season has been like no other in the past decade or so.

As for putting a chimp in the Ferrari F2008 and them still winning the Constructor's Title, they should put the Terror Twins (Danica and Marco) in for Kimi and Felipe. Somehow I don't think they'd win another race, much less a championship... of any sort.

This F1 season is turning out to be fantastic - and the increasing global TV ratings are there to show the fans' delight. Once the IRL figures out how to showcase the drama on the track, instead of the drama (queen) off the track, it might have a better shot of improving its situation among the general sports viewing public.

As for the IRL going to Versus, with only Indy on a broadcast over-air network, good luck with that. As our old pal Speedbump used to say, "Been there... done that!
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I rarely watch F1 but all I've heard about this season is Hamilton or a Ferrari, not sure that really speaks to a competitive field. As far as track attendance at road races, that's a pretty naive way to determine the success of a televised product. They could be playing to empty stands if it drew big tv ratings, but not the other way around. IRL ratings are marginally up this year over last, and that speaks much more to success of the series than counting at track attendance. BTW I also trust Nielsen ratings much more than some track promoter's claims.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BenRoethig
    Are you watching the same Formula 1? The chimp comment is over the top. Some circuits like Monaco are narrower than others but Hamilton and Massa still find a way to get overtake and push a car to its limits. The averga spped of 124 mph they set in Hungary during qualy was blistering. X-CC driver Timo Glock had a great run today. Seabass is holding his own. The Princess would be lost at this level.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    As for putting a chimp in the Ferrari F2008 and them still winning the Constructor's Title, they should put the Terror Twins (Danica and Marco) in for Kimi and Felipe. Somehow I don't think they'd win another race, much less a championship... of any sort.

This F1 season is turning out to be fantastic - and the increasing global TV ratings are there to show the fans' delight. Once the IRL figures out how to showcase the drama on the track, instead of the drama (queen) off the track, it might have a better shot of improving its situation among the general sports viewing public.

As for the IRL going to Versus, with only Indy on a broadcast over-air network, good luck with that. As our old pal Speedbump used to say, "Been there... done that!
    Thanks Jag. I can see Paul's big grin now. I think he'll be waiting at the pearly gates when TG gets there. Check list in hand.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Monaco
    Fox has the top rated show on network TV, American Idol. It also has the top rated drama, House. And it has tv's longest running series, The Simpsons.

So I'm certain that it's more than a 'bunch of republicans' watching Fox. (If not, then the world better get ready for a 'bunch of republicans' texting their vote for their favorite candidate.)

And I don't think many people complain about the job that Fox does for NASCAR broadcasts. I'd say they raised the bar for NASCAR broadcasting.
    Of course. That's why I said, it's a great move for NASCAR. However you look at it, great move.
    "Lawyers are the best investment"....Tom Leykis