Page 65 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rallikuvat.net - Rallypictures from the homeland of rallying

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theugsquirrel
    Except the people who appreciate drivers who have the talent to be faster than everyone else given any car.

Several people were blaming Loeb's advantage on active diffs in the WRC a few years ago. Since that was removed, he was still fastest. Coincidence? No.

FAST DRIVERS ARE FAST DRIVERS.
    That’s exactly it.

Any of us who have spent time driving in stages know that the amount of variables in any given stage is huge. Driving a rally car really fast on a stage is a very difficult thing to do, and a very easy thing to get wrong and end up off the road. Every corner is different and, even with pace notes, you are never 100% sure what is coming down the next stretch of road. How advanced your car is is only a part (admittedly a large one) of the in stage variables.

Yes the cars are MUCH easier to drive than the good old days, but when it comes down to it the car does not drive itself. The driver still needs to steer, brake, accelerate, listen to pace notes, read the road, use his judgement, take risks just as much as they ever did.
    The car is just the tool of the sport. Whether its easier/harder to drive, more/less sideways, fwd/rwd or 4wd, as long as everyone is in similar equipment its the guy behind the steering wheel that makes the difference.

I am not a fan of Loebs, I would rather see another guy winning for a change, but lets give credit where credit is due - to the guy who out drove everyone else in the same event, under the same regulations, to take the win in NORF 2008.

I'm sure the debate will rage on, but when it comes down to it it’s the record book that tells the story - and Loeb's name is all over it.

Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by duff
    That’s exactly it.

Any of us who have spent time driving in stages know that the amount of variables in any given stage is huge. Driving a rally car really fast on a stage is a very difficult thing to do, and a very easy thing to get wrong and end up off the road. Every corner is different and, even with pace notes, you are never 100% sure what is coming down the next stretch of road. How advanced your car is is only a part (admittedly a large one) of the in stage variables.

Yes the cars are MUCH easier to drive than the good old days, but when it comes down to it the car does not drive itself. The driver still needs to steer, brake, accelerate, listen to pace notes, read the road, use his judgement, take risks just as much as they ever did.
    The car is just the tool of the sport. Whether its easier/harder to drive, more/less sideways, fwd/rwd or 4wd, as long as everyone is in similar equipment its the guy behind the steering wheel that makes the difference.

I am not a fan of Loebs, I would rather see another guy winning for a change, but lets give credit where credit is due - to the guy who out drove everyone else in the same event, under the same regulations, to take the win in NORF 2008.

I'm sure the debate will rage on, but when it comes down to it it’s the record book that tells the story - and Loeb's name is all over it.
    Best post by far!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    my pics Norf 2008.
    GO Ott and Sander!

Liked 979 Times in 340 Posts
    Excellent pictures Timo!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It is nice to read all opinions-but from my point of view Loeb has made the last step to the fifth title-if no technichal problems stops C4, no way Mikko can beat Seb. Last year at this time he was 13 points behind Markus, now yust one. And on tarmac-no chance for Mikko to be in front of both Citroen's. Even more-has has also Duval to watch on !!
    It is also a question, what means this lost battle on homeground for Mikko-I mean about motivation ???
    I understand Mikko's fans-it is hard to belive, but Loeb has now all the best cards in his hands.
    Germany, France and Spain-three big wins in the row.....
    ucci

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jure dvorsek
    It is nice to read all opinions-but from my point of view Loeb has made the last step to the fifth title-if no technichal problems stops C4, no way Mikko can beat Seb. Last year at this time he was 13 points behind Markus, now yust one. And on tarmac-no chance for Mikko to be in front of both Citroen's. Even more-has has also Duval to watch on !!
    It is also a question, what means this lost battle on homeground for Mikko-I mean about motivation ???
    I understand Mikko's fans-it is hard to belive, but Loeb has now all the best cards in his hands.
    Germany, France and Spain-three big wins in the row.....
    Well, nothing is certain on Earth. For example, Basso was also favorite to win in Madeira, but... One mistake, and even great pace isn't enough to clinch the victory. And even Loeb, even on his favorite ground in Germany or France, isn't guaranteed to triumph: a wrong tyre choice, the weather's surprise or smth else, not talking about possible technical problems, can deprive him of victory. So we just have to wait and see, but not rush in conclusions that the destiny of the championship is already decided - it's actually a reall bull..., especially in motorsport. Being the best driver out there, Seb can surely set a new record of 7 wins on one event in a row, but at the same time with just the same probability he can retire: we can't know the outcome before the rally finishes.
    Martin Holmes about Sebastien Loeb: "Misery is being beaten when you just can't understand why".

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Back from Finland - had a blast! Also got an honorary diploma in Finnish Sauna stamina!

Look out for Matti Rantanen - 7th in his first outing in a WRC car, beating Munchi's guys and Matthew Wlson and others.

First batch of my pics are on http://www.kickastra.com. Much more to come.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonlint

Look out for Matti Rantanen - 7th in his first outing in a WRC car, beating Munchi's guys and Matthew Wlson and others.

Now theres a result totally overlooked here, who is he? Is this really his 1st WR car drive? Or his 1st time using one on a WRC event? Certainly a great showing from him over the weekend. I'd like to know more about him and his plans etc as he was totally unknown to me on thursday.
    Deep down I'm a sound bloke!

Liked 61 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cut the b.s.
    Now theres a result totally overlooked here, who is he? Is this really his 1st WR car drive? Or his 1st time using one on a WRC event? Certainly a great showing from him over the weekend. I'd like to know more about him and his plans etc as he was totally unknown to me on thursday.
    He's 27, finished 3rd in JWRC on rally Finland 2006 as a guest driving a group N Civic. Has been driving a group N Mitsu for 1,5 year now. First time on a WRCar.