Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Very true. See what happens if you call him a Yankee
    Chrome Horn Racing
    Will Power, 2011 Champion!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Monaco
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason-Dixon_line

There is a map in this link that places Florida, Kentucky and Texas into the category of sometimes included as part of the South.

That said, Kentucky was a slave state until after the war. The Confederate States of America also claimed it as their territory, even though it never formally succeded.

But the real test is to tell a Kentuckian that he isn't part of the south. I did that once, and I won't do it again.

I live on that boder and trust me, Kentucky is part of the south. Ask anyone who lives on either side of the Ohio river. I say this with no malice or prejudice. My mother was from Kentucky and my dad is from Ohio.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I am talking from a marketing/Sponor perspective.
    The race in Sparta Kentucky is not a "Southern" Race.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Road America and Cleveland need to be on that schedule! Then its perfect. That would add 20 races. In 4-8 years i hope that it will be 30 races a year and its a real possibility if NASCAR starts to fall a bit and open wheel makes a comeback.
    long live Champcar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    I am talking from a marketing/Sponor perspective.
    The race in Sparta Kentucky is not a "Southern" Race.

You might want to look at a map and note how close Sparta is to two major metorpolitan cities in KY. And further note how much marketing THEY do in said cities. And then ask folks in both Lousiville and Lexington about being southern or not. Just because YOU are in the deep south does not make KY any less southern.

Was St. Pete a "southern" race?

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ok now I've heard just about everything!!! Texas and Kentucky aren't Southern?????? If that is the case just what the H-E-Double Hockey Sticks is????

Atlanta? Tried the oval, too much like all the others. Road Atlanta might be ok. But then again maybe there are too many carpetbaggers in Atlanta.

Birmingham? Barber Motorsports park would be awesome, didn't they test there last year? Oh wait that might be confused with the town in the UK so that ain't southern either.

What exactly would please you?
    The overall technical objective in racing is the achievement of a vehicle configuration, acceptable within the practical interpretation of the rules, which can traverse a given course in a minimum time. -Milliken

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    You might want to look at a map and note how close Sparta is to two major metorpolitan cities in KY. And further note how much marketing THEY do in said cities. And then ask folks in both Lousiville and Lexington about being southern or not. Just because YOU are in the deep south does not make KY any less southern.

Was St. Pete a "southern" race?

Gary
    Ok
    I am talking Geographic Marketing.

Sparta Ky can be where guys from the south take their sisters out on their first dates for all I care.

Sparta TV stations:
    WXIX - Cincinnati, OH (33) FOX
    WCPO- Cincinnati, OH (9) ABC your IRL Network!
    WLWT- Cincinnati, OH (5) NBC

Cincinnati is in the South now?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    Ok
    I am talking Geographic Marketing.

Sparta Ky can be where guys from the south take their sisters out on their first dates for all I care.

Sparta TV stations:
    WXIX - Cincinnati, OH (33) FOX
    WCPO- Cincinnati, OH (9) ABC your IRL Network!
    WLWT- Cincinnati, OH (5) NBC

Cincinnati is in the South now?

Ok, fine let's talk geography then. Cincinnati is about 45 miles from Sparta. Lousiville is about 60 miles and Lexington about 68 miles. So tell me about this so called "geographic marketing" that would exclude those two major metropolitan areas and only market to Cincinnati. If you can show me such a marketing plan than I would agree the KY race is not a southern race. But since I happen to know for a fact that the race IS marketed in both Lousiville and Lexington and I also know those are considered Southern cities. I think it would be a real stretch to claim that this is not indeed a southern race.

Gary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My gosh, anthony, Henderson, Ky., is across the river from Cincinnati, and it's where the Cincinnati airport is located, and even IT'S considered a southern city by most. You can tell by people's way of speech who lives north and south of the Ohio.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MAX_THRUST

Night race at cleveland, Road AMerica would be good and so would would Portland.
    I would like to see them go to Cleveland, thought I think a night race would be a unnecessary cost.

Now, I haven't been to RA since 2002 (I think), but IMO time has passed that facility by in the same way F1 passed Watkins Glen by. There is nothing there as far as spectator amenities goes, and look at all of the problems CC had with the owners/promoters in the past.

I do think that they need to expand to warmer weather locations if you want to lengthen the season.
    Most posters on this forum can't think past their own screen names...