Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts

Is anyone else gay for Blu-Ray?

Sorry if there has been something about this already, but with the format war over I was just wondering if anyone was converting to Blu-Ray DVDs?

I have six or so films now and have started to really enjoy the better picture quality to the point where I'm now reluctant to buy a film on regular DVD. I tend to buy films that can really showcase the format such as the new Bond, Black Hawk Down, I Am Legend etc, but I cant quite understand how old films can be updated to such great quality and wondered if anyone had seen any. I'm not about to update my entire collection but I think its great knowing you are watching better then cinema-quality in your own home.

I was also wondering how noticable the jump up from HD to full 1080p is. I cant fathom it being that much better but I was wondering whether to upgrade my older LCD.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    To me it just seem's like another way of trying to get more money from us. Firstly you need to get a DVD player which recognises Blu Ray more money and then the Blu Ray discs themselves cost more dont they??
    So i cant be bothered with this im happy with quality of DVD's is Blu Ray really that much better anyway.
    It's like HD channels on sky you have to pay enough for sky as it is, then a load more for HD i dont think its worth it really.
    Colin McRae

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Films are shot on film anyway (the clue is in the name!) so upgrading old films to high def isn't an issue.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I'd say it's worth it

It's a bit sad that Blu-Ray won..... HD-DVD was cheaper to manufacture, cheaper to licence and it was also region free which is a good thing.

If we get a 1080p TV I'll probably buy a player if they come down to around £100 but hopefully by then HD-downloads will be more commonplace as I don't see the point in owning a disc when I just want to see a movie.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I may buy one when i get a new DVD player then.

But lets face it, it wont be long before another format comes out
    Colin McRae

Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts
    I've heard people say that Blu-Ray might have won out purely because the name sounded better.

Obviously there are a multitude of other reasons. Daniel is right region free is a great feature, although some Blu-Ray films (Paramount I think) are also region free.

As for the PQ on Blu-Ray, I too couldn't see how it could be better then on DVD but some stuff is pretty jawdropping. Obviously some films lend themselves to it much more. I'd definately recommend I Am Legend as a great HD picture transfer.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmi
    I've heard people say that Blu-Ray might have won out purely because the name sounded better.
    Yup.... some people went on about how Blu-Ray discs could hold more data and how that made them better. Great for a storage format (who burns stuff to CD when you've got DVD's for the same price unless you're wanting to burn a music disc) but for video I think cost and the fact that HD-DVD is region free was a better idea for it to succeed but alas it's not worked out that way.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by St3ve
    I may buy one when i get a new DVD player then.

But lets face it, it wont be long before another format comes out
    I think you'll find it's a while before a new video format comes out. Standard Definition has been around for aaaaages You'll see 100hz tv's becoming a lot more fashionable before you see Quad HD TV's on the market.

There won't be anything coming along soon which will usurp Blu-Ray in terms of resolution till sometime mid way through the next decade. Downloads might be the thing to kill Blu-Ray off though unless people who can't grasp the idea of owning a licence do their thing and prop it up

I just wish the boneheads in government would realise that fast broadband is a requirement of a country like the United Kingdom and bite the bullet and roll fiber out so we could download movies at a reasonable speed!

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    ... You'll see 100hz tv's becoming a lot more fashionable before you see Quad HD TV's on the market...
    120Hz televisions are pretty much the norm nowadays, at least from what I can see from the local electronics store adverts
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    ...I just wish the boneheads in government would realise that fast broadband is a requirement of a country like the United Kingdom and bite the bullet and roll fiber out so we could download movies at a reasonable speed!
    It's not really up to the government is it? It's up to the local telecom companies to provide the fibre optic infrastructure. The cost of doing this vs. satellite transmission is what's holding them back.
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti