Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

More talk of Palm Springs Race for 2008

http://www.thedesertsun.com/apps/pbc...701260331/1004

No need for speed just yet in consideration of Grand Prix
    Racing in Palm Springs? Maybe, but not without planning

The Desert Sun
    January 26, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If Palm Springs City Council strikes a deal to produce an Indianapolis 500-style racing event - during the typically slow, post-Labor Day tourist season in September - it could be a boon for hoteliers, restaurateurs and merchants in Palm Springs and across the valley.
    But it must be done right.

The council soon will consider a proposal by the owners of the Indianapolis 500 and the Indy Racing League to produce the "Palm Springs Grand Prix" - a four-day event that could bring 135,000 people to the valley and would be internationally broadcast on ABC and ESPN.

The Grand Prix would take place in September 2008.

Big business

About 1,500 people, those who travel with the race circuit, including pit crews, drivers, mechanics and officials, would be in town even longer. That means more hotel nights, more meals at area restaurants and more business for local stores and services.
    Palm Springs is no stranger to street racing. The event would be similar to the Vintage Auto Racing Association races that took place in the city in the 1990s with marginal financial success for the promoters.

The difference would be a longer track: Vintage cars competed on a 1.2 mile course, while Indy cars motored through a 2.4 mile track.

And the Indy cars - and yes, these are the same cars that race around the track every May in Indianapolis - will go at much higher speeds, as much as 200 mph in straightaways. The vintage cars, on the other hand, traveled a comparatively slow 100 mph.

While we won't jump the gun and wave a green flag at the idea, we believe the event has the potential to be a landmark event for Palm Springs and the entire valley. It must be produced properly, of course, with community input and with the safety of residents, fans, tourists and drivers at the forefront of organizers' plans.

As far as safety is concerned, the track will be self-contained. The perimeter would be constructed with three-foot concrete racing barriers. On top of the barriers would be a 12-foot, chain-link fence that would catch any debris, said John Raymond, the city's director of community and economic development.
    In the past, some of the vintage car races were held in the area of Section 14 - around Indian allotee land near the Convention Center, said Rob Parkins, general manager for the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway. Parkins served as Palm Springs city manager when then-Mayor Sonny Bono first proposed the idea for the races.

Parkins said the only logistical problem he remembered during those days was the difficulty in getting permits from some allottees allowing the cars to travel in the vicinity of their land.

The decision of where to locate the event is one of the most important decisions the council and organizers will have to make.

As City Manager David Ready has acknowledged: "We have to do it in a way that the city doesn't shut down." We couldn't agree more.

Move cautiously

City officials are not yet certain what it will cost to host the event. Obviously, we will want to make certain appropriate financial safeguards are instituted.
    If the City Council gives a go-ahead to negotiating with the group, the city will have 145 days to come up with the logistics. For example, more than two miles of city streets would need to be repaired - meaning no potholes - to allow the cars to reach up to 200 mph.

Council will consider the event again at its Feb. 7 meeting. We urge them to keep moving forward, but under a caution flag to make sure this potentially lucrative event is fully studied.
    "No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair." - General George S. Patton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Would this be an oval, road course, or temporary course?
    \"If you have a problem with what I\'m doing, talk to me, get it all out, then shut up.\" - Juan Pablo Montoya
    \"I tell ya, if my name was \'Juan Pablo Montoya,\' everyone would just kiss my ass!\" - David Letterman
    \"That was a mugging.\" - Tommy Kendall \"You can\'t spell \'fiasco\' without the FIA.\" Those are shark gills, not shark fins! Get it right!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic
    Would this be an oval, road course, or temporary course?
    It wouldn't be an oval. It would probably be a "temporary course" but whether of airport, streets or parking lots is undecided.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    And the Indy cars - and yes, these are the same cars that race around the track every May in Indianapolis - will go at much higher speeds, as much as 200 mph in straightaways.
    Yeah, right.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The closest Palm Springs will get to a street race is two hookers chasing the same John.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Well, I read the proposal as it was on PDF and someone linked to it a few weeks back ( I forget which thread now ) and it is legit. Tony is serious about this. I don't get it, I don't see why they want to go there when they bailed on Fontana, race up state in Sonoma and bailed on Phoenix to the east. Maybe it will work, but you are really now pushing yourself into Champ Car's turf by running a street race. I thought everything the CCWS or CART did was bad? AT least, that was the rationale in the early days of the IRL.

I think if the IRL wants more events, go to places where no one has gone and put on races on RACE tracks. Make yourself different than a Champ Car clone when you add new events. I am not against the race in Palm Springs, I just think it is too small a town, and what is more, they have a lot of competition with Champ Car running in Vegas, Long Beach and Phoenix.

If the IRL wants to grow and prosper, they have to hit new markets. The southeast is begging for someone to try an open wheeled race north of the Florida border. You run Savannah's old course, maybe run Road Atlanta or Barber, and I can see it drawing better. What is more, you would be running on two really nice racing plants that will show your cars to the best of ability.

Weefly might be right, but I never underestimate Tony in his quest. What that quest is, I am not sure anymore...
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Palm Springs is a retirement community. The residents even fuss during spring break. I wonder if they plan on holding the race around the same time. There's an interesting way to introduce the college kids to racing. The Spring Break Grand Prix of Palm Springs.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Weefly, you are a sick demented man, and I like the way you think!!!!
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".