Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knock-on
    I think there is a question about whether a manufacturer will stay in F1 just because of KERS.
    It does seem a little odd to say, as Max does in his letter, that "without the KERS initiative, some major sponsors might have already left" F1.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    It does seem a little odd to say, as Max does in his letter, that "without the KERS initiative, some major sponsors might have already left" F1.
    Ooops, bad me. I just tend to skim read the drivel coming from Max these days and got Manufacturers and Sponsors mixed up.

So, what Major Sponsors would have left F1 if KERS wasn't implemented?

Can't see it myself, however, ioan likes to argue Max's corner so perhaps he can develop one of his far left opinions on this

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm not so sure about major sponsors of old leaving without KERS. Most of them used to be tobacco sponsors. Maybe, there are some current new major sponsors that would not have entered into F1 had it not been for the implemenation of KERS.

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knock-on
    Ooops, bad me. I just tend to skim read the drivel coming from Max these days and got Manufacturers and Sponsors mixed up.
    I wondered if Max meant manufacturers, but it's hard to see him mixing them up in a letter

Ferrari are one manufacturer who have voiced their criticisms about KERS. Piero Ferrari said:
    "We should reflect on many of the technical and sporting decisions taken in F1 lately. The way the regulations are right now, we can't re-design a single part to improve it. It's excessive. Ferrari have great engine guys twiddling their thumbs....By contrast, they make us spend time and money to design the KERS, for which we can't evaluate the costs precisely because it's a new technology...To acquire that know-how will cause high levels of spending over the years, it's not the best solution to reduce costs. Engine recovery is fine, but not this way."
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Right now we already basically have a spec engine because of the tightness of the regulations but without the excitement of possible engine failures (unless the exhaust falls off).

Admittedly with spec engines we'll still be unlikely to have engine failures but the cost of producing engines would be much reduced.