Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxu05
    It seems that many people expect CS to be a rock star or an entertainer. There have been a few riders that have been extroverts, Barry Sheene, Rossi spring to mind. I have watched Lorenzo try to emulate Rossi with his post race celebrations, and IMO, just looks foolish. I would rather that CS does his own thing, and that's just what he does. If there is a problem with the bike, he says it, if he makes a mistake, he says it. I don't like to see riders have a problem, and smile at the camera like everything is cool just to appease the sponsors. Mick Doohan told it like it is, Bayliss tells it like it is. I guess that's the way Aussies are, NO BS
    I agree with that. Doesn't stop him from being boring though : I don't want all riders to be like Rossi, it's bad enough with 1. What I would like to see is a little more emotion from the guy, he's like a freaking robot. Same goes for Dani.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Yeah..........must be a bit of a bore to some people seeing that Casey Stoner is just a stock-standard, uncomplicated, well-rounded, experienced, cool-headed, top-shelf rider and world champion who doesn't even wear his cap back-to-front.

If you want a performing seal, go to Disneyland or Sea-World.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Richardson
    Yeah..........must be a bit of a bore to some people seeing that Casey Stoner is just a stock-standard, uncomplicated, well-rounded, experienced, cool-headed, top-shelf rider and world champion who doesn't even wear his cap back-to-front.
    Ummm, yeah. That was pretty much my point. As I said already, one performing seal is enough and he's pretty damn good at it.

No one has called into question the talent of the bloke but if I was given the option of going down the pub with either him or Colin Edwards or Nicky, or Vale then I'd choose one of the latter 3 because I get the impression that by about half nine Casey would be making his excuses and going home*. I'm not saying that he's not what a bike rider should be but that he is a bit of a dull bloke (at least that's the impression I get). It is far easier to acheive legendary status if you are also a bit of a character (whether you like it or not, it is most probably true).

If Casey continues to have a bike which he can win with then he will become a legend but it would be quicker to happen if he had a different image. I'm not saying that it's right that it should be that way, just that I believe it to be the case.

*Mind you the missus isn't a bad excuse to go home at 9:30

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Richardson

If you want a performing seal, go to Disneyland or Sea-World.
    Sandra O is YUMMY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    For being World Champions, both the Ducati bike and Stoner himself remain as enigmatic as ever, making questions like this practically unanswerable.

We saw Ducati relatively competitive right out of the box in MotoGP, then take a step backwards, then find their way again with Capirossi. Stoner has made inferrences to the fact that the Capirossi-era bike and his are basically incomparable. So, coupled with the fact that Melandri says he can't turn the thing, is this bike even all that great? Did it actually take a step *backwards* last year? Sure, it's quick in a straight line, but is it more delinquent in the corners as it is dominant on the straights? And is its straight-line prowess at least somewhat due to Stoner's superior corner exits?

I don't think anyone knows the answer to these questions. Well, actually, quite a few people do, but I don't think Ducati would tell the world how Stoner has to work miracles to compensate for their sub-standard bike, if that were the case.

Maybe just as apt a question is, how good is Niccolo Canepa?

I don't think the racing world has seen a situation like this; where you have a championship-winning vehicle, a quality 2nd driver/rider (a world champion in his own right!) of like nationality that one would think is getting full factory support (both mechanically AND emotionally), and yet he can't ride/drive the vehicle. He just can't.

It's a weird deal. But one thing no one can do, given the information we have, is say that Stoner is overrated, or that he's just winning because of the bike; the evidence just doesn't support that.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theugsquirrel
    1. Can he keep up his constant demolition of teammates?

2. How many more years of riding at this level (or higher) will it take for Stoner to become a motorcycling 'great' the same way that Rossi or Agostini or Hailwood are?
    He will NEVER be an Ago or "The Doctor". He is a young kid with a rocket for a bike. There is one kid who is about to become the man, it's not Stoner.
    Webber is the most overrated driver in F1, it is time for him to move over for a better prospect

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    A rocket of a bike that only one rider has mastered. before 2007, Casey had not won a world title, Melandri had, so he is no mug. We have 3 other riders aboard the Ducati, yet they struggle from week to week. So you are saying that a rider that can master the hardest bike to ride in the Motogp paddock, battle with arguably the greatest rider in Motogp/500cc history and beat him, has no hope of becoming one of the greats. All I can say is "watch this space"
    Sandra O is YUMMY

Aah crap. DezinerPaul is here. There goes the friendly neighbourhood.

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DezinerPaul
    He will NEVER be an Ago or "The Doctor". He is a young kid with a rocket for a bike. There is one kid who is about to become the man, it's not Stoner.
    Thanks for once again presenting your opinions as facts.

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by St3ve
    Yep Stoner is a great rider but for me personally its more enjoyable to see a great battle at the front of the field lets hope that happens at the next round
    It's happened several times with Stoner, like Catalunya last year, and Qatar last year. Edge of your seat racing, and great duelling.

You'll see more of it when Stoner's bike is evenly matched with the frontrunners.

Anyone who thinks Stoner is boring on the bike just might be overlooking Pedrosa! I've never seen him in a duel, because whenever he's challenged he just goes backwards!