Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyre Warmers

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Bridgestone need to fit a valve cap that has a little red thingy in the centre that will only stay popped out if the minimum suggested pressure is present in the tire .
    I apologise in advance if I'm being too technical , but "little red thingy" is what they are called .

Liked 646 Times in 511 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan
    Bridgestone need to fit a valve cap that has a little red thingy in the centre that will only stay popped out if the minimum suggested pressure is present in the tire .
    I apologise in advance if I'm being too technical , but "little red thingy" is what they are called .
    Bag's I'm not sure if you are being serious or not, but it seems to me that if the pressure
    is adjusted to be at the bare minimum when at rest with tires up to temp.
    What happens when the car uses a curb and the tire is off the ground?
    Wouldn’t that register as lower pressure, thus activating the little "thingy" :
    Actually I don't care if they use warmers or not!
    May the forza be with you

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Sorta like the little red thingy that my wife uses to indicate when the turkey is done.

(...and still manages to overcook the damn bird )
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    ... "little red thingy" is what they are called .
    Woot Woot... Baggie,

"little red thingy" sounds like a sale promotion item from

Victoria's Secrets.

And to think,

This used to be a Family Site...

before the release of Max's home movies.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    These Big Boys should be able to drive without "tire warmers".

Every other series that I'm aware of... gets along without them.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Banning tire warmers gives drivers a choice between two unsafe courses of action: A. Zigzag at the start - yikes! B. Drive the first couple of laps on dangerously slippery tires.

It also means that cars coming back onto the track after long pit stops will either be driven at dangeousouly high speeds, or be unsafely out-of-sync with the flow of traffic.

A car on cold tires - especially cold slicks - behaves very unpredictably. A car on warm tires is a completely different animal than the same car on cold tires.

It makes no sense to throw away such cheap safety devices.

Ddms

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazio
    Bag's I'm not sure if you are being serious or not, but it seems to me that if the pressure
    is adjusted to be at the bare minimum when at rest with tires up to temp.
    What happens when the car uses a curb and the tire is off the ground?
    Wouldn’t that register as lower pressure, thus activating the little "thingy" :
    Actually I don't care if they use warmers or not!
    Taz , it's all about a minimum pressure .
    If the tire is at rest , unmounted , it would be at it's minimum pressure .

If there were no tire warmers , it would be easy to see the valve's thingy , and there would be no doubt about starting pressure being below recommended low limits .

If they went one farther , and stuck an LED light in the thingy , we might all be able to see it , even on track , spinning , and recognise an issue with a tire going down for any given racer . It would sure play well at night races .

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Using Nitrogen or a combo of Nitrogen & CO2 (Ferrari's cocktail) when inflating the tires,

reduces the increase in pressure as tires warm-up.

Seems as though the Bridgestone's could be inflated at the recomended mininium psi... without over pressurizing the tires when warm.

DAS monitors tire pressure... so it should be easy to determine if tires are under-inflated.

Using air to inflate tires would cause problems as air contains moisture. The pressure could increase ~10/12 psi...

Even more if the tire starts out under-inflated.

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    OK!! How about a special tyre valve that starts to pump air into the tyre with each bump on the tyre if the pressure is below a set value? So the tyre automatically inflates until the set pressure is reached. Then when it heats up, and the pressure increases, the valve let's the air out until the pre-set pressure is restored in the tyre.

Great Idea????
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Valve Bounce
    OK!! How about a special tyre valve that starts to pump air into the tyre with each bump on the tyre if the pressure is below a set value? So the tyre automatically inflates until the set pressure is reached. Then when it heats up, and the pressure increases, the valve let's the air out until the pre-set pressure is restored in the tyre.

Great Idea????

There is a tire valve that

"BLEEDS OFF PRESSURE" as the tires warm up.

Theory is that you could start on cold tires at proper inflation pressure and the valve would bleed off any additional pressure generated as the tires warm up.

As far as I know... no one is using these valves in racing... seems that the bleed off valve is unreliable.