Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts

Casey Stoner getting booed at Donington

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What the hells that about?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I think it's disgraceful.As an example, I hate watching Heehaw win, but, would never boo the guy. I think credit where it's due is something that the fans should take on board. If spectators react in this way, it will only hurt the sport in the UK IMO.
    Sandra O is YUMMY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    it was more than just booing. apparently, a few fans flipped him off and one held a large banner that read "Stoner is a **"
    mmmmm, makes a nice sandwich. a nice sandwich.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If the Donington GP is anything like the Australian GP, the problem is probably the morons in the crowd who aren't really into bike racing but who go just because it's a big occasion to go to - and get pissed and act like d$#@heads.

This element of the Philip Island crowd caused a huge police crack-down in Cowes, the main township on PI. To give you an idea of what Cowes used to be like - after the 1998 GP, I and my mates rode into Cowes, where the main street was competely blocked off to all but bikes and pedestrians. The night before (Sat night) we'd been there and saw all sorts of shenanigans - burnouts, wheelies etc - but it seemed a bit quieter on the Sunday afternoon. But I wanted to do a burnout to finish off what I'd started outside my mate's holiday house the night before so I rode up to a cop and said 'is a burnout ok mate?'

He replied, 'sure, just use your head mate', so I rolled away about 10 metres, and lit it up for a minute or so The cop and his colleagues clearly enjoyed it as much as anyone else.

The following year, that sort of stuff disappeared, and I was there and saw the reason why - carloads of idiots causing trouble, and ruining the whole thing for the bikers.

Sounds like football hooligans have decided that MotoGP is yet another good occasion to get smashed?
    Phantom... Bike Who Parks

"It's a tour, not a race... but don't get in my way while I'm touring!"

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    I've always had the impression that bike racing people are a fairly good crowd so this is shocking to see and annoying that it's my country that's done it. Obviously people wanted JT (and Rossi) to do well but I don't see the point in booing someone who was just better on the day.

Even in football (certainly what I go to watch most weeks) there seems to be reasoning behind the booing, be it because a player left the club to play elsewhere or because of a bad challenge. Booing someone just for being damn good is stupid and pointless.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jan Yeo
    I've always had the impression that bike racing people are a fairly good crowd so this is shocking to see and annoying that it's my country that's done it. Obviously people wanted JT (and Rossi) to do well but I don't see the point in booing someone who was just better on the day.

Even in football (certainly what I go to watch most weeks) there seems to be reasoning behind the booing, be it because a player left the club to play elsewhere or because of a bad challenge. Booing someone just for being damn good is stupid and pointless.
    I'd agree with this. We certainly don't need that type of 'fan' in Moto GP. Just what is their problem with Stoner? Because he beats Rossi? Just grow up, please. Or are they jealous of his stunning wife. The guy is a fantastic rider, the only one who can get a tune out of the Ducati.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yep, agreed with the comments above.

Unfortunately, it seems that with increased popularity of bike racing it looks like a small number of the 'moron contingent' were let in on raceday - I heard Casey's comments while I was there but didn't notice it myself (I was out by the Old Hairpin where a lot of the crowd is). There was 'usual' stuff like a cheer going up when Andrea Iannone fell, but that was because it put Scott into the lead - as Iannone walked away he got a large round of genuine applause. On the whole, the crowd were very good - the couple next to us wanted to go for a wander and left us with their massive picnic basket full of fantastic food, saying we were free to help ourselves.

All I can say is: the people who booed Casey and rushed onto the track before the race was over need to take a look at themselves and do better in future.
    "Of course, what many people tend to forget is that Glen Richards was 2nd in the 1993 Australian 125cc championship" - Jack Burnicle on BSB at Snetterton, June 2008

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    His nickname is 'Moaner Stoner'.

Maybe that's got something to do with it?

This year especially. He's been shabby this year compared to last year. The margin between Ducati/Stoner and the rest has closed and he's been making 'excuses'.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Stoner doesn't complain any more than anyone else in the paddock. I've never seen him 'moan' about anything.
    go speed racer go