Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 years ago...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VkmSpouge
    Gosh, ten years ago. I was 14 at the time and convinced my Dad that it would be a family day out in lovely weather...well the weather didn't do it's bit but Nigel Mansell and some fantastic racing certainly did. I do remember getting quite car sick on the way to Donington Park, thankfully it was worth it
    That was exactly what happened to me. Only been to one BTCC race previous to that anyway (Donington the year before) this race got me hooked. I'm waiting for ITV to bring it up while they are talking about the 50 years of the BTCC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The first thing you notice is how much faster they are! Not just in a straight line, but they corner quicker and accelerate out of a bend speedier too; plus they look more like normal cars.

Why were they faster? Surely the modern 2.0 engines are as powerful as the old units.

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    I believe that the rules were altered to make touring cars more accessible on the basis that slower = cheaper. Not sure on that though.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamM
    I'm waiting for ITV to bring it up while they are talking about the 50 years of the BTCC
    Already missed it I'm afraid, they had it on a couple of meetings ago.

Its certainly one of the best races in BTCC history, Wasn't it one of the few races that Sunday Grandstand covered live that year?
    liveries.batracer.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by c8nay
    Already missed it I'm afraid, they had it on a couple of meetings ago.

Its certainly one of the best races in BTCC history, Wasn't it one of the few races that Sunday Grandstand covered live that year?
    Ahhh WHAT! Probably one of the ones I went to, Blast!

I dug my old tape out with it on today, and yes it was one of 3? live meetings that year

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Yes, it was shown live. The first race over-ran quite substantially because of all the safety car periods! The other live meetings in 1998 were the first Brands and the second Thruxton.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I did think at the time that it was a pretty bad coincidence that I had chosen to go to a race that was being aired live on TV, still didn't care once the racing started. I still have the programme from that race, it still has it's dimples from being rained on. The cover's headlines were:

"Nigel's back...
    Leslie aims for repeat success here...
    but Rydell heads the points"

One thing that bugged me was that each of the works teams gets an entire page, except Ford who get two. The five independents got just two, both of which are very much segregated from the rest by the lap chart section and the Nigel Mansell supplement. Have to say I did love the Norwegian flag livery on Möen's Accord.
    Blackadder! Blackadder! With many a cunning plan,
    Blackadder! Blackadder! You horrid little man.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I did think at the time that it was a pretty bad coincidence that I had chosen to go to a race that was being aired live on TV, still didn't care once the racing started. I still have the programme from that race, it still has it's dimples from being rained on. The cover's headlines were:

"Nigel's back...
    Leslie aims for repeat success here...
    but Rydell heads the points"

One thing that bugged me was that each of the works teams gets an entire page, except Ford who get two. The five independents got just two, both of which are very much segregated from the rest by the lap chart section and the Nigel Mansell supplement. Have to say I did love the Norwegian flag livery on Möen's Accord.
    Blackadder! Blackadder! With many a cunning plan,
    Blackadder! Blackadder! You horrid little man.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Les
    I can remember being at home before the days of being on the net and live timing or live tv and just saying to hubby 'I wonder who won today?'.
    So we got out the phone book and phoned Knockhill circuit and this very nice lady told me Derek... Nearly fell off my seat.

And I missed both of his podiums
    I was there, and have a bit of chrome from the back of Clelland's vauxhall to prove it!

Later in the day, I went to the toilets behind the pit straight, and found myself standing next to Derek Warwick.
    If you aren't touching, you aren't racing.

Thumbs up qinqindear

Very good, wholesale approved that this viewpoint, china wholesale hoped has is better!