Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 years ago...

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts

10 years ago...

...we saw what I still think is the best BTCC race of all time. What an unrepeatable line-up of drivers fought that one out — Cleland, Mansell, Reid, Leslie, Warwick and Muller in particular. The laps after the safety car were incredibly exciting, backed up by the one of the best live commentaries I've ever heard, courtesy Charlie Cox and John Watson. In the end, of course, it was fortunate that Mansell didn't win because he'd passed Muller under the safety car, but it didn't matter. It was a classic.

Here's some footage — http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXkWUCBoe4k

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Cant believe that was 10 years ago!!!

Whilst watching that linked to some other stuff, Birmingham SuperPrix, had all but forgot about that race meeting.
    Martin C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    god that brings back memories. At the time I was a big Derek Warwick fan and didn't realise he had got 3rd - I just thought he had overtaken Mansel after the chequered flag.
    I've got friends racing all over the world.... good luck to you all.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    One of only two times that Warwick stood on the podium! (I just looked that up).

Great video, I can just about remember watching this on TV, was only ten years old at the time so the specifics weren't too good until now.

Quote Originally Posted by AndySpeed
    One of only two times that Warwick stood on the podium! (I just looked that up).
    The other, of course, being his remarkable Knockhill win from virtually a lap down.

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Didn't see the race (not even sure if we had a telly) but do remember seeing the Motoring News about it. Absolutely love that era of the BTCC and watching it just makes me think that it isn't as good these days. Great stuff from Charlie Cox commentating, I think the second lap in as they go through either Redgate or McLeans he just has to take a giant breath because he hasn't had a chance to stop talking.

One down point of the video was the 'related' section for which the top entry was 'Keith Odor fatal crash'. I don't want to even see links to that kind of thing let alone watch it
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    The other, of course, being his remarkable Knockhill win from virtually a lap down.
    I can remember being at home before the days of being on the net and live timing or live tv and just saying to hubby 'I wonder who won today?'.
    So we got out the phone book and phoned Knockhill circuit and this very nice lady told me Derek... Nearly fell off my seat.

And I missed both of his podiums
    I've got friends racing all over the world.... good luck to you all.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Gosh, ten years ago. I was 14 at the time and convinced my Dad that it would be a family day out in lovely weather...well the weather didn't do it's bit but Nigel Mansell and some fantastic racing certainly did. I do remember getting quite car sick on the way to Donington Park, thankfully it was worth it
    Blackadder! Blackadder! With many a cunning plan,
    Blackadder! Blackadder! You horrid little man.

Let's not forget, of course, that it also turned out to be Cleland's last BTCC race win.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There's some great footage on You tube.... Great racing from back in the day...