Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by millencolin
    If bernie would let them, i think they would. Hamilton fever has taken over. I'd pick a diffrent country for your analogy
    Tell me how solvent are either track? So both can come up with the $35,000,000 sanction of F-1 and together can generate over $70,000,000?

Amazing, the U.S. GP will not take place unless BE gets off that figure and a sponsor writes off half. The U.S. GP lost money every time yet you believe because of Lewis they could handle two.

Send a wee bit of that stuff your drinking.

The Indycar first races of the year were both in Florida, that wasn't a concern to them.
    Two different markets. Both have Baseball, Football and Hockey Teams. If you live near Mid-Ohio you get on I-71 and in an hour and 15 be in town. If you want to see Baseball that is the market, Football or Basketball. Hockey you drive an 1:15 the other way and go to Columbus. Compares not at all. Here we have Markets and M-O and Cleveland are the same.

Lets hope that Cleveland gets the go-ahead because it was one of the classic races. The start into that narrow turn one was always exciting.
    Read Lewis statement "hope" and "we don't want to give any false expectations, either,"

Same language used by the IRL 3 years about Portland. Where or where is it on the schedule?
    Quickest way of killing things with the IRL are "trolling" it to death.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by !!WALDO!!
    Here we have Markets and M-O and Cleveland are the same.
    Absolutely not so. Mid-Ohio might be able to draw much of the market that Cleveland does, but the reverse is not true. There is a sizable portion of the MidOhio crowd coming from southeastern Ohio, northern Kentucky and southeast Indiana. MidOhio is a comfortable day trip for those folks, but Cleveland is not. It's pretty easy to get from Cincinnati to MidOhio on race day and back. No one would dare try that to Cleveland.

Now I realize this would become fodder for your argument that Cleveland can't be on the schedule, but I still wanted to clarify that the two tracks do cover different albeit significantly overlapping markets.

I suspect there is a portion of the Cleveland crowd that comes from northeast of the city that consider MidOhio too far away as well.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    Absolutely not so. Mid-Ohio might be able to draw much of the market that Cleveland does, but the reverse is not true. There is a sizable portion of the MidOhio crowd coming from southeastern Ohio, northern Kentucky and southeast Indiana. MidOhio is a comfortable day trip for those folks, but Cleveland is not. It's pretty easy to get from Cincinnati to MidOhio on race day and back. No one would dare try that to Cleveland.

Now I realize this would become fodder for your argument that Cleveland can't be on the schedule, but I still wanted to clarify that the two tracks do cover different albeit significantly overlapping markets.

I suspect there is a portion of the Cleveland crowd that comes from northeast of the city that consider MidOhio too far away as well.

Gary
    You're right, I forgot you live in Ohio. Viva Cleveland!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Are you aware they basically the same market only weeks apart. Would Silverstone and Brands Hatch have an F-1 GP 4 weeks apart?
    If bernie would let them, i think they would. Hamilton fever has taken over.
    The U.S. GP lost money every time yet you believe because of Lewis they could handle two.
    Waldo, you really do have a penchant for putting words into people's mouths. Where did millencolin say a thing about the US GP??? He said that the two tracks YOU picked would most likely want to each have a race because of Hamilton. You do know what country Hamilton is from right?

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    Waldo, you really do have a penchant for putting words into people's mouths. Where did millencolin say a thing about the US GP??? He said that the two tracks YOU picked would most likely want to each have a race because of Hamilton. You do know what country Hamilton is from right?

Gary

Your right, England can handle two F-1 dates while we can't get one. I am sorry I was making a comparision. Oh btw, both of those tracks I believe are in some form of receivership.

Sure, enough people to cover $70,000,000. Yup, you are right. Not enough here to cover $35,000,000.

I am never right on this stuff. Just keep on hammering away.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Your right, England can handle two F-1 dates while we can't get one. I am sorry I was making a comparision. Oh btw, both of those tracks I believe are in some form of receivership.

Sure, enough people to cover $70,000,000. Yup, you are right. Not enough here to cover $35,000,000.

I am never right on this stuff. Just keep on hammering away.

Spain has 2 f1 races now... Due to the emergence of Fernando Alonso and the fact that populartiy of f1 in spain has also skyrocketed. Spain also has 3 MotoGp round every year due to its immense popularity and corporate might within the sport.

Same can be said in Germany when Schumacher was driving having 2 races every year at Nurburgring and Hockenhiem. The extra Spanish and German races are/were covered with the 'Euro gp' tag (or sometimes, luxembourg gp).

All i was stating was that If bernie would allow a second grand prix in england, im sure it would sell out due to the massive popularity of Lewis Hamilton. Where did i mention the fact that this would occur or where did i mention the United States gp? Perhaps Formula one isnt popular enough? i dont know, I dont know why America doesn't have a grand prix, im not Bernie. So please stop putting words in my mouth and screaming some so called figures at me. Because whatever point youre attempting to make, i'm not sure if its working.

Send a wee bit of that stuff your drinking.
    Fancy a glass of chilled water then? might cool you down a bit. Dont want Wally to get all hot n bothered now :
    Sir! While I disagree with what you are saying, I will fight to the death your right to spell the words incorerctly and use heinous.. grammar yo !!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i guess i shouldn't bring in he ''they used to do it" argument, to an airport closing topic
    I Would Rather Be A Savage Little Elephant, Than Be A Big Bald Bull

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Formula 1 is extremely popular in the UK. almost 4 million viewers per race (which are good viewing figures for any sports on TV in the UK), in comparison IndyCar struggles to get 30,000 veiwers per week over here. Even the Asian 3 o'clock in the morning races get those type of viewing figures! Is there such a big following in the US for F1 that can justify getting the race back?

If Brands was up to scratch for an F1 race it would sell out even if it was the following weekend from Silverstone. Formula 1 is that popular over here! Brands even gets massive crowds every year for A1GP so F1 wouldn't be a problem. And Silverstone sells out every year too and this years race has been sold out for ages. Even with the stupid prices for tickets it still sells out!

Don't forget for years Silverstone and Brands both held races of the F1 calender. They alternated the British GP for years and in the years when Brands wasn't the British GP it held the European GP.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There has been talk here about overlapping markets. Why not take Detroit off the schedule and replace it with Cleveland. The airport race is much better the races on the narrow streets of Belle Isle. What was is 6 cars that finished the race last year and only four on the lead lap? I know the markets of Detroit and Lexington are not overlapping like the markets of Lexington and Cleveland but they are still over 90 miles apart and like it was said before many people from Cleveland won't go to Mid-Ohio and many people from Columbus and Cincinnati would not go to Cleveland so many of the fans won't be the same or take away for each other and the ones who are between the two races might go to both. Also for the fans in Michigan put MIS back on the schedule either as a extra race or replacing a race that isn't drawing well.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Spain has 2 f1 races now... Due to the emergence of Fernando Alonso and the fact that populartiy of f1 in spain has also skyrocketed. Spain also has 3 MotoGp round every year due to its immense popularity and corporate might within the sport.
    They do? Where?

Same can be said in Germany when Schumacher was driving having 2 races every year at Nurburgring and Hockenhiem. The extra Spanish and German races are/were covered with the 'Euro gp' tag (or sometimes, luxembourg gp).
    Now neither track can handle the $35,000,000 except to do it in alternate years.

All i was stating was that If bernie would allow a second grand prix in england, im sure it would sell out due to the massive popularity of Lewis Hamilton.
    At tracks that are Broke, and you never see Bernie reaching into his own pocket even when Silverstone went to Bernie.

Where did i mention the fact that this would occur or where did i mention the United States gp?
    If bernie would let them, i think they would. Hamilton fever has taken over.
    I was comparing the fact that England because of one man could sell two GPs and the U.S. with almost as many people of African descent cannot get a GP because it is a money loser, always has been as by the way, the GP of England.

Perhaps Formula one isnt popular enough? i dont know, I dont know why America doesn't have a grand prix, im not Bernie.
    Too expensive but not too expensive for England, even for two possibly. Based on Bernie's own words I would really start being concerned about hold on to one.

So please stop putting words in my mouth and screaming some so called figures at me. Because whatever point youre attempting to make, i'm not sure if its working.
    What words? Figures? You mean what Bernie is asking for in 2009 per race? I can't scream at you as I am typing words. If you hear screaming then it is in your own mind.

Fancy a glass of chilled water then? might cool you down a bit. Dont want Wally to get all hot n bothered now :
    That is my drink of choice, ice water prior to eating and fast. It causes the body temp to drop then it must burn calories to heat up, so you are burning calories as you eat. I then drinks something that was hot, cold with a stimulant in it and burn more calories.

Just me.