Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_andrew
    A new WSC would be great, but not if the FIA is controlling it. And I don't think the current owners could agree on technical specs let alone race locations.

ALMS and LMS can't even agree on weight for LMP2.
    Run the US races with ine rule and the European ones with another
    Honestly, both series look cool and are different, it's pointless to unify them, I think.
    Formula 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    With talk of the new asian Lemans series coming on line soon, there will almost already be a world series. If the three series align the dates properly a team in theory could run all three series in one year.........
    Indy cars says bye to Sky. Yeah baby.......

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Can't see teams wanting to do a series which means week 1 in Asia, week 2 in America, week 3 in Europe and then week 4 back again in Asia, would be a LOT of travelling. Perhaps more likely could be a "World Cup" or something where 1 event from each series counts towards it, (just picking some here), Maybe Sebring, Fuji and Spa races perhaps with Le Mans too???

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sorry, you are right, what I should have said, If the Asian races were made into a winter series as GP2 asia series, and involved tracks in the middle east as well, i think teams would jump at the chance. If you have a global sponsor as well that would help.

But the idea of three races one from each region, sounds great. Clearly Europe would be Lemans, North America, I guess sebring 12 hours, although the track isn't the USA best track. Which would be the Asian, the Susuka 1000km.

I'm starting to appreciate endurance racing more and more. I think many other fans are as well. The time is right to start expanding.
    Indy cars says bye to Sky. Yeah baby.......

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I stil think there is room for something like a proper series... The ACO should include Le Mans 24hrs in the LMS, then go to Suzuka for a 1000 km race late in the year, that would be series !

Its a joke, that Le Mans 24hrs does not count for any championship, and to have a race where your invitete is crazy, anybody should have a chance to qualify, not just the darlings of ACO !

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    The other problem is cost.

ALMS tried to run on the old Adelaide GP circuit.

I suppose Suzuka 1000km could be Asia's Petit LM if they could persuade the big teams.

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    The other problem is cost.
    Bingo. A globetrotting world series would only work if you got some major investors with a lot of money to spend (see, Middle Eastern oil tycoons, A1GP).

At the moment, besides the Le Mans 24h, sportscars can be ignored by major auto racing series as they just are not a threat at all. And with series like ALMS, the prize money is "barely enough to pay the hotel bills". I'm not sure what ALMS team boss said that, but that does not at all paint a picture of a stable series.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I thought that ALMS is stable.
    Formula 1

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F1boat
    Only for its Can-Am schedule and you've got the factory teams like Audi Sport North America, Penske and Chevy.

ACO recently persuaded the European privateers for LMS after ELMS disbanded. Some teams struggle with Laguna Seca let alone Petit LM.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by F1boat
    It is more than stable, it is actually growing. It just doesn't pay a lot of prize money.
    "Risk sweetens everything" - Peter Revson (1939 - 1974)