Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Should the FIA bring back the World Sportscar Championship?

Should the FIA bring back the World Sportscar Championship?

I was basically equal to Formula 1 at one point, then it was ruined really by the concorde agreement which saw less and less and then no F1 drivers enter Sportscar races. It would be great has it could unite the LMS. ALMS and JLMS, and could include the Le Mans 24 as part of championship or a Non-Championship race.

Please bring it back!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I would love to see it happen but I cant see it happening anytime soon. The collapse of Group C really screwed over sportscar racing.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    The FIA is too wrapped up in Formula 1, and will prevent any series it controls from ever diluting fan interest by becoming too popular. Better to leave sports car racing in the control of the ACO or an independent sanctioning body.
    "Risk sweetens everything" - Peter Revson (1939 - 1974)

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    No

Obviously ALMS is top dog but would be nice for those guys run somewhere like Suzuka 1000, let alone Europe!

LMS is superb now we have the Joest Audis fighting in P1 with Peugeot. Can't wait till end of the summer for Silverstone 1000 - the highlight of my spectating calender!

ACO and IMSA have an outstanding job so there's no reason for them to concede to the FIA.

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FormerFF
    The FIA is too wrapped up in Formula 1, and will prevent any series it controls from ever diluting fan interest by becoming too popular. Better to leave sports car racing in the control of the ACO or an independent sanctioning body.
    Anything that threatens F1 is soon killed off - just look at the WRC and WTCC, both struggle for mainstream coverage, Sportscars was getting far too popular.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    I don't think the lack of coverage given to the WRC and WTCC is down to the FIA deliberately trying to divert attention away from them in favour of F1. There are other issues behind this, I feel.

As for the return of the World Sports Car Championship, I vote 'yes'. If sportscar racing is to have any decent profile, it needs a proper world series.

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    I don't think the lack of coverage given to the WRC and WTCC is down to the FIA deliberately trying to divert attention away from them in favour of F1. There are other issues behind this, I feel.

As for the return of the World Sports Car Championship, I vote 'yes'. If sportscar racing is to have any decent profile, it needs a proper world series.
    I'd agree, especially the WRC which continues to shoot itself in the foot - penalising the Championship leader.

It would be nice to think there was a World Sportscar Championship - which Manufacturers would be involved, what races, TV coverage, who would govern it ( ACO, FIA )?

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Give it to ACO/IMSA.

FIA have ruined some championships with their made-for-TV packages.

Rallying is now a series of stage sprints, FIA GTs are now primarily 2hr races.

ALMS has a mixture of the short races for TV and longer enduros like Petit LM and Sebring.

Saying that, I wouldn't know how to set up the calender, which races should be sprints or enduros!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A new WSC would be great, but not if the FIA is controlling it. And I don't think the current owners could agree on technical specs let alone race locations.

ALMS and LMS can't even agree on weight for LMP2.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FormerFF
    100% agree.

no need for the FIA to take control the sportscar series again
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)