Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZzZzZz
    CART road racing was never a wanna-be version of F1....... The F1 wanna-be argument is B.S.!
    So Bobby Rahal and several other owners went to Europe in 1991 and told Bernie, "We will bury F-1".

Then months later voted down the Sanction of the 500. Not a good year for the old smarts department.

Bernie has a long memory and Rahal is not a person recognized by Bernie as a person breathing, so forget Graham in F-1.

The IRL is more viable because it doesn't compete with the Flea Circus and he wants Indy back. His sponsors are telling him so.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I was all for the merger once it happened. Sadly though, I'm m ot seeing any of the races, because the IRL is too slow to sort out its European tv coverage. Right now they are missing alot of CCWS fans that would have come over. Instead, I'm bored. Its hard to get excited over a series you can't watch for one reason or another. I don't feel the IRL is exactly reaching out to other nations. Sky tv coverage is fine, but is not worth the subscription fee. I aint paying to watch a football channel. Motors TV should pick up the IRL then the IRL will actually get seen........
    Indy cars says bye to Sky. Yeah baby.......

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimispeed
    For me there's just too many frigg'n ovals........

Plus, I miss the atmosphere of Champcar. Not even the same vibe....

Too much like NASCAR.

hmm well...

Iowa Speedway
    Richmond International Raceway
    Watkins Glen Internationa
    Nashville Superspeedway
    Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course
    Streets of Edmonton
    Kentucky Speedway
    Infineon Raceway
    The Raceway at Belle Isle Park
    Chicagoland Speedway

seems like there are 5 ovals and 5 road courses left (6 if you count the non point race)

so, look to he bright side, more road courses in the future for you!!
    I Would Rather Be A Savage Little Elephant, Than Be A Big Bald Bull

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by !!WALDO!!
    So Bobby Rahal and several other owners went to Europe in 1991 and told Bernie, "We will bury F-1".

Then months later voted down the Sanction of the 500. Not a good year for the old smarts department.

Bernie has a long memory and Rahal is not a person recognized by Bernie as a person breathing, so forget Graham in F-1.

The IRL is more viable because it doesn't compete with the Flea Circus and he wants Indy back. His sponsors are telling him so.
    Can I ask how this incoherence is a response to what I said?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    CART road racing was never a wanna-be version of F1.
    Your words and the point that CART wanted to be F-1. According to the powers to be. Coherence enough response for you.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Just think "meds".
    Chrome Horn Racing
    Will Power, 2011 Champion!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ...I would like to see the ICS have a 24+ race season with a 60/40 oval-road/street split.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimispeed
    I love a great oval race! But, open wheel racing should never be dominated by it IMO. Open wheel cars are very nimble. Texas was a pretty good one. Indy, Michigan, Fontana and the paper clip. If Indycar went back to CART of yesteryear then alot of us open wheel folks would be in heaven!!

I agree with you on the final outcome of Champcar, but it also showed some pretty great races on some very nice Road and Street courses.

I didn't mean to offend, but I guess I said it too blatantly.
    AOW has always been dominated by ovals. Drivers grow up racing short tracks and dirt tracks, sprints and midgets, OVALS.

American Open Wheel was started on ovals and has a lot more tradition and history on ovals than road racing.

To say that IndyCar should not be dominated by ovals is a very absurd statement.

I think you might be looking for the F1 forum.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ...AOWR was founded on running ovals, and for a large part of it's history that's all they raced. This idea was resurrected with the formation of the IRL but for a variety of reasons was met with marginal success with fans & sponsors. Far more history and tradition with oval racing than road/street racing.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by indyracefan
    ...AOWR was founded on running ovals, and for a large part of it's history that's all they raced. This idea was resurrected with the formation of the IRL but for a variety of reasons was met with marginal success with fans & sponsors. Far more history and tradition with oval racing than road/street racing.

AOWR was founded with riding mechanics, skinny tires, production type chassis & drivetrains, not to mention engines in front. There's a huge amount of history and tradition there. If the modern race car can evolve out of the past, why can't the tracks they race on? AOWR started on ovals because the infrastructure was already in place, hoarse tracks. Since that time, many road tracks were built. Indy cars have gone away from the lay over Offys and offsett chassis. These cars are built so they can turn right, too. So why not let them?

Jeff
    I got a Nikon camera
    I love to take a photograph -Paul Simon