Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So how is it so far?!!

For me there's just too many frigg'n ovals........

Plus, I miss the atmosphere of Champcar. Not even the same vibe....

Too much like NASCAR.
    :champion:car Continuing since 1909
    http://www.youtube.com/user/champcar4ever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimispeed

Too much like NASCAR.
    So, why are you here? The crappies are still having lots of fun and looking for co-conspirators.
    I read it on the internet, so it must be true

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm still here because I like open wheel racing!!

I get the idea that you would rather Champcar/CART just be forgotten, and treated as if it never existed. Like all of the history that the IRL now owns is never to be used in the same sentence as CART/Champcar.

I loved a series for a very long time. I hope in the future that Indycar can become more like what it bought the rights to CART/Champcar's history to.

This thread was started in order to see how fellow former Champcar fans were feeling about this series so far.

I'm not here to cut it down....... I AM here to try to build it up.

Maybe you think that the same formula that the IRL had was a great one?

I'd prefer to call it Indycar, and help to make it the greatest open wheel series in the world!!

This won't happen though. If people feel aren't open minded.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm still here because I like open wheel racing!!

I get the idea that you would rather Champcar/CART just be forgotten, and treated as if it never existed. Like all of the history that the IRL now owns is never to be used in the same sentence as CART/Champcar.
    CART should not be forgotten, it was the benchmark for what a North American Open Wheel series should be (on the track). Champ Car, on the other hand needs to be forgotten ASAP. Like George's original vision for the IRL, it catered to only a small niche while operating way beyond its resources. To be perfectly honest, it seems like you would be more in line with a America version of GP2 than where the Indycar series is going.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Too much like NASCAR.

I mean that the format seems to be more like NASCARS format.

Was I being harsh??

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BenRoethig
    CART should not be forgotten, it was the benchmark for what a North American Open Wheel series should be (on the track). Champ Car, on the other hand needs to be forgotten ASAP. Like George's original vision for the IRL, it catered to only a small niche while operating way beyond its resources. To be perfectly honest, it seems like you would be more in line with a America version of GP2 than where the Indycar series is going.

I love a great oval race! But, open wheel racing should never be dominated by it IMO. Open wheel cars are very nimble. Texas was a pretty good one. Indy, Michigan, Fontana and the paper clip. If Indycar went back to CART of yesteryear then alot of us open wheel folks would be in heaven!!

I agree with you on the final outcome of Champcar, but it also showed some pretty great races on some very nice Road and Street courses.

I didn't mean to offend, but I guess I said it too blatantly.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I love a great oval race! Texas was a pretty good one. Indy, Michigan, Fontana and the paper clip. If Indycar went back to CART of yesteryear then alot of us open wheel folks would be in heaven!!
    I think that is the intent, but legal contracts got in the way. Champ Car had most of the good street circuits and natural terrain road courses from the original Indy/CART days. By the time reality set in and they realize there was no money for 2008, the IRL already had a firm schedule. The reason that places like Road America, Portland, and Toronto are not because they're unwanted, but because there was no place to put them without being in breach of other contracts.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Too much like NASCAR.
    We're in the IndyCar forum. If we are critical of IndyCar, folks get bent out of shape.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Too much like NASCAR.
    For me, I wouldn't say that there are too many ovals, just too many all bunched together. We had nothing since the end of April, then the Indy 500 and two ovals back-to-back and I'm getting withdrawal symptoms. I need to see cars turning right.

I'm sure it'll be the same for the oval fans when we get to back-to-back road/street courses.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikiec
    For me, I wouldn't say that there are too many ovals, just too many all bunched together. We had nothing since the end of April, then the Indy 500 and two ovals back-to-back and I'm getting withdrawal symptoms. I need to see cars turning right.

I'm sure it'll be the same for the oval fans when we get to back-to-back road/street courses.
    The scheduling needs some work to mix it up more.

I can understand CART fans yearning for the way things were. Hang in there - I think the series will get a whole lot more interesting when they hit the street and road courses. The so-called transition teams will be right up there and we could be looking at about a dozen drivers with a legimate shot at the top spot.