Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SOD
    so says the guy who thinks that by NOT voting that you tell the gubinint that you dont need them.

use your vote wisely.
    Tell me honestly how successful have you been in proving your point to the gubinint through the vote. I haven't been successful at all and speak from experience. I am afraid the result of the referendum will prove me right yet again.

In general the democracy is being eroded all over the world including Europe. Political elites are buying people off with economic prosperity and a healthy dose of individual liberties in return for their political rights.
    Llibertat

Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
    http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/...Referendum.php

Ireland appears to reject EU treaty

DUBLIN, Ireland: Substantial referendum returns show that Ireland has rejected the European Union reform treaty amid a wave of antiestablishment sentiment, Irish government ministers and the state broadcaster RTE said Friday.

Now the question is will the politicians still be able to forcefeed the failed Treaty to the people despite such a crushing defeat. Methinks it's not impossible...
    Llibertat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Tamasz
    In general the democracy is being eroded all over the world including Europe. Political elites are buying people off with economic prosperity and a healthy dose of individual liberties in return for their political rights.
    I agree with you.

Ireland votes NO. Time for the governments to start listening to what their people want, not for what's in it for the so-called elected representatives.

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    The government of Ireland certainly won't be happy to have to explain their country's rejection to the treaty [considering Cowan, Kenny and Gilmore wanted a yes to the treaty.]
    Time for the governments to start listening to what their people want, not for what's in it for the so-called elected representatives.
    Absolutely. I feel our government are becoming whipping boys to the 'elite representatives.' It makes us appear like an almost vulnerable nation. The NO vote that was passed will let the EU know where our people stand but, with such a small margin [percent wise] between YES and NO, I'm afraid that we may have to deal with this again. Hopefully, we have learned from the mistakes of the Nice Treaty and our vote will hold strong.
    Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Cummins
    The government of Ireland certainly won't be happy to have to explain their country's rejection to the treaty [considering Cowan, Kenny and Gilmore wanted a yes to the treaty.]

Absolutely. I feel our government are becoming whipping boys to the 'elite representatives.' It makes us appear like an almost vulnerable nation. The NO vote that was passed will let the EU know where our people stand but, with such a small margin [percent wise] between YES and NO, I'm afraid that we may have to deal with this again. Hopefully, we have learned from the mistakes of the Nice Treaty and our vote will hold strong.
    Hi paddy, nice to see you around.

I cant see this treaty being put to the irish people again. Every EU referendum I can remember had multiple arguments for and against. The govt always got lucky because the people would vote in favour because they dont want us to be the laughing stock of Europe. The EU still exists today, the same it did last Thursday.

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    The big question is why the Lisbon treaty was not put to the people of every country in the EU. Every government ratified the treaty on behalf of each country. That's the worrying thing.
    They will not put it to vote, simply because they well know People will reject this idiocy.
    "signature room for rent"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    funny how politicians are eager to get rid of the powers their electors want them to keep.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Nice to see you around Paddy
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    You too guys! With exams finishing soon, I can focus on motorsport [and, em, politics apparently :] again!
    Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Cummins
    You too guys! With exams finishing soon, I can focus on motorsport [and, em, politics apparently :] again!
    It's funny. I've got a Northern Irish friend who's uber-interested in politics as well. Is everyone from the emerald isle interested in politics?
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.